Bryston and PMC Owners Club Meetup, March 16th @ HiFi Lounge!

Vipers

Hi Everyone,

I am really excited to announce this open day, as I’m sure many of you will know but before opening HiFi Lounge a few months ago I was, and still am, a keen Bryston and PMC Speaker enthusiast and becoming a Bryston and PMC dealer has been a real privilege, especially as HiFi Lounge are part of Brystons select few dealers in the UK known as ‘Bryston Centre of Excellence’, so with PMC’s backing, for those who don’t already know distribute Bryston in the UK, it gives HiFi Lounge a real pleasure to announce, cue drum roll, The worlds first PMC and Bryston owners club meetup :)

The idea being that if you are an owner of Bryston or PMC, or hope to be in the future, then HiFi Lounge will host a regular owners club for enthusiasts of both brands, maybe twice a year where we will hope to showcase any new products from both Bryston and PMC, Basically I stole the idea from the many sports car clubs around the world who hold owners clubs for enthusiasts of certain marques, so I thought why not for 2 of my favourite HiFi Brands and as I have made a lot of friends since starting the Bryston and PMC Owners Threads on AVForums, as well as participating on AudioCircle, so I thought it would be great fun if we could all get together and celebrate the 2 brands that we all get so much enjoyment from.

The first meetup will have Tom Barron, PMC and Bryston’s UK sales representative, who I’m sure many of you already know, on hand to hold demonstrations and answer any questions and we will be focusing on the stunning new range of SE speakers from PMC, so we will have on demo the MB2 SE’s, which I have been informed are a different beast from the standard MB2i’s, not just in the finish and stands, but also in the sound quality as they have been built using all the know how that PMC have learned regarding speaker design over the last 20+ years. For a starter the SE’s have a re-designed mid range driver and considering that the original PMC mid is considered amongst, if not the best in the world then this I really can’t wait to hear. So if you don’t get the chance to go the Bristol Show to hear the SE range or would like to hear them in a more controlled environment then please do come along. Oh yeah, and we will be powering them from a pair of 1000 Watt Bryston 28B SST2’s :icon_twisted: now I’ve been dreaming of a pair of 28’s for a few years now so I’m extremely excited by the prospect of having them at HiFi lounge :thumb:

From Bryston, we will be focusing on the brand new B135 SST2 integrated amp, the BHA-1 Headphone amp, the BDP-2 media player and BDA-2 DAC, considering how amazing the pairing of the BDP-1 and BDA-1 were then again, this really is something to look forward to. The BDP-2 is definitely an interesting development on the BDP-1 with the ability to add an internal SSD drive and with extra system memory, improved power supply and Asynchronous USB DAC input it will certainly be interesting to hear if there are any improvements in sound quality, although I know James says they sound the same, I still can't wait to find out for myself, but if I’m honest it is the new DAC I’m really keen to hear as reports from owners on here are reporting a different sonic signature to the BDA-1, possibly a slightly richer, organic sounding DAC, so this I really can’t wait to hear.

So with the Bryston BDP-2/BDA-2 along with the SP3 going through the PMC MB2 SE’s powered by Bryston 28B SST2’s really is going to be something quite special and certainly not something that can be heard everyday. So if you are already or are aiming to be a Bryston or PMC owner shortly then put March 16th in your diary, jump on a plane if required :) and head along to HiFi Lounge for what promises to be a fun day of music listening and maybe we’ll put a few movie clips on to show a full Bryston/PMC 5.1 reference cinema system in action.

We will have 3 demo rooms running, the downstairs room will have the new Bryston B135 SST2 running with a Bryston BDP-1/BDA-1 with the PMC twenty range, then in the headphone room we will have the BHA-1 setup with a BDP-1 and BDA-1 in a fully balanced configuration to create a truly reference headphone setup along with a selection of some of the best headphones around at the moment, from Grado, Sennheiser, HiFiMan and Audeze. Then in the third and main room we will have the PMC MB2 SE’s powered with the 1000 watt Bryton 28B SST2 mono blocks, the mighty Bryston SP3 processor and brand spanking new BDP-2 and BDA-2, it really is going to be PMC and Bryston Nirvana :drool:

We will also have special offers on March 16th only for any Bryston or PMC equipment bought on the day, please enquire for more details, and you never know, as Peter Thomas, the founder of PMC, only lives a couple of minutes away maybe he’ll pop in also.

