Picture Of The Day

JohnR

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #220 on: 10 Nov 2007, 12:15 pm »
Taken today with my "new" 180mm/2.8 lens, at f2.8. I didn't quite get the framing right, as he was already on the move by the time I got my act together.

Wardsweb

« Reply #221 on: 10 Nov 2007, 03:09 pm »
Pont du Garde France

Whitese

« Reply #222 on: 10 Nov 2007, 06:54 pm »
wow, the Roman's did nice work!

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #223 on: 10 Nov 2007, 10:06 pm »
What kind of project are you doing there, Adam?

Hi John,

That shot was just testing out a few tricks together: 

• Using a red filter over the lens with my Canon DSLR in B+W mode - to see if it feels anything like using a red filter with film.  It does, sorta.  I was hoping the red-filter-with-B+W-for-skintones trick would do the really creamy, hyper-real look as it does with old film.  I wasn't sure how the digital would handle this trick and how/if the B+W mode utilizes the sensor data in any different way...  I wanted to compare:
    - 'on camera' B+W with the red filter -VS-
    - Shooting colour with a red filter on the lens then a B+W conversion in photoshop biasing the red channel -VS-
    - Shooting colour and tinting red in photoshop then doing a B+W conversion with a red channel bias
  • Trying out a remote flash with running water, to see if it freezes the water droplets (sorta).  I think the ambient light level was too high, which would account for the droplets streaking more than i would have liked.  The flash/ambient ratio wasn't biased strongly enough towards just the flash to get good droplet preservation, but this look is kinda neat in its own way.  To get the maximum DOF blur, i was shooting near wide open, which tilted the flash/ambient ratio in the wrong direction. If the room was any darker, the focus had a hard time. BAH.
  • Trying out the 'clarity' function in the new Adobe Lightroom.  You guys have heard me natter on about how cool Lightroom is - it's such a great program! and the new clarity function (among a bunch of other neat new things) is pretty interesting and very useful.

Surprisingly, the red filter + B+W mode seems to look a little creamier (i guess due to the camera firmware filtering the RGB sensor data in some way?) but there honestly isn't THAT much difference in it.  Shooting colour and tinting red in PS, you sure keep your options open a lot more.

I had my camera on a tripod at the beach the other day and it fell over into the sand pretty hard.  My 10-22mm lens has a bunch of sand in it now and is soft shooting at the wide end full open.  :duh: :duh: :duh: :bawl: :bawl: :banghead: :bawl: :dunno: :cry: :duh: :oops:

I wonder what that repair bill will be....... <sniff>

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #224 on: 10 Nov 2007, 10:13 pm »
Taken today with my "new" 180mm/2.8 lens, at f2.8. I didn't quite get the framing right, as he was already on the move by the time I got my act together.

SUCH a great lens.  Did you get the IF-ED-AIS version or the ED version - or the new autofocus one?  I'm crushing 24/7 on the older IF-ED-AIS version, but mostly because i want to use it on my Canon.  Great glass!!

JohnR

« Reply #225 on: 11 Nov 2007, 02:13 am »
This is the AIS ED version. I think the IF is when they went autofocus... altho I'm not sure, Nikon made too many versions of everything to keep track of! Curiously enough I almost bought one a year or so ago and then the guy said he had decided to keep it to use with his Canon DSLR...!

Bummer about your lens :( Cool experiment there, and you seem to have a willing subject! I've only just started using flash on my digital.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #226 on: 11 Nov 2007, 02:40 am »
After the RMAF I took a short tour north of Denver.....this was taken little "left" (west) of Ft. Collins. Unfortunately it was raining and I could not find anybody who could clarify how they count residents in Stout, CO  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #227 on: 11 Nov 2007, 02:46 am »
Boris.....
A little Stout,CO history...... :thumb:
Doesn't explain the 1/2 tho.... :lol:

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #228 on: 11 Nov 2007, 03:05 am »
Thanks for the link Chris....but it looks that the town is alive, after all.....right on the edge of Horsetooth lake, close to the sign is a large parking lot where boaters and hikers come to enjoy nature.

