Picture Of The Day

bside123

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3820 on: 7 Mar 2015, 02:05 am »
As always bside excellent photos. Really!
How bout some specs??

Thanks Bob2. I appreciate the compliments. Actually, judging by the pics you've posted lately, I think I'd rather be "there" than facing the weather we've been having "here."

All of my photos are hot-linked at the bottom with the title, which will direct you to my Flickr sight. I generally recommend Flickr, even over Photobucket, as it's easy to use and allows for great quality with lots of options. The EXIF data is posted there for each photo.

The the telephoto lens that I've been playing with is a Tamron 70-300mm, Sony/Minolta mount, which is apparently being discontinued and replaced with a new fangled version. That's why it was CHEAP. My camera has in-camera stabilization. For the bird shots, I try to keep aperture at f/5.6 and shoot at as high a speed as I can get away with, depending upon the light. A full-frame sensor allows me to increase the ISO, if necessary, with less worry about noise and image degradation. Those little critters, jump around a lot!

The most recent photos, including the Cardinals in the snow were all taken handheld... another reason I try to shoot fast. On other occasions I use a tripod for birds and such.

Maybe some of the other nature photogs can chime in here. I'm a noobie when it comes to birds... well except for maybe flipping one!  :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #3821 on: 7 Mar 2015, 02:10 am »
Not long ago I had Costco scan all my old slides onto DVDs. Pretty good deal actually, with a 'sale' coupon was 12.99 per disc +. Now while all my stuff would have fit on 1 DVD, the sale price was $5 off the usual price per disc. I broke things down into 3 sets, thereby getting $15 off instead of only $5. The usual price gets you the disc with 40 some odd pics I think it is, then it's $ .17 for each pic/slide above the base number. Anyway, the disc comes with a "slideshow", a random slideshow with music, and a folder with .jpgs of each slide. Seems I had something like 5 Vivitar carousels, mostly full, so something around 500 slides and it was about $138 out the door with 3 discs.

Pics were shot with a Pentax KX, the stock lens that came with it (1:1.7 50 mm Ashai), and I think mostly Ektachrome. Will have to check the boxes again. Anyway, nothing spectacular or particularly outstanding, just thought after all the really stunning pics you all have posted which I've enjoyed viewing I'd throw some out there. These were taken in the mid to late '70s, so no clue as to any settings. Maybe there'll be something of interest to someone.

Inspired by posts here I recently purchased a Sony DSC RX-100 MkII. Haven't had/made time to play with it yet, but seeing what everyone's doing with the new generation of cameras it will be interesting & fun to learn. And maybe at some point I'll tinker with the photo sites that allow greater res like photobucket, etc. A big 'Thanks' to bside123 for his thoughts, advise, & cautions on my new purchase. Maybe if I devote enough time to it something will develop ( :D)

Thanks for jumping in and posting some of your old film images. Nothing like film! Takes a lot of pixels to get to analogue. :scratch: Now that you've gone digital... shoot away my friend. Remember, even a blind chicken can find a kernel of corn once in a while. Enjoy your new camera. It's a fine piece of equipment and will deliver great pics. Keep it in your pocket, take it with you wherever you go and shoot!  8)

bside123

« Reply #3822 on: 7 Mar 2015, 02:32 am »
Hey ArthurDent: Here's a great example of the performance value of the, little but mighty, Sony RX100MKII. These photos were taken on the same night as the forlorn drummer picture that I posted earlier. Boy, did he bomb! It was painful.

The occasion was the local high school talent show. I made the mistake that night in bringing my full-frame camera with only 1 lens - the 70-300mm telephoto. Since we arrived fashionably late, our seats ended up in about the 3rd row from the high school stage center. Not the best seats for many reasons. Lots of stuff I didn't wanna see. The lens I had on the pro-camera was way to long for our position and the POV was way off. I could take close-ups of the kids but couldn't get any full stage or wide-angle shots.

Then I remembered... I had the Sony pocket camera with me in my pocket! It's so damn versatile and the quality is great with a 1" sensor. I whipped it out and held it up over my head, set it on it widest setting and got these. These shots were all taken at ISO 6400, handheld in very low light. Not bad for a pocket camera with a crop sensor in bad light, eh!?

