Upgrades for one.2

pabbab

Upgrades for one.2
« on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:14 pm »

Hello to all,

I'm pleased to have recently joined the throngs of virtue owners thanks to a forum member who sold me his one.2 with 30/130ps.  After reading far too many threads on this and other forums, I had lots of ideas of ways to upgrade the one.2 even before receiving it, namely putting in some sonicaps and adding a tube buffer.  But I must say I'm so pleased with the little amp that I'm less and less motivated.

I'm still a bit tempted by a tube buffer (probably a Yaqin cd3, unless the external Dodd will be ready soon :wink:...) to take a bit of edge off redbook stuff, and would love to hear from anyone who has gone that route.  I would be placing it between a computer-fed external dac and the one.2.

Cheers,

Patrick

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Upgrades for one.2
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:33 pm »
I used a B-283 tube buffer for quite awhile, along with my Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 which also acts as a buffer. I have since just cut back to the DAC as I just had too many things in the signal path. I don't know if its possible or not on the ONE.2 to move the jumper and take the volume pot out of the mix, use it as an amp with some sort of pre, in my case the Tube DAC-09? Someone will know and chime in and if you can do that I highly recommend it.
 The power supply your using is what I use also with my TWO.2 and they are a great choice....so the short version is, go for it!!!! They are pretty inexpensive unless Seth and company have something coming down the pike. Enjoy your ONE.2!!! :dance:

pabbab

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2011, 01:38 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, Ed.

I've yet to open the amp (because I'd have to stop listening...) but it is possible to bypass the pot, and that suits me fine as I use the volume control on the dac anyway.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2011, 02:09 pm »
When you make that change see where you are sound wise?? Its a cool tweak and thrifty one to boot.... :thumb:

pabbab

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2011, 03:01 pm »
That was easy enough!

I can't say that I concentrated enough on the before/after to verbalize the difference, but I certainly won't change back!  I suppose the sound is more immediate or open...

Great to get a look at the innards, and I'm reassured that swapping the caps would not be too difficult.

BTW, should the bypass jumper be set for full range or 80hz?  I'm running out to two speakers (old B+W 602's) with no sub.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2011, 03:24 pm »
Full range. The 80hz bypass is a good thing if you add a sub, takes some of the work off the amp. I have a sub and was using it for awhile but now I run mine full range.
 Now you want to throw a tube in the mix somewhere....I'm not a DIY type guy to be soldering and splicing so my only solution would be to buy a buffer, I got a used one from a guy here with a bunch of extra tubes for like $60 so they come up for sale once in awhile. I think in general most guys here have a tube amp or tube pre if they want the tube flavor so you might want to investigate your other option come to think of it. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: