Picture Of The Day

Don_S

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #4240 on: 10 Nov 2015, 05:31 pm »
Here are some more from my small-boat cruise.  I did not take all of the pictures.  Many were taken by the crew since I could not be everywhere and 2-3 activities were going on simultaneously.  The good news is I got to choose my activity.  The bad news is I had to choose one activity. 

bside123

« Reply #4241 on: 11 Nov 2015, 07:34 pm »
I spent some time on an appointment in Cape Girardeau, Missouri yesterday. Here's a couple of images using an Adobe Photoshop style filter. I was experimenting
with trying to bring out the quaint, small, midwest, river town feeling. Adobe's a trip, and one has to be careful and modest in using it. Nonetheless, these stylized photos
kinda bring out a nice effect/mood to the images.

Cape Girardeau Main Street Oil

Mississippi River Gate
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2015, 01:19 pm by bside123 »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4242 on: 12 Nov 2015, 01:41 pm »
I spent some time on an appointment in Cape Girardeau, Missouri yesterday. Here's a couple of images using an Adobe Photoshop style filter. I was experimenting
with trying to bring out the quaint, small, midwest, river town feeling. Adobe's a trip, and one has to be careful and modest in using it. Nonetheless, these stylized photos

Nice clock.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2015, 04:22 pm by FullRangeMan »

Jon L

« Reply #4243 on: 17 Nov 2015, 02:56 am »

DSC03612Ilford by drjlo1, on Flickr

JohnR

« Reply #4244 on: 17 Nov 2015, 08:39 am »

Hi, I hope you don't mind my saying, but the effect doesn't work very well at all.

Also, I think it would help if you embedded images at a size that could be viewed at "normal" resolution (we don't all have 5k screens!)

:thumb:

bside123

« Reply #4245 on: 17 Nov 2015, 01:30 pm »
Hi, I hope you don't mind my saying, but the effect doesn't work very well at all.

Also, I think it would help if you embedded images at a size that could be viewed at "normal" resolution (we don't all have 5k screens!)

:thumb:

Hi JohnR,

No, I don't mind you saying. On the contrary I appreciate your comment. I've shown these images to some people who thought they were great... others thought they sucked. I have mixed feelings that go back and forth from "charming" to "stupid." The effect does make these image look very "midwest USA" and somewhat kitsch. Some stuff works, some don't. It's fun to experiment. Using an American sports analogy: I only throw the balls; swing at the ones you like.

The nature of art & images is that we all "see" differently and our tastes are subjective as well as are changing constantly. I love this thread, because I get to see people's images period. Often, there are photos that are not my cup of tea... but I love seeing the images posted regardless. Add photography to music... great combo! Commentary makes subjects rich, so long as people don't take feedback personally. I don't.

I've reduced the size of the original images. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be more attention to that in the future. I do use large monitors. Best regards!   :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #4246 on: 19 Nov 2015, 02:22 am »
bside123, as long as you're just throwing, how about that clocktower photo in Sepia?  :D

Phil A

« Reply #4247 on: 19 Nov 2015, 02:37 am »
This was Red Rock Canyon just outside of Vegas on November 10 where there was a dusting of snow

bside123

« Reply #4248 on: 19 Nov 2015, 10:58 pm »
bside123, as long as you're just throwing, how about that clocktower photo in Sepia?  :D

JerryM: Do mean something like this?

Cape Girardeau Main Street Sepia

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4249 on: 23 Nov 2015, 01:03 am »
This afternoon in south central Missouri

Don_S

« Reply #4250 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm »

mikeeastman

« Reply #4251 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:53 pm »
Another Arizona sunrise

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4252 on: 27 Dec 2015, 09:09 pm »

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4253 on: 27 Dec 2015, 10:25 pm »
Chevy?    :thumb:

Don_S

« Reply #4254 on: 27 Dec 2015, 10:30 pm »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4255 on: 27 Dec 2015, 10:32 pm »
Chevy?    :thumb:
Yip. 2002 5.3 Lt
Took 216,000 miles to fail, but it finally got me.
Thankful that it did it at the beginning of a weekend, not the end of it, just before Monday.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4256 on: 27 Dec 2015, 10:42 pm »
Don, that image is amazing.
Can you make it larger, and tell us the when/where/how/why?
Just spectacular!

Don_S

« Reply #4257 on: 28 Dec 2015, 04:44 pm »
Bob,

Thank you for the compliment.  The picture was taken in September in Misty Fjords in Alaska's Eastern Coves.  I was in a kayak having a blast.

I did not take the picture.  It was taken by a guide or other kayaker.  I purchased a new camera (Nikon CoolPix L830) for the trip and ended up not using it as much as planned.  It was too cumbersome to take kayaking.  Wearing a PFD made it awkward to carry a camera around my neck while paddling.  Paddling could get sloppy with dripping water and it rained or misted a lot. Next year I go back to Alaska for more of the same.  I will purchase a pocket camera.  I already purchased a small dry-bag.  Open to suggestions on camera model.

Ironically, the picture was made with the same model camera I had back on the ship. Size is 4608x2592mps and 300dpi.  I do not know how to make it larger on this site.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4258 on: 29 Dec 2015, 01:09 am »
Understood, thank you for the information Don.   :D

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #4259 on: 29 Dec 2015, 01:15 am »
Hey Bob,

Click here. Selecting 'Huge' makes it even larger.

Have fun,

Jerry