But what does the 1/2 stand for?  :scratch: Half-dead? :o

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #229 on: 11 Nov 2007, 03:13 am »
But what does the 1/2 stand for?  Half-dead ?

Or almost there.....

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #230 on: 12 Nov 2007, 12:01 am »
This is the JBL "Everest" speaker.

Picture taken yesterday by me. But ... it's my picture of the day!
This was sonic tapestry tickled pink I can tell you ... as evident..  :thumb:

Imperial

nathanm

« Reply #231 on: 12 Nov 2007, 12:43 am »
That is one fine looking speaker.  I was surprised to learn its a recent model and not a vintage one.  Looks cooler than the usual super skinny cabinet.

Imperial

« Reply #232 on: 12 Nov 2007, 01:45 pm »
It is stunning up close, it really is. JBL has taken a place among the top guys with this offering I think.
(This might bee seen as a strange thing to say ... but The K"2" series does not sound this good!! Everest is another level! IMHO.
It appears to be able to play just about ANYTHING or any style with great finesse and life to the music!
If you guys check out my gallery you will find that I attended the Trondheim Audio Show Saturday and sunday this weekend.
So many great speakers at one place, and the time to check out them all, and you got to play what you brought with you, music wise!
It was a great treat indeed! Ah and I am starting to see the limitations of my trusty Fuji F31 'cam, but I also really think it can take incredible image quality considering that it is a small and rather simple compact!

A special thing for Norwegian audio shows is that people only occupy the sweatspot for a limited time, then others get to sit there.
We're a Nation I believe of considerate audiophiles! It's great! If someone asks a question and stuff, he's quickly given the sweetspot by whom ever was using it. Then it revolves, so people can sit there!

What a great show it was! I'm so happy I went there! And for my travel time I got to take some great shots as well!
This is my best show experience thus far!  :thumb:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2007, 02:12 pm by Imperial »

JohnR

« Reply #233 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:16 am »
Imperial, you know you want a DSLR...  :green:

I wish I had taken a picture today but I had to go to work  :evil:

Boris, love the "Stout CO" picture.

Imperial

« Reply #234 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:31 pm »
Imperial, you know you want a DSLR...  :green:

I wish I had taken a picture today but I had to go to work  :evil:

Boris, love the "Stout CO" picture.

Yes..... But before that I'm getting a stand for my Fuji.
I've noticed that if I can hold it completely still, it's
sharp as a razor and can muster very clear images!
But the least bit of shake and the images get fuzzy.
A DSLR is much less sensitive of this.

Imperial

ipy

« Reply #235 on: 14 Nov 2007, 09:14 pm »

Australia's 1st. lighthouse - Circa 1881

nathanm

« Reply #236 on: 18 Nov 2007, 03:54 am »
Here's today's picture.  A poor man's 4x10"; two 4x5s shot using the rear shift of the camera and then combined in Photoshop.  Dang water drops on it again, I dunno if you'll notice them or not.  I made sure to blow off the lens and everything as it was drizzling\misting slightly, but then as I started packing up I saw that a raindrop managed to fall across the filter leaving about six tiny beads.  doh!  Those really are hard to retouch too.  Oh well, it still came out all right.

Behind the scenes:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #237 on: 18 Nov 2007, 08:57 am »
Very nice, I like this one.

dsmith5740

« Reply #238 on: 22 Nov 2007, 05:12 am »
I thought I might add my $0.02 in here.......

but I can't figure out how to paste a picture here. Can someone lend a hand?

nathanm

« Reply #239 on: 22 Nov 2007, 05:29 am »
You paste the URL string where your picture is between the img tags like so:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.thelinktoyourpicture.com/image.jpg[/img]