Please see a list below of all the Bryston and PMC equipment we will have on demo on March 16th.

Bryston

SP3 Processor

BDP-1

BDP-2

BDA-1

BDA-2

BHA-1

BCD-1

B135 SST2

4B SST2

7B SST2 x 2

28B SST2 x 2

PMC (Starting with the smallest)

Twenty.21’s

Twenty.22’s

Twenty.23’s

Twenty.24’s

Fact 3’s

Fact 8’s

Wafer 2’s

PB1i’s

CB6i

MB2 SE’s

PMC DS-001 Mono Block

Thanks for looking and hope to see as many of you as possible on March 16th for some Bryston & PMC fun.

Cheers,

Paul.

Please find a selection of pictures below on some of the goodies we will be showcasing, any excuse to post some Bryston/PMC pictures :wink:

Bryston

PMC Speakers New SE Range

mclsound

Hi Vipers
Congrats on the new store and I hope all goes well.I have followed PMC for years and have owned several different pairs(MB2,IB2,IB1,AB2,LB1) and although me and Ian have had many disagreements,I always liked PMC SQ!
It is refressing to see a good new look with this series and although I have never found their new "i" series to be much of a upgrade,I do feel that this new look shall bring some visual "eye candy" into their lineup.
I was curious on the cost of the speakers and stands for this new series?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hi Vipers
Congrats on the new store and I hope all goes well.I have followed PMC for years and have owned several different pairs(MB2,IB2,IB1,AB2,LB1) and although me and Ian have had many disagreements,I always liked PMC SQ!
It is refressing to see a good new look with this series and although I have never found their new "i" series to be much of a upgrade,I do feel that this new look shall bring some visual "eye candy" into their lineup.
I was curious on the cost of the speakers and stands for this new series?

Hi John

I was told $47,000 the pair (BB5) including stands in North America.

james
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2013, 12:10 am by James Tanner »

Vipers

Thanks mclsound, apparently the new SE range offer further sonic improvements over the i versions, I should be ordering my MB2 SE's next week, just got to figure out what finish to go for, so then I'll be able to hear how they compare to my MB2i's, I'm only expecting a small improvement tbh, but any improvement is worth having in my book, I've only got the UK prices, sorry -

IB2 SE - £13,475
MB2 SE -£16,100
BB5 SE - £25,000

Certainly not cheap but worth every penny :)

mclsound

Thanks James

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$47,000
LOLOLOLOL
NO way.
That cant be right?????????

Viper says $16,100=$25,000ish..CAN + stands

I mean I love the looks in red and after having a pair,$47,000 is outragious especially in these times.
I guess will see.
thanks guys
Look forward to your review/comparison Vipers.

Howdy James

PRELUDE

Thanks James

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$47,000
LOLOLOLOL
NO way.
That cant be right?????????

Viper says $16,100=$25,000ish..CAN + stands

I mean I love the looks in red and after having a pair,$47,000 is outragious especially in these times.
I guess will see.
thanks guys
Look forward to your review/comparison Vipers.

Howdy James
Hi Mclsound,
I think Viper is right.His prices are British (pound) not CAN.I am so sorry but it does not worth that much.

Roberto135

I have never found their new "i" series to be much of a upgrade,I do feel that this new look shall bring some visual "eye candy" into their lineup.

"i" series had a totally new tweeter, while "ES" just adds a new aluminum flange on the middle range (besides of course the aesthetic appearance).
So, I think the real sonic upgrade is on "i" series. "ES" series, like You write, above all has a new look...

P.S. I prefer old look especially about stands.

Roberto

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Vipers: Is that veneer the Tiger Ebony one which they used on the Fact series ?  Looks awfully familiar. And awfully drop-dead gorgeous !  :thumb:

D.D.

BrysTony

Vipers,
What a great idea for a club!  I sure wish we had something like that here in my area(Texas - USA).  Have you heard anything about an upgrade to the Fact 8?  Fact 10 maybe?
Best Regards,
Tony

Vipers

"i" series had a totally new tweeter, while "ES" just adds a new aluminum flange on the middle range (besides of course the aesthetic appearance).
So, I think the real sonic upgrade is on "i" series. "ES" series, like You write, above all has a new look...