CCHS Talent Show Review

CCHS Talent Show Review - Boys on Guitars

Jon L

« Reply #3823 on: 7 Mar 2015, 07:11 pm »

EOSE2837B by drjlo1, on Flickr

charmerci

« Reply #3824 on: 7 Mar 2015, 08:12 pm »
So.... what the hell is that???   :scratch:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #3825 on: 7 Mar 2015, 09:21 pm »

My first thought was chess piece.  :scratch:

PeteG

« Reply #3826 on: 7 Mar 2015, 10:52 pm »

Bottom of a wine glass?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3827 on: 7 Mar 2015, 11:03 pm »
It's a drop of water caught by a high speed camera.

Jon L

« Reply #3828 on: 7 Mar 2015, 11:25 pm »
Bottom of a wine glass?

Yes  :thumb:  I broke my favorite wine glass today while cleaning it, so it's just the bottom base of it.. :(

PeteG

« Reply #3829 on: 8 Mar 2015, 04:37 am »
My son had me make him a new wallpaper background. I've made a few using water drops on a clear acetate sheet. He is a knife nut so I used a Spyderco logo (100mm macro lens w/ring flash).

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3830 on: 8 Mar 2015, 02:16 pm »
Wow, you guys are amazingly creative!

Guy 13

« Reply #3831 on: 8 Mar 2015, 02:30 pm »

Hi all,
looking at the above awesome pictures,
that's why I don't post any more any of my photos,
they look amaterish compared to what you guys post.

Guy 13
The amateur photographer,
even if I've been selling professional photographic equipment.
(Phase One, Manfrotto, B+W, LEE, Bowens, Sekonic...)

bside123

« Reply #3832 on: 8 Mar 2015, 03:12 pm »
Hi all,
looking at the above awesome pictures,
that's why I don't post any more any of my photos,
they look amaterish compared to what you guys post.

Guy 13
The amateur photographer,
even if I've been selling professional photographic equipment.
(Phase One, Manfrotto, B+W, LEE, Bowens, Sekonic...)

Hi Guy13,

As for me, all photos are welcome. I've always enjoyed seeing everyone's contribution. Every image gives me a feeling or an insight.  :)
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm by bside123 »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3833 on: 9 Mar 2015, 12:54 am »

viggen

« Reply #3834 on: 9 Mar 2015, 01:49 am »

Guy 13

« Reply #3835 on: 9 Mar 2015, 08:43 am »
Hi Guy13,

As for me, all photos are welcome. I've always enjoyed seeing everyone's contribution. Every image gives me a feeling or an insight.  :)

Hi bside123,
O.K. then, here's one.
Nothing special other than a flower of my wife's flowers garden,
she grow them herself.
All her flowers are grown on the large balcony on the fourth floor of our house,
well, of her house, she owns the morgage.  :lol:

Guy 13
By the way, that flower who I forgot the name are not easy to grow,
well, that's what she told me.
Maybe that's why it's special, to her and to me, the flower, not the picture.

bside123

« Reply #3836 on: 9 Mar 2015, 03:09 pm »
Hi bside123,
O.K. then, here's one.
Nothing special other than a flower of my wife's flowers garden,
she grow them herself.
All her flowers are grown on the large balcony on the fourth floor of our house,
well, of her house, she owns the morgage.  :lol:

Guy 13
By the way, that flower who I forgot the name are not easy to grow,
well, that's what she told me.
Maybe that's why it's special, to her and to me, the flower, not the picture.

From the perspective of North America, that flower is very exotic. Especially the center... wild looking. Is it a type of Lily or Lotus?

Guy 13

« Reply #3837 on: 9 Mar 2015, 04:55 pm »
From the perspective of North America, that flower is very exotic. Especially the center... wild looking. Is it a type of Lily or Lotus?

Hi bside123,
my wife told me it's a flower of Lotus.
Need a very specific type of earth.
I will look up to see if I have other flower pictures,
it's one of my favorite subject.
By the way, the picture was taken with my Nikon D200,
1/60sec. F 4.5 at 400iso.
Lens 17-55 set around half way.

Guy 13

bside123

« Reply #3838 on: 11 Mar 2015, 05:08 pm »
Perhaps inspired by Guy 13's flower and something different for me... been experimenting with some stills.

ISO 200, 1/40 sec, f2.8, Vintage Pentax-M SMC 28mm Manual Prime Lens (42mm effective), Pentax K-5 Digital Back

Three Pears

JakeJ

« Reply #3839 on: 11 Mar 2015, 07:46 pm »
Nice! Nice! Nice!

Pears are sharp and detailed.  Dish looks like it came right out of your cupboards, feels warm and homey.  Love the layered bokeh starting at the greenery laying next to the dish and wraps around to the background through the window that is fully out of focus.  For me bokeh is very important when doing macro work.