Picture Of The Day

SET Man

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3080 on: 9 Jun 2014, 02:21 am »
Hey!

From my little walk around NYC about a week ago...

Store Window. by setpower1, on Flickr

Tulips by setpower1, on Flickr

Crosswalk, NYC. by setpower1, on Flickr

Sweets! by setpower1, on Flickr

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jjdog2

« Reply #3081 on: 9 Jun 2014, 01:45 pm »
On from the weekend. Northern Water snake sometimes mistaken for the water moccasin.

bside123

« Reply #3082 on: 9 Jun 2014, 04:11 pm »
SET Man (Buddy): I always enjoy the images from your walk-arounds in NYC. The colors, sights, the b&w, the textures and all the snaps that bring to life "living in New York." Which neighborhood is that? I particularly like the abstract image of the crosswalk. Thanks for posting.

jjdog2: OK. Give us some context... length, diameter, how close were you standing, how fast was this thing moving/swimming, etc.!?  :roll:

mikeeastman

« Reply #3083 on: 9 Jun 2014, 04:47 pm »
Impression left on window by dove fling into it, shot from inside. 1st shot 18-55mm lens last two shoot with Macro lens.

[

jjdog2

« Reply #3084 on: 9 Jun 2014, 05:45 pm »

jjdog2: OK. Give us some context... length, diameter, how close were you standing, how fast was this thing moving/swimming, etc.!?  :roll:

Maybe about 4 1/2 feet long and he was thick. He was sunning on the bank and I walked up and spooked him. I was about 5 feet away.

I was walking around shooting dragonflies.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3085 on: 9 Jun 2014, 07:18 pm »
Just wrapping up two weeks of Northern France, focused mostly on Normandy, the D-Day invasion beaches, and U.S., British Commonwealth, and German sites of both World Wars.  Stunning, sobering, sad, and celebratory all at the same time.

Amiens Cathedral was but one stop, and if you want to be humbled by enormous scale, just walk in those doors.    :o

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3086 on: 9 Jun 2014, 07:32 pm »
Normandy images from D-Day celebrations.......

June 5th, leave St Mere-Eglise in the evening and headed to Utah Beach.  And find chaos.  It's cold, near dark, and very windy.  The French had set up tents, picnic tables, blankets, you name it, in the dunes and they are all wrapped in blankets.  And they are coming from everywhere.

Near the Utah Memorial the pedestrian traffic is building,  but we CAN see the tips of a few Atlantic Wall bunkers.  We get to the Memorial and it's like French lemmings streaming over the dunes to the beach, so we follow.

MORE massive bunkers, with ever-increasing numbers of people standing on them.  Still can't make any sense of it until we see tripods in the dunes.  Fireworks and a laser light show on tap late that night coming from a barge anchored in invasion central.  A huge, happy party with no stupid crap but the real impression was that these people still wildly celebrate Liberation. 

Almost brought me to tears....... :bowdown:

Scott F.

« Reply #3087 on: 9 Jun 2014, 10:30 pm »
Impression left on window by dove fling into it, shot from inside. 1st shot 18-55mm lens last two shoot with Macro lens.

[

Wow! That's cool, spooky and sobering all at the same time.

A few times a year we have birds trying to fly through the house and the same thing happens...it's their last flight.

Scott F.

« Reply #3088 on: 10 Jun 2014, 12:53 am »

Bob,

That's a pretty awesome pic.

I've got a buddy in the Breton region of France, an ex-pat Brit who has told me on several occasions that regardless of what military power they might have, they really do rely on us (as in the US) for protection. Unfortunately far too many young-uns don't have a clue the sacrifice the world went through to insure freedom. Only if they are truly interested in history and do a deep dive on the wars will they ever find out the blood and treasure left behind on those many fields the first half of the last century. Today the kids are lucky to get a couple chapters of revisionist history that cover only the 'facts' and figures of the times.

SET Man

« Reply #3089 on: 11 Jun 2014, 04:35 am »
SET Man (Buddy): I always enjoy the images from your walk-arounds in NYC. The colors, sights, the b&w, the textures and all the snaps that bring to life "living in New York." Which neighborhood is that? I particularly like the abstract image of the crosswalk. Thanks for posting.

Hey!

Thanks Din, glade you like them.  :D

Those photos were from around Flatiron district. There were within a few blocks of each other actually, I walked down on Broadway from 23rd street to 14th street Union Square. Anyway, here's another one from that day...

"Spots of Spring" by setpower1, on Flickr

I don't travel much so that's all you are going to see from me... pictures from NYC  :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #3090 on: 12 Jun 2014, 09:48 pm »
I'm back in Bangladesh and caught these two somewhat related photos today.

Grave Digger
Despite the sweltering heat, this man digs grave by hand for a living in the Historic Azimpur Cemetery in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Azimpur Street Butchers
  Late night time seems to be a prime time for these men to chop meat and sell their wares in the streets of Dhaka.
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2014, 04:43 am by bside123 »

bside123

« Reply #3091 on: 14 Jun 2014, 07:45 pm »
A crowd of people pass by a line of beggars during an all night Islamic ritual observed in Bangladesh called the "Night of Emancipation." On this annual event, the "believers" pray for forgiveness, visit the graves of their ancestors and make charitable contributions to the poor and infirm who take to the streets.

Handout
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2014, 04:42 am by bside123 »

stlrman

« Reply #3092 on: 15 Jun 2014, 08:08 pm »
Nice work Bside!! You have a great eye, and the skills to pull off your vision.
Very impressive camera to pull off these night shots.

PeteG

« Reply #3093 on: 15 Jun 2014, 11:26 pm »
Nice work Bside!! You have a great eye, and the skills to pull off your vision.
Very impressive camera to pull off these night shots.
Yes, very nice work.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3094 on: 16 Jun 2014, 12:22 am »

bside123

« Reply #3095 on: 16 Jun 2014, 01:41 am »
Thanks for the compliments, especially because there are many good photographers here in AC. :) Myself, I'm kinda a "slice of life" photog and concentrate more on people and the twists of anecdotal situations. I seem to only take occasional landscape or wildlife photographs, so I am always intrigued and impressed by those of you that excel in those areas. There seem to be many of you among us here in AC.

There's an incredible amount of mind-blowing images to work with here, and it's tempting to want to share. When I made a trip here last year, I worried that I dominated the thread with an over posting of photos, so I trying to go more lean this time... don't want to burn folks out.

stirman: Good equipment always helps!  :thumb:

gnuyork

« Reply #3096 on: 16 Jun 2014, 11:40 am »
Divine Intervention?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3097 on: 16 Jun 2014, 03:18 pm »
Elves around the world REJOICE!

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3098 on: 16 Jun 2014, 04:15 pm »
 :lol: :lol:

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #3099 on: 16 Jun 2014, 09:09 pm »
Divine Intervention?

This pic is in Cortland, NY, technically, heading east on US 11 south.    I googled US 11 and then I had to figure out which state used that "41" sign.

HsvHeelFan