P.S. I prefer old look especially about stands.

Roberto

I have been assured from PMC that the SE's are not just a new finish with a designer stand but that they have put all their know how that they have learned over the last 20+ years of speaker design into the design of the SE range, so there is better bracing within the cabinet amongst other tweaks, but for me the main reason to get excited is the re-designed mid range driver as the PMC mid is amongst the best in the world, if not the best, so if it has been improved again then that is something I can't wait to hear :)

I'm sure it is more of a refinement tbh but the MB2i's are such great speakers to start with then any improvement was never going to be easy. Really looking forward to hearing them driven by a pair of 28B's though :)

Vipers

Vipers: Is that veneer the Tiger Ebony one which they used on the Fact series ?  Looks awfully familiar. And awfully drop-dead gorgeous !  :thumb:

D.D.

It certainly has a similar look to it, I have yet to see the SE's in the flesh but I've now sold my MB2i's to make way for the SE's so I'm going over to PMC on Monday to check out the 'Rich' and 'Rose' finishes as from the pictures I can't make my mind up, I usually go with a Walnut finish which the Rich looks closest too, but for some reason I'm drawn to the more 'blingy' 'Rose' finish which I guess if they are going in a showroom isn't such a bad thing, I'll try and get some pictures on Monday.

Vipers

Vipers,
What a great idea for a club!  I sure wish we had something like that here in my area(Texas - USA).  Have you heard anything about an upgrade to the Fact 8?  Fact 10 maybe?
Best Regards,
Tony

Thanks Tony, hopefully we'll have a good turnout, looks like Pete Thomas, PMC founder and Speaker Guru, is going to come along, which will be fantastic, just need someone from Bryston now, fancy a trip to the Sunny UK James :wink:

No news on a bigger Fact as of yet, PMC are focusing on the SE's at the moment, but I'm hoping a new Fact will be next as I've been listening to the Fact 3's all week and it has reminded me why I love the Fact range so much, so if we do get a bigger Fact then that is going to be pretty awesome, maybe when no one is looking I'll have a nose around the factory when I'm over there on Monday, see what I can find out :)

gjorgji

I have been assured from PMC that the SE's are not just a new finish with a designer stand but that they have put all their know how that they have learned over the last 20+ years of speaker design into the design of the SE range, so there is better bracing within the cabinet amongst other tweaks, but for me the main reason to get excited is the re-designed mid range driver as the PMC mid is amongst the best in the world, if not the best, so if it has been improved again then that is something I can't wait to hear :)

I'm sure it is more of a refinement tbh but the MB2i's are such great speakers to start with then any improvement was never going to be easy. Really looking forward to hearing them driven by a pair of 28B's though :)

I was told by the PMC rep at RMAF that SE it's only cosmetic change, but you never know. Can you get more info on what exactly they have changed on the midrange?

Vipers

I was told by the PMC rep at RMAF that SE it's only cosmetic change, but you never know. Can you get more info on what exactly they have changed on the midrange?

I will ask when over at the Factory on Monday on more specifics, but this is from PMC's website -

The cabinets have been redesigned with additional bracing to generate a lower cabinet resonance for further reduced noise and a purer musical signal. The SE series posseses improved clarity in the midrange and better handling of transients in the fast attacking bass notes. This is further enhanced through the use of an innovative profiled dispersion flange, hewn from a solid aluminium billet

And this from the SE Brochure -

The renowned PMC 75 Mid Range driver has been enhanced by an innovative new profiled dispersion flange

I guess the proof will be in the listening though.

Vipers

Talking of PMC, This is all a bit exciting, I have just heard from PMC and they have confirmed that Peter Thomas, the Co-Founder and Chief speaker designer at PMC will be attending our PMC/Bryston Owners Club Meetup on March 16th, C'mon James, start packing :-)

So if you’ve always wanted to meet the main man or have any questions that you’d like to put to him this will be a great chance. I’ve said before that if it wasn’t for PMC and Bryston and the way they got me back into my music then there really wouldn't be a HiFi Lounge today as hearing my first pair of PMC’s, the OB1i’s with a 9B and a BCD-1 really changed everything for me.

