Picture Of The Day

SET Man

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2940 on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:29 am »
Hey!

Good to see some nice pics here. Maritan, nice pic of Seattle's forest, very green there. Must be nice walking around in there with nice fresh air. Here in NYC I live in concrete jungle. Even when there are green space, most of them are man made.

Well, it had been a while since I post any pic here. So, here are some I took from the top of the NYC's The High Line earlier this month. It is Spring here in NYC but with the long cold weather we've been having the tree and flower come out late this year...

The High Line, NYC. by setpower1, on Flickr

The High Line used to be a elevated railway that run from the lower West side all the way up to 34th street. It sat dormant for many years, but it escaped being torn down in the '80s. A few years ago it was transformed into public park. A nice and unique addition to NYC's parks. Hard to believe that there used to be train running through there between buildings :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #2941 on: 26 Apr 2014, 02:46 pm »

jjdog2

« Reply #2942 on: 26 Apr 2014, 03:20 pm »
Nice shots both.   :thumb:

Tiny Windflower.

gnuyork

« Reply #2943 on: 26 Apr 2014, 09:47 pm »
I had a late breakfast, but looking at all that delicious food, I'm hungry again. I'm well on my way to becoming a blimp.  :lol:

On a different note, here's my girl (Peppers) from a couple years back. I lost her to old age about 6 months ago and I still miss her. I try to focus on all the good times we had, and this picture was taken on such a day - I was preparing for an agility run with my border collie and Peppers was looking at me intently and paying attention to my every move. My wife took the picture with her Nikon D5100. At this point, I feel like I can never get another Dalmatian after her.

I love her, I miss her, I cherish every moment I spent with her. Nowadays, I tend to smile when I think of her instead of feeling sad.

I feel for you. I lost my black lab (Greta Lynn) two years ago. I still miss her dearly. I even took a personal day from work on the day she died this year and last. She had cancer, and I didn't know it. I thought she had problems with Arthritis. I had scheduled her to see our vet on a Monday, but she went down hill so quickly on the weekend that I took her to the Emergency vets, still not knowing what was wrong with her. Turns out she had an enlarged spleen. They kept her overnight to see the doctor the next day. That's when I got the call that she had Lymphoma. Still the Vet said we could try a new low dose non invasive Chemo treatment. I was willing to do ANYTHING. She was administered her first treatment and she went into cardiac arrest. The doc said the cancer must have spread into her nervous system. I was crushed, and still am to this day.

It's sad to think that her last few days were stuck overnight in a kennel, not knowing what the hell was going on. I did actually sit with her in the kennel the first night we left her there, then I saw her again the next morning when I went in to talk to the Vet before her treatment. Her tail wagged for me, but it pains me deeply to think she might have been scared and alone in a strange place.

I seriously thought she was gonna come home with us soon. I took off work and cried for a week straight.

Here is the last picture I ever took of her. She enjoyed sitting at the top on our hill of a driveway just watching things like a Sentry. She could do it for hours.

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2014, 02:44 pm by gnuyork »

JakeJ

« Reply #2944 on: 27 Apr 2014, 07:54 am »
Wow, you're makin' my eyes leak.  Pardon my forwardness, if you will, but it feels like you've beat yourself up to some degree for not catching Greta Lynn's cancer sooner.  For a couple of years too.  How about giving yourself a break and going to a shelter to find another great friend?

Just a thought and you'll be amazed at how it mends your heart.

Jake
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2014, 08:19 pm by JakeJ »

Maritan

« Reply #2945 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:42 pm »
Gnuyork - sorry to see that you lost Great Lynn like that. But, like JakeJ said, I think you've beaten yourself up enough about it. And, if a dog has taught me anything, it is to forgive, forget and move on. Dogs, especially your own, will never hold a grudge against you.

JakeJ - I didn't realize my entire doggy life was already out there.  :lol: Yes, Peppers was a rescue and so are my two border collies - Chloe and Griffin. Good memory and/or observation powers on your part, or I just need to shut up about my dogs already.

SETman, Bside123 and jjdog2 - awesome pictures as usual.

The picture of the two Macaques playing is really good.

gnuyork

« Reply #2946 on: 27 Apr 2014, 02:52 pm »
Sorry her name was Greta (not Great  :slap:)... I had a typo...

Anyway, we still have another little guy (Oreo) who we give all our love to. My wife got Oreo and I got Greta before we lived together. Shortly after we all moved in. It was interesting at first.

Two peas in a pod:

JakeJ

« Reply #2947 on: 27 Apr 2014, 08:22 pm »
Awesome shot of two intent faces!  And Oreo is a great name for your little one, gave me a chuckle.

Still, if one dog is good then two are better.  It's my opinion and I'm stickin' with it.  :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #2948 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:21 am »

bside123

« Reply #2949 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:52 pm »
Another street scene from my recent trip.

Trapped In A Cologne Café

bside123

« Reply #2950 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:54 pm »
Hey!

Good to see some nice pics here. Maritan, nice pic of Seattle's forest, very green there. Must be nice walking around in there with nice fresh air. Here in NYC I live in concrete jungle. Even when there are green space, most of them are man made.

Well, it had been a while since I post any pic here. So, here are some I took from the top of the NYC's The High Line earlier this month. It is Spring here in NYC but with the long cold weather we've been having the tree and flower come out late this year...

The High Line used to be a elevated railway that run from the lower West side all the way up to 34th street. It sat dormant for many years, but it escaped being torn down in the '80s. A few years ago it was transformed into public park. A nice and unique addition to NYC's parks. Hard to believe that there used to be train running through there between buildings :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Hi Buddy,

I really enjoy seeing your NYC street photography, especially in B&W. Thanks for keeping the love for film and vintage cameras alive!

Din

Maritan

« Reply #2951 on: 28 Apr 2014, 05:52 pm »
This was taken in the Seattle Art Museum. I found something very compelling about this young woman contemplating the artwork on the wall:

jjdog2

« Reply #2952 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:23 am »
This was taken in the Seattle Art Museum. I found something very compelling about this young woman contemplating the artwork on the wall:

Very cool shot Maritan.   

One from me.   :roll:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2953 on: 30 Apr 2014, 02:41 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #2954 on: 30 Apr 2014, 02:50 pm »
Okay jjdog2... looks like you've got a pretty serious deer fetish!  :o

Now, on a completely different note...

Ferris Wheels on the Rhein
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2014, 04:10 pm by bside123 »

Guy 13

« Reply #2955 on: 30 Apr 2014, 02:50 pm »

GT Audio Works

« Reply #2956 on: 30 Apr 2014, 03:56 pm »
Wish I had taken the pic a minute before, the second rainbow had already started to fade.

bardamu

« Reply #2957 on: 30 Apr 2014, 04:36 pm »

Hello,
Two lovely ladies from Thailand and diy record and books cupboard and my copy of Altec Lansing voice of the theatre
Kind greetings, Edward

gnuyork

« Reply #2958 on: 1 May 2014, 11:48 am »
A red guitar, three chords and the truth

bside123

« Reply #2959 on: 1 May 2014, 03:14 pm »
A red guitar, three chords and the truth

Nice axe and great shot! With that rosewood fretboard, looks to be about a 1964. Custom Shop? When it comes to "three chords and the truth," I couldn't agree more: E, D, A. Play those configurations anywhere on the neck, and you got all the chords!

Here's mine  :thumb:

1964 Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster and Fender Twin Blackface Amp