Picture Of The Day

stlrman

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #1720 on: 26 Aug 2012, 03:14 am »
Is that in Nepal?

bside123

« Reply #1721 on: 26 Aug 2012, 03:15 am »
The Hummers have been real active around our place lately as well. Here's a couple of recent pics.

Coming in for a landing.

Potential issues at the feeder!

jhm731

« Reply #1722 on: 26 Aug 2012, 06:10 am »
Is that in Nepal?

Good eye.

Yes, it is.

brooklyn

« Reply #1723 on: 26 Aug 2012, 06:50 am »
Backyard Grasshopper KC, MO

Scott F.

« Reply #1724 on: 26 Aug 2012, 03:27 pm »

Taken at the Atlanta Aquarium

brooklyn

« Reply #1725 on: 26 Aug 2012, 03:37 pm »
A friend having a drink.

bside123

« Reply #1726 on: 26 Aug 2012, 04:28 pm »

Taken at the Atlanta Aquarium

Scott... aren't the sea creatures amazing!? Just look at that thing!

I remember a fews year back, visiting the aquarium at the Mall of America in MN, seeing an exhibition of sea horses... and sea horse relatives. It was astonishing to have a small view into that world. I couldn't believe my eyes and that such things even existed, let alone how they were "created." It literally brought a tear to my eye... musta been feeling a little bit vulnerable that day!  :o

PeteG

« Reply #1727 on: 26 Aug 2012, 09:02 pm »
F-22 Raptor from yesterday's airshow.

TrungT

« Reply #1728 on: 26 Aug 2012, 09:12 pm »
^^^^^
WoW, great shot. :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #1729 on: 26 Aug 2012, 09:59 pm »

Scott F.

« Reply #1730 on: 26 Aug 2012, 10:08 pm »
Scott... aren't the sea creatures amazing!? Just look at that thing!

I remember a fews year back, visiting the aquarium at the Mall of America in MN, seeing an exhibition of sea horses... and sea horse relatives. It was astonishing to have a small view into that world. I couldn't believe my eyes and that such things even existed, let alone how they were "created." It literally brought a tear to my eye... musta been feeling a little bit vulnerable that day!  :o

Gods creations are pretty amazing  :thumb: Here's a few more from that day. I was using a little point-n-shoot so the quality is just fair.

Here's a seahorse for ya  :green:

big fishes

Whack a Worm

I thought the light rays were kinda cool

brj

« Reply #1731 on: 31 Aug 2012, 06:09 pm »
Nice shot of the Raptor, Pete!  It's always cool to see the condensation in the low pressure regions above the wing.  Looks like he's loafing though.  Wish I'd known the '22 was going to be there - I would have tried harder to juggle my schedule.

How close were you, and what setup did you use for that shot?

bside123

« Reply #1732 on: 1 Sep 2012, 02:20 pm »

The remnants of Hurricane Isaac brought this little visitor to our porch door last night. I once heard that if you lick the little toes, you can go on a psychedelic trip. It didn't work…  :roll:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #1733 on: 1 Sep 2012, 02:42 pm »
 :lol:

PeteG

« Reply #1734 on: 1 Sep 2012, 10:42 pm »
Nice shot of the Raptor, Pete!  It's always cool to see the condensation in the low pressure regions above the wing.  Looks like he's loafing though.  Wish I'd known the '22 was going to be there - I would have tried harder to juggle my schedule.

How close were you, and what setup did you use for that shot?

Brian,
The jet was a good distance away I was shooting 400mm on a crop sensor (Canon 7D = 640mm) and the picture was chopped 70-80%, also got a cool look underneath with the bomber doors open.

F-22 flying along side a P-51 Mustang

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1735 on: 2 Sep 2012, 06:40 am »
In those last two shots of the Raptor, I notice that the port air intake appears larger than the starboard intake. I believe they're adjustable - at least they were on jets I am familiar with from my Airforce days, to ensure the shock wave occurred early enough to keep the airflow through the compressor subsonic - but I can't imagine a situation where it was appropriate to have one distinctly different from the other.

I find it difficult to believe it is just due to the varying perspective, but...

SlushPuppy

« Reply #1736 on: 2 Sep 2012, 06:54 am »
Pete, those F-22 Raptor shots are amazing!

PeteG

« Reply #1737 on: 2 Sep 2012, 01:50 pm »
In those last two shots of the Raptor, I notice that the port air intake appears larger than the starboard intake. I believe they're adjustable - at least they were on jets I am familiar with from my Airforce days, to ensure the shock wave occurred early enough to keep the airflow through the compressor subsonic - but I can't imagine a situation where it was appropriate to have one distinctly different from the other.

I find it difficult to believe it is just due to the varying perspective, but...

Could the starboard intake be closed more do to the P-51 being too close to it.

JakeJ

« Reply #1738 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:13 am »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here but...

I believe those intakes are actually the same size and it is, in fact, camera lens distortion and the angle of the shot that is causing the illusion.  Look closely at the Air Force "Star" emblem and how it's stretched in the "bomb bay doors open" shot.

I'm just sayin'.  :dunno:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #1739 on: 3 Sep 2012, 12:33 am »
More stealth.