Poll

What new product or upgrade do you think Bryston should produce next?

DSP upgrade for SP1.7
14 (19.7%)
DVD video player/transport
6 (8.5%)
"Universal Player" (DVD Video, multi-channel DVD-Audio and perhaps also SACD)
11 (15.5%)
Stereo stand-alone CD/SACD player
7 (9.9%)
Stand-alone stereo DAC and/or stand-alone stereo CD transport
11 (15.5%)
A new pre-amp
5 (7%)
A new power-amp
2 (2.8%)
A new integrated amp
1 (1.4%)
Blue-laser video player (e.g. BluRay, HD-DVD)
5 (7%)
New design of home cinema processor (perhaps with > 7.1 audio channels)
4 (5.6%)
Integrated home cinema processor/multi-channel power amp
1 (1.4%)
5.1 channel pre-amp with no processing or DAC abilities
2 (2.8%)
Some other upgrade to an existing product (please specify)
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: 7 Feb 2005, 11:11 am

The people speak out (or at least I hope they will - a bit)

nicolasb

Your vote may or not make a difference. (Just like in a democracy). And just to avoid any possible confusion, no, I am nothing at all to do with Bryston or any of its decision-making processes, I'm just curious to what people think!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2005, 01:25 pm »
Well I will certainly be interested in this one.

james

Levi

Bryston SP1.7 update
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:42 pm »
Am interested in an update or upgrade for better 2ch sound like the BP26 for the Bryston SP1.7.

Levi

jmzzz01

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2005, 04:14 pm »
How about a nice tube preamp? Now that would be cool...

Fife12

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2005, 05:06 pm »
5.1 channel pre-amp with no processing or DAC abilities

jethro

« Reply #5 on: 7 Feb 2005, 10:38 pm »
Excellent Poll Nicolas ! Pat yourself on the back.

gaderson

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2005, 12:46 am »
I'd be interested in both DSP and other upgrades to the SP1.7.  I've been holding off upgrading my SP1 in aticipation of further upgrades.  One would be adding balanced outs for the rear-surrounds--would likely need long cable runs to those channels as I don't really have room for them in my rack, and a pair of PowerPacs would be nice.  DSP, first would be lip-sync delay, but would likely be for upgrades that would be needed for BluRay/HD-DVD audio tracks.  And, I love the fact that video is seperate, but, if audio through HDMI becomes more widespread that may also be needed (though having a digital out from your switch/processor would eliminate that problem).

thomaspf

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2005, 02:21 am »
Upgrade to the connectivity and sound quality of the SP1.7

USB2, 1394, HDMI, Ethernet connectivity

Please observe that all of these are fast enough to transport uncompresed multi-channel audio. I assume that some other shorter lived all digital appliance will do the decoding (either PC or player)  

Dejitter stage with better quality DACs

Cheers

Thomas

antt

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2005, 05:22 am »
Voted for "some other upgrade" so here's the specifics:

Suggestions for upgrades to Bryston SP 1.7:

1) Add an Led to the Volume knob to mark it’s position.  I have no idea why Bryston didn’t do this.  Is it a violation of THX requirements?  I currently have a Denon 5800 which doesn’t display the volume level on the TV screen either.  I find it difficult to read off of the Denon display.  From what I’ve seen of the SP 1.7, it’s display is about the same size as the Denon, but the SP uses a motorized volume control, so it doesn’t do the “hamster wheel” infinite turn and wouldn’t it just make the volume control look sooooo cool as well?
2) USB/RS232 port to computer for updates.
3) Mount the Control Voltage connectors on a plug which plugs into the unit.  Those ultra-tiny screws are effective but an ultra-pain to work with.  It would be nice to work with them in comfort then just plug em in.
4) Add XLR connectors for the rear channel(s).
5) Add non-toggle code equivalents to all commands for the SP 1.7.  To make making macro commands MUCH easier. (Apologies if this has already been done).
6) New DSP if it will improve sound quality.

BeeBop

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2005, 10:59 am »
Personally I think Bryston should stick to audio. Modularity is king and I would rather buy a CD player and DVD player separately so as to focus on getting top functionality in each realm. Also lets me fill in the gaps in my system over time - swallow one piece at a time rather than laying out monster bucks for a one box solution. Right now I have a dvd player in the shop. Has separate lasers for CD and DVD but when the DVD part stopped working I lost both :cry:

jradley

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2005, 04:37 pm »
:oops: I voted DSP upgrade to SP1.7 thinking this would include DAC upgrade.

If a DSP upgrade does not include DAC then am I able to vote again under "other" and specify that ?

Cheers,

John

perose

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2005, 08:01 pm »
Originally posted by BeeBop:
Personally I think Bryston should stick to audio.
I have to agree with you on this.

I voted for the SP1.7 upgrade because there is an established product that has the audio side of HT pretty well covered and an upgrade could breath more life into it while requiring less engineering investment than a new product.

I've been looking for a product that will mate with my current system that has a 2-channel pre-amp with HT by-pass and the SP1.7 is just about perfect. However, there are new formats, digital rights management, etc coming down the pipe that will required more processing horsepower and some of the newer DACs look to be better performers than what's in the current SP1.7. So, I'm sitting on the fence and probably will be for the next year or more until some of this gets sorted.

The only other interesting processor that I've seen is the Integra RDC-7.1 but I'm not sure about the software support being there to keep the product viable and growing. It really is insane having to purchase a new pre/pro for multiple thousands of dollars every 5 or so years.  I have also considered an HTPC but that might be more of a PITA than it's worth.

Bryston has a proven track record from what I've seen with the SP1 => SP1.7 and an update, when the time is right, will prove its commitment to the product. Also, you just have to LOVE the warranty which is another big way that they demonstrate their commitment.

nicolasb

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2005, 09:42 am »
I voted DSP upgrade to SP1.7 thinking this would include DAC upgrade.