He’s the one on the right btw :-)

Don’t forget, we will have special offers on any PMC or Bryston bought on the day.

gjorgji

Re: Bryston and PMC Owners Club Meetup, March 16th @ HiFi Lounge!
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2013, 06:09 am »
I will ask when over at the Factory on Monday on more specifics, but this is from PMC's website -

The cabinets have been redesigned with additional bracing to generate a lower cabinet resonance for further reduced noise and a purer musical signal. The SE series posseses improved clarity in the midrange and better handling of transients in the fast attacking bass notes. This is further enhanced through the use of an innovative profiled dispersion flange, hewn from a solid aluminium billet

And this from the SE Brochure -

The renowned PMC 75 Mid Range driver has been enhanced by an innovative new profiled dispersion flange

I guess the proof will be in the listening though.

Keep us posted. When are you expecting yours to come? Finish: both look classy, but I'll go with Rose. 8)

Vipers

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2013, 09:46 am »
Hi Guys,

'Rich' or 'Rose' finish?

Now my MB2i's are sold and being enjoyed by their new owner I can now look forward to getting the MB2 SE's, so yesterday I went over to PMC to hopefully choose between the Rich and Rose finishes but and in the end left none the wiser, as I really thought that when I saw the Rose finish it would be too red for me and I'd automatically be drawn to the Rich finish, especially as I love walnut, trouble is both finishes are totally stunning so now I'm more confused than ever :( I'm now going to wait till Bristol next week to decide as PMC will have a running pair of BB5 SE's and also the IB2 SE and MB2 SE will also be on show with the 2 different finishes, so I will be able to see whole speaker in each finish as yesterday I saw the stand in Rose and an IB2 cabinet in Rich.

I have to say that the pictures really don't do these speakers justice, if I'm honest I wasn't too sure about the stands until I saw them yesterday, they are stunning, and totally 'dead' in there design so in theory they will help the performance of the speaker and elimate any ringing that was possible with the metal stands of the original MB's, not that I noticed any of that tbh.

I also enquired about the new Mid range assembly, I've taken a couple of pictures which hopefully shows the differences in the design between the original PMC 75 soft dome mid (on the right) the new one for the SE range (left) I think I'm right in saying that the way it is attached to the cabinet is now different and the angle of the surround flange is now profiled differently with a gentler slope to help dispersion, + the new finish of the Nextel coating looks gorgeous, as of yet I'm still to hear a pair of SE's but with the new 'dead' stands, better internal bracing and the new mid design I'm expecting something quite special as the original MB2i is quite a tough act to follow.

One thing I didn't notice till yesterday was that there are no holes in the fronts for speaker grills, the reason being, that there is in fact no covers for the SE's, this will be quite a departure for me as I always left my covers on, but I guess with the new finish looking so stunning then I would probably not want to hide that away under grills anyway.

Here are a couple of pictures of the 2 finishes and the newly designed mid range, if anyone has got a favourite finish please let me know as I just can't decide, saying that they are proving so popular that even if I order now I won't receive my pair till April which is painful as I'm missing my MB2i's already.

Roll on Bristol so I can get to hear the BB5 SE's :)

gjorgji

« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2013, 04:43 pm »

One thing I didn't notice till yesterday was that there are no holes in the fronts for speaker grills, the reason being, that there is in fact no covers for the SE's, this will be quite a departure for me as I always left my covers on, but I guess with the new finish looking so stunning then I would probably not want to hide that away under grills anyway.

Hurray for that ! I always remove grills when listening. Only things they help with is keep small kids from poking the domes.

tim92gts

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:07 am »
Thanks mclsound, apparently the new SE range offer further sonic improvements over the i versions, I should be ordering my MB2 SE's next week, just got to figure out what finish to go for, so then I'll be able to hear how they compare to my MB2i's, I'm only expecting a small improvement tbh, but any improvement is worth having in my book, I've only got the UK prices, sorry -

IB2 SE - £13,475
MB2 SE -£16,100
BB5 SE - £25,000

Certainly not cheap but worth every penny :)

Better investment value than gold, i got in with the lower uk VAT rate too!

There honestly hasn't been a single day of regret since we splashed out on the PMC / Bryston kit.

Tim

terrycym

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:14 am »
Hi Vipers,

As you'll be having the Bryston headphone amp there on the day, what selection of phones do you plan to have available?