Picture Of The Day

SET Man

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #1140 on: 5 Aug 2010, 10:40 pm »
Regarding the photo taken in the downpour, like in so many sub-tropical countries during the rainy season, the rain will all of sudden without notice burst forth. I was fortunate enough to be sitting on the passenger side (which in this country is a on the left) in the front seat. This was the first pic I shot immediately as the rain hit, and I attempted to shoot several more, but none of them were nearly as dramatic. Traffic was at a standstill, the guy in the red shirt had no time to take cover let alone cross the street. Everything, but the traffic jam, was in motion, and I was only lucky enough to capture the moment. Kind of looks like a painting.

Hey!

I know what you mean. In Thailand during the raining season. It can be sunny, hot and humid all day than suddenly during mid afternoon the sky will turn dark and start to rain like crazy.  :o

Anyway, talking about photography in today's digital world. The saying "Picture don't lie" is no longer true. The day of straight photography is long gone I would say. But for me I'm still old school and still like to keep manipulation to minimal, keeping my picture in more in reality than virtual reality. Of course there is nothing wrong with manipulating as long as is not try be presented as real event that happened. Well, talking about photo manipulation it is nothing new. It had been going on since the early day of photography... check out works by Henry Peach Robinson :wink: Well, it is sure a lot easier today. :D

Cell phone cameras have come a loooong way.

When I pulled up from work this evening, I found this little guy sitting on my retaining wall. He let me get up close and personal for five or six shots from my Sprint Evo cell phone.

Very impressive indeed :D I've always want to carry around a camera but it is too clumsy and my 3 years old cell phone (Sprint here too... 8 years now) ain't cutting it. Hmmm... maybe it is time for me to get a new phone. No it won't replace my DSLR or even my old P&S cam but it will be my emergency camera while I'm out and about.

Scott's dragonfly pic reminded me about my old pic!
Here is a pic taken ages ago with a Konika Minolta Dimage XT 3mega pix digital camera

f 3.6 @ 1/125 sec without flash

It got nice bokeh though. :wink:

I still have and use my Minolta X-1 P&S digi-cam sometime that I got in early 2006. :D Still work well... but man! Those new P&S digi-cam are much faster now.  :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #1141 on: 6 Aug 2010, 08:23 am »
Very impressive indeed :D I've always want to carry around a camera but it is too clumsy and my 3 years old cell phone (Sprint here too... 8 years now) ain't cutting it. Hmmm... maybe it is time for me to get a new phone. No it won't replace my DSLR or even my old P&S cam but it will be my emergency camera while I'm out and about.

What about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SD1200IS-Stabilized-Dark-Gray/dp/B001SER492/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281082840&sr=1-20

It's only 4 oz. and really small.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #1142 on: 6 Aug 2010, 08:45 am »

"This is how you and I collide " ~~

SET Man

« Reply #1143 on: 7 Aug 2010, 03:29 am »
What about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SD1200IS-Stabilized-Dark-Gray/dp/B001SER492/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1281082840&sr=1-20

It's only 4 oz. and really small.

Hey!

I sometime carry my Minolta X1 P&S digicam but it is getting old... 5 years is a long time in digital world.  :icon_lol: Well, I've already have one or two P&S digi-cams in mind to replace my good old Minolta X1. :D I don't really need one right now so I'm just waiting for the price to come down a bit. :wink:

But still I think a good cell phone with decent cam is not a bad idea as an emergency cam :D

Take care,

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #1144 on: 7 Aug 2010, 05:52 am »
Storm season here in KC.

Mag

« Reply #1145 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:24 pm »
Great shot!!

I was driving and saw a good photo opportunity and didn't have my camera. Drove all the way home and back just to get the picture. Hope you like it. :smoke:

bside123

« Reply #1146 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:49 pm »

Hi Mag, I too was driving along and saw this photo just on the other side of the road from your straw bales. It takes a lot of milk to eat those things, don't it?

Mag

« Reply #1147 on: 9 Aug 2010, 12:05 am »
Yep, I was trying to capture the idea of rolling hay.

Here's for a big bowl of Shredded Wheat.

Mag

« Reply #1148 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:10 am »
This one I've been using for Desktop background.

Canadian Pacific Railway bridge.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1149 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:40 am »
This one I've been using for Desktop background.

Canadian Pacific Railway bridge.

Looks familiar, where is that?

Mag

« Reply #1150 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:42 am »
Saskatoon, South Saskatchewan River. 8)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1151 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:58 am »
I've passed through there a few times.  I knew it looked familiar.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1152 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:00 am »
BTW, Saskatoon is a cool little town, but I'm more partial to Regina as far as Saskatchewan goes.

Mag

« Reply #1153 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:55 am »
End of the Rainbow.

Mag

« Reply #1154 on: 16 Aug 2010, 05:44 pm »
Ventured out yesterday for some photography. When we arrived at this location, I immediately felt the serenity of the place and I think this photo captures that mood.

A Serene Place

A few more photographs to follow in the coming days.

Scott F.

« Reply #1155 on: 16 Aug 2010, 07:13 pm »
End of the Rainbow.

I saw End of the Rainbow and thought you were going to post this....

nathanm

« Reply #1156 on: 16 Aug 2010, 10:51 pm »
    Oh, I wish I was back in old Canada,
    A land which I never shall lampoon!
    How I pine for the ice covering Lake Manitoba,
    And the beauty that is Saskatoon!

Oh, I wish I was stuck in the hills of Alberta,
    Drinking beer with some big dumb guy trapping fur!
    As he scraped and chiseled all the moose dung off his boots,
    I would learn that he's the Prime Minister!

Mag

« Reply #1157 on: 17 Aug 2010, 03:05 am »
Okay, I guess its the next day here. 8)

Serene Place #2, Cowan Lake Dam Site, Big River, Saskatchewan

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1158 on: 17 Aug 2010, 03:39 am »
Saskatchewan, yes!  The only place on the planet where 3 days later you can still see your dog running away from home. 

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #1159 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:59 am »

Kansas City a jewel of a city!