The actual DACs in the SP1.7 are pretty good already. IMO what's needed (in basic sound quality terms) is a jitter-removal stage.

I think, for voting purposes, perhaps one should interpret the SP1.7 poll option as meaning "the upgrade or upgrades to the SP1.7 that Bryston has already indicated it is considering implementing". :)

nicolasb

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2005, 02:25 pm »
Well, so far, an upgrade for the SP1.7 and a two-box CD-player solution are well in the lead, with a universal player (DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD) in third place.

If you add in the people who say they want some SP1.7 upgrade other than just a change in the DSP, that puts the "SP1.7 upgrade" category well ahead of everything else.

Only one vote for a 1-box stereo CD player, interestingly, but lots for a separate CD transport and stereo DAC. Aren't we all discerning? :)

Edit: blue-laser video player is moving up the field, but still well behind the leaders....

Adz523

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2005, 02:03 am »
Quote from: nicolasb
If you add in the people who say they want some SP1.7 upgrade other than just a change in the DSP, that puts the "SP1.7 upgrade" category well ahead of everything else.

Did anyone expect otherwise?
As someone posted earlier, Bryston should be focusing on delivering the best audio products it can which differentiates itself from other competing companies at the same price point.  For example, their pre/pro is no question unique and has developed its own niche and noone can come close.  IMO, they should capitalize on this position in the market, dedicating all their resources to take the 1.7  to that "next level".  I say, let Denon, Pioneer and the others develop video technologies, and let Bryston unleash what it does best - top notch audio, all audio, all the time.   It's disturbing to me, and others I have corresponded with, that needed upgrades to the 1.7 quite obviously have been shelved for the time being while at the same timecommunication on this point to its loyal customer base has been "radio silence".  As loyalty does know bounds, I for one hope this trend does not continue.

jimmyp58

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2005, 03:35 am »
I would say that while I have been a huge Bryston fan and also a big supporter of the SP 1.7, I am clearly disappointed in the lack of response and follow through regarding the upgrading of this unit.  It seems that when a controversial question is raised, Bryston goes silent yet when the topic is less dicey, they certainly have no qualms responding.

I am disappointed that after a few posts saying they would be upgrading it, it seems the timeline continues to get pushed further and further back to what I believe will be a time that they will simply bring out a new pre/pro rather than upgrade this one.

The unfortunate thing is that ARCAM's AV8 as well as Anthem's Statement D1 have the same issue --- lacking certain 'current' features.  Anthem has promised, like Bryston, that they'd have upgrades available at the end of '04 --- nothing as of yet and from the rumor mill it would appear that they might do something late '05.  ARCAM hasn't said they'd upgrade the AV8 yet it has been around for about 3 years and no upgrades are planned at this time.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

nicolasb

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2005, 03:18 pm »
I must confess I'm also a little dissappointed with the lack of upgrades for the SP1.7. Back in January 2003 I was told that they were considering an upgrade to the TI "Aureus" DSP some time in the first half of 2004.

I believe one factor in the delay is that they later decided that this upgrade should also include some kind of high-bandwidth digital sound input such as Firewire or HDMI - and thus decided to wait until the rest of the industry had decided what the standard was going to be for high-bandwidth digital sound. (This is not just a question of deciding on HDMI vs Firewire, it's also a question of fixing a standard for a DVD-Audio or SACD bitstream).

I sympathise with this position - but, at the same time, given a choice between an upgraded SP1.7 with no high-bandwidth digital input in 2004 and one with such an input in 2006 or 2007, I know which I would have preferred.

I'd still far rather have a no-HDMI upgrade now than a with-HDMI upgrade a year or two from now, come to that. And I have to question whether the industry will ever agree on a standard for DVD-Audio over digital....

Mike Pickett

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2005, 07:25 pm »
Hi All;

We apologise that our meticulous approach to development has resulted in the misapprehension that we have shelved, reprioritized, or otherwise delayed the DSP upgrade for the SP1.7.  We understand that this upgrade is very important to existing SP1.7 owners, and to potential preamp/processor customers, and we would like to assure everyone that we are still working on it.  Nicolasb; you are correct in your appraisal of our confusion regarding high-resolution audio connections, but other than some protracted discussions, this hasn’t contributed significantly to our development time.  The biggest issue has been the workload associated with rewriting all of our software to accommodate the new DSP, in addition to the time required to maintain software support of the SP1.7.  We expect that an upgrade (without HDMI) for existing SP1/SP1.7 owners will soon be available to our customers.

Mike

Adz523

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2005, 01:35 am »
That's great news to go into the weekend with.   :D
I am not over-anxious (okay maybe a little), I just value communication and appreciate the "feedback" as much as anyone else.  Investing the time and resources, coupled with forums like this and keeping your dealers updated will make us loyal lifers!

brystonbrad

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2005, 09:12 pm »
Quote from: nicolasb
Well, so far, an upgrade for the SP1.7 and a two-box CD-player solution are well in the lead, with a universal player (DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD) in third place.

Only one vote for a 1-box stereo CD player, interestingly, but lots for a separate CD transport and stereo DAC. Aren't we all discerning? :)

Edit: blue-laser video player is moving up the field, but still well behind the leaders....

Well if you add up universal player (DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD) + DVD transport that puts a "DVD player" in the lead...  YES!  gimme, gimme!  lol.
I originally posted a DVD transport would be nice from Bryston, but I voted here for the "universal player" because those would be nice additional features along with DVD, ....don't forget the SDI output...   :wink:   Ah, why not just make a DVD transport and a Universal player??   :mrgreen: