BDP-1: Adding Internet Radio Stations As mPad Playlist Items

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
I've watched the instructional video on adding Internet radio stations via the Bryston Interfaces. I have another way of doing this for mPad that I find useful given the way I use my system. Others might find it useful as well. Here's what to do:

1. Load your BDP-1. Use a PC opening both Gnome and Media Monkey.
2. Search radio stations on Media Monkey.
3. When a wanted station is found, click right and scroll to properties. A window will open showing Address (URL). Copy the URL Address.
4. Open Gnome and go to Tools. Click right to add a URL. Paste the URL found through Media Monkey in a window that has been opened up, then click Add. This will add the station to Gnome's Play Queue.
5. To save the station (or stations if you repeat 2-4) as part of your playlist, click right on each station in the Play Queue. Scroll to Add to Playlist in the opened menu. This will sshow a a list. Click on New, which opens a window that allows you to name the new playlist item.
6. Go to the Server heading in Gnome and click on Update Database.
7. After your BDP-1 database has been updated, go to Settings on mPad and click Refresh Local Cache. When mPad has refreshed the local cache, the new Internet radio stations will appear under Playlist as new items.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-1: Adding Internet Radio Stations As mPad Playlist Items
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2012, 03:08 pm »
Thanks Dave

Initially we added a few radio stations to the BDP as a sort of minimal feature but it appears more and more people use the BDP to listen to Internet radio.

James

Alpha10

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2012, 06:50 pm »
Thanks Dave

Initially we added a few radio stations to the BDP as a sort of minimal feature but it appears more and more people use the BDP to listen to Internet radio.

James

I love my BDP-1,it is one of the best items I have ever bought. HOWEVER I really do wish the internet radio was better supported, it is so frustatingly close, but not there. I can add stations to the playlists as above no problem with some stations, BUT the BBC stations (.PLS) which are the ones I really really want, seem to have a session ID or something such that the links only ever work once, try again through the playlist and it will not work and you get a strange message up on the BDP.

James are there any plans to increase the extensions such as .asx and/or .ram??

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2012, 06:57 pm »
I love my BDP-1,it is one of the best items I have ever bought. HOWEVER I really do wish the internet radio was better supported, it is so frustatingly close, but not there. I can add stations to the playlists as above no problem with some stations, BUT the BBC stations (.PLS) which are the ones I really really want, seem to have a session ID or something such that the links only ever work once, try again through the playlist and it will not work and you get a strange message up on the BDP.

Cheers

Hi Alpha

I do not think so as the Internet radio feature was not something we want to promote and was never a feature we thought was appropriate for the BDP1. I think customers are much better off using a dedicated Internet radio device if internet radio listening is something that is important to them.

James

Alpha10

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2012, 07:00 pm »
I love my BDP-1,it is one of the best items I have ever bought. HOWEVER I really do wish the internet radio was better supported, it is so frustatingly close, but not there. I can add stations to the playlists as above no problem with some stations, BUT the BBC stations (.PLS) which are the ones I really really want, seem to have a session ID or something such that the links only ever work once, try again through the playlist and it will not work and you get a strange message up on the BDP.R

Cheers
[/quote

Hi Alpha

I do not think so as the Internet radio feature was not something we want to promote. I think customers are much better off using a dedicated Internet radio device if internet radio listening is something that is important to them.

James

That is a huge shame as it is so close. The BDP/BDA combo actually makes low bit rate stations sound better than my internet radio devices.

I will just have to hope someone comes up with a way of doing it. Or maybe it is a product that will be on your roadmap sometime?

Cheers

Alpha10

Hi James, before I purchase, I have been looking at other ways to improve the internet radio function of the BDP and found this:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/internetradiompc/id457741023?mt=8

Is there any reason why this would not work with the BDP acting as the MPD server?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi James, before I purchase, I have been looking at other ways to improve the internet radio function of the BDP and found this:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/internetradiompc/id457741023?mt=8

Is there any reason why this would not work with the BDP acting as the MPD server?

