Perpetual Technologies P3-A or MSB Link III DAC's

nature boy

« on: 2 Mar 2003, 05:37 pm »
Dan,

I am trying to make a decision about a standalone DAC w/ Modwright modifications to pair with my Pioneer PD-65 (digital RCA in/out).  I thought about a standalone SACD unit for a while, but for the time being I am sticking with CD redbook.

Without offending either product manufacturer, do you have a preference of these DAC's with your signature level II modifications?  Are either particularly sensitive to digital cable selection, my plan is to use a Bolder Cable Company .5 meter digital cable w/ Eichmann bullet plugs?

Also, do they substantially benefit from their respective upgraded power supplies (Monolithic HC-2B for MSB Link and Monolithic P3 supply for P3-A).  My plan is to pick up one of these units used on Audiogon and send to you for the modifications.  Thanks for your insights.

Regards,

Nature Boy

modwright

MSB Vs. P.T. DAC
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2003, 07:06 pm »
The P-3A with Level II mods is the better unit, but is also more expensive and in a different class than the Link DAC I, II or III with our mods.  We do still have a demo P-3A with Level II mods that is available for a very good price.

The P-3A is not particularly sensitive to digital cables, but a good cable will improve the sound.  I am sure that the Bolder cable is excellent.

The cheaper option would be to find a used Link DAC and have us modify it, but it would still not perform at the same level as the P-3A DAC with Level II mods.

Please call me if you are interested in the demo model: 503-288-5159.

Thanks,

Dan W.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2003, 01:39 pm »
Dan,

Thanks for the information and recommendation on the Perpetual Technologies P-3A.

NB

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2003, 02:48 pm »
So far, the P3A is the best I have ever heard.  Ask Audiojerry about his P3A and how much he likes it.  Jerry is totally anti-hype and an honest man.  His P3A just blew me away.

J

nature boy

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2003, 04:03 pm »
Thanks Jack, I am looking for a reasonably priced P3-A for Dan to take to new heights.  Just don't have the scratch right now to buy his remaining demo unit.

NB

jcoat007

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2003, 08:20 pm »
I bought my P1A/P3A/P3 combo about a year ago.  I love mine, but the prices have really dropped.  Wait a little longer and you should be able to get a screamin deal on one.

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2003, 09:58 pm »
That's what I'm waiting for. :tempted:

NB