Cheers

Hi

I will ask Chris and we will have a look.

James

Alpha10

Hi

James

Thank you that would be great.

Cheers

SHV

Nice looking app.  I couldn't get it to connect to the BDP-1, hopefully Chris will get it to work.

Steve

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Hi Alpha

I do not think so as the Internet radio feature was not something we want to promote and was never a feature we thought was appropriate for the BDP1. I think customers are much better off using a dedicated Internet radio device if internet radio listening is something that is important to them.

James

Hi James: Of course it is up to Bryston to decide what functionality it wants to give the BDP-1, but, as a BDP-1 customer, with respect, I cannot agree that I am better off using other devices for Internet radio. Indeed, I have used alternatives. But The BDP-1 is central to my main system, and as such, what goes through it is the best way for me to get to my music sources, which include my music files and Internet radio stations. And as such it does a wonderful job of handling these stations. I'm sure it is becoming central to other users as well.

As you will recall I was skeptical about the flexibility of the BDP-1, but to your credit, in particular, despite your initial design goals, you arranged, through firmware updates, and apparently with the urging of customers, to make the BDP-1 more usable and more adaptable. I hope that you will, as always, continue to listen to us customers, and, if it is technically possible and economically feasible, to make, for their sake, improvements to the BDP-1's Internet radio functionality.

Dave

Marius

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2012, 09:33 pm »
If only the bdp1 software would support Vtuner, internet radio couldn't sound better...
you have to make an account at Vtuner and it remembers all your preferences, which ever machine you have it log into it.
I use it with the Marantz Na7004, and it works flawlessly. On the Na7004 itself, through its web interface, or with the dedicated Marantz app, and as shown below on the Vtuner webpage. Last played, favorite stations, categories you name it.

Bryston could deliver this too?

thanks, Marius

Alpha10

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2012, 07:23 pm »
Hi

James

Hi James, do you know if Chris ever had a chance to look at the radio app I pointed to?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2012, 07:48 pm »
Hi James, do you know if Chris ever had a chance to look at the radio app I pointed to?

Cheers

Hi - not sure - will re nudge him!!

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2012, 01:58 am »
HI All,

A dedicated web app for listening to radio station is planned.  Vtuner is an excellent suggestion from Marius as it aPpears tO host links to shoutcast servers.  Sorry I don't have any time line for this release as there are still a couPle pieces of software for the bdp1 that we would like to have comPleted before we get there.

Cheers,
Chris

Alpha10

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2012, 07:25 am »
HI All,

A dedicated web app for listening to radio station is planned.  Vtuner is an excellent suggestion from Marius as it aPpears tO host links to shoutcast servers.  Sorry I don't have any time line for this release as there are still a couPle pieces of software for the bdp1 that we would like to have comPleted before we get there.

Cheers,
Chris

Cheers Chris, that would be really excellent. Bryston customer support, simply the best  :D

Cheers

cheviot100

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2012, 03:41 am »
Hi Alpha

James

Now that Squeezeboxes are discontinued, I hope you'll be reconsider. There's nothing comparable and as versatile out there until you head way way upwards in price. Squeezebox-style internet radio versatility would be something I'd jump at.

Marius

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2012, 09:15 am »
Hi Chris,

Did you by any chance have opportunity to look at our question about MPC internet radio app, http://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/internetradiompc/id457741023?mt=8? It won't do anything but find the BDP1 and mute/unmute, but station selection won't work, doesn't play anything. it ought to be able to set the mpd server in the BDP1 on internet streams.

Cheers,
Marius

Alpha10

« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2012, 07:25 am »
HI All,

Cheers,
Chris

Just to echo Marius and Cheviot, is there any update Chris/James on the radio app??

Cheers

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com

Alpha10

« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2012, 06:58 pm »
http://bryston-bdp-1.local/dashcode/ir/index.html

S1.48 2012-08-25 or newer

I have S1.40 at the moment, better ping James an email or is it worth waiting for the big October update??

Cheers