Picture Of The Day

Scott F.

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #1660 on: 8 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm »
Just to give that picture some context, here is a closeup of the lights and shades used in the rafters of the old church.

Here is the rest of the photostream on Flickr.

bside123

« Reply #1661 on: 8 Jul 2012, 11:15 pm »
Great cascade of colors. Love the variety of light and lamp shades. Hey... that looks just like my Mini Cooper S.

Jon L

« Reply #1662 on: 10 Jul 2012, 04:37 am »

DZ3C4885 by drjlo1, on Flickr

Jon L

« Reply #1663 on: 11 Jul 2012, 07:01 pm »
With new Canon "Shorty Forty" 40mm pancake lens.

DZ3C5181A by drjlo1, on Flickr

jhm731

« Reply #1664 on: 12 Jul 2012, 01:13 am »
View from my listening room.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #1665 on: 12 Jul 2012, 01:45 am »
View from my listening room.

Really!?!?!  :o
I'm not even a golfer, and I find that to be a dream like peaceful place. Almost heavenly. I could die there. Happily.  :lol:

Bob

p.s. On second glance ("stare"), those people aren't golfing, and that doesn't look like a golf cart. But that doesn't detract from the image at all.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #1666 on: 12 Jul 2012, 02:09 am »
Well, it's either a golf course, the end of a general aviation grass landing strip, or a Federal prison for white-collar criminals.

OTOH, it looks like a very peaceful and very expensive asylum!  Yeah, Bob, that's the ticket!  You'd fit right in.  All you'd have to do is learn Spanish!   :icon_twisted: :lol:

jhm731

« Reply #1667 on: 12 Jul 2012, 02:38 am »
It's the 2nd fairway at Pukalani Country Club looking toward the West Maui mountains.

You can see some golf carts through the trees on the left.

The guys in the picture were trimming the tree.

Jon L

« Reply #1668 on: 12 Jul 2012, 04:22 am »
Dang, golf torments me as a game.  It's rough on people starting out  :cry:

That's why I walk the earth in the dark with camera in hand.. This is with Canon FL55mm f/1.2 manual focus lens with EdMika eos adapter.

DZ3C5243_PTX by drjlo1, on Flickr

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1669 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm »
This picture was taken on my cell phone and the person shooting it did a poor job, but it is still a great photo from my perspective!

My son Chase and me at Fenway.  While we disagree on what team to root for, we still had a great day.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1670 on: 12 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm »
Please delete.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #1671 on: 14 Jul 2012, 03:24 am »
Dusty-Dog

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #1672 on: 14 Jul 2012, 03:25 am »

bside123

« Reply #1673 on: 15 Jul 2012, 08:49 pm »

Humming Bird Superhero

jvc

« Reply #1674 on: 15 Jul 2012, 09:25 pm »
Nice pic of the hummer at the feeder.
Looks like ants have taken over the feeder. We got this thing that hangs above the feeder, then the feeder hangs on it. Got it at Lowe's for about $7, and it keeps the ants away. It works very well. We had a bad ant problem too. After I got that and hung it up, I watched the ants climb the shepherd's hook, going to the feeder hanging on it. When they got to the ant thing, they turned around and left. Haven't had a single ant on or in the feeder since.

Also, it looks like you use the red colored liquid in the feeder? If so, don't! Do a search for hummingbirds online, and read up on them. They say the red stuff can harm the birds. The best stuff is a 4 to 1 mix of homemade (4 parts water, to 1 part table sugar). Heat the water, and pour in the sugar and stir. Hot water makes the sugar dissolve better. Let it cool, and put in the feeder. The birds love it, and it won't harm them. You should also clean the feeder every time you change the liquid (about every three to four days, depending on how hot it is). It will mildew, inside feeder, and liquid will ferment and birds won't drink. If you want them to keep coming, take care of them. They are worth the trouble. Sorry to get long-winded, but passing along what I've leaned about them. :)

bside123

« Reply #1675 on: 15 Jul 2012, 09:31 pm »
Nice pic of the hummer at the feeder.
Looks like ants have taken over the feeder. We got this thing that hangs above the feeder, then the feeder hangs on it. Got it at Lowe's for about $7, and it keeps the ants away. It works very well. We had a bad ant problem too. After I got that and hung it up, I watched the ants climb the shepherd's hook, going to the feeder hanging on it. When they got to the ant thing, they turned around and left. Haven't had a single ant on or in the feeder since.

Also, it looks like you use the red colored liquid in the feeder? If so, don't! Do a search for hummingbirds online, and read up on them. They say the red stuff can harm the birds. The best stuff is a 4 to 1 mix of homemade (4 parts water, to 1 part table sugar). Heat the water, and pour in the sugar and stir. Hot water makes the sugar dissolve better. Let it cool, and put in the feeder. The birds love it, and it won't harm them. You should also clean the feeder every time you change the liquid (about every three to four days, depending on how hot it is). It will mildew, inside feeder, and liquid will ferment and birds won't drink. If you want them to keep coming, take care of them. They are worth the trouble. Sorry to get long-winded, but passing along what I've leaned about them. :)

Thanks for the tips and advice. I will follow-up on it. Ant Free, Red Dye Free, Mildew Free! These little birds are really incredible, and it seems extremely territorial as well. They really compete for the feeder, and a dominant male attempts to chase off all trespassers, while a pack of other hummers try to sneak to the feeder when he isn't' looking!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1676 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:05 am »
It's also supposed to be better to use tap water than bottled filtered water, or distilled water as they need the minerals.

Even further off topic - I saw a hummingbird glide (for about 1 second - it seemed like 3 seconds) yesterday; I've never seen that before - didn't know they did that.

jvc

« Reply #1677 on: 16 Jul 2012, 02:43 am »
Thanks for the tips and advice. I will follow-up on it. Ant Free, Red Dye Free, Mildew Free! These little birds are really incredible, and it seems extremely territorial as well. They really compete for the feeder, and a dominant male attempts to chase off all trespassers, while a pack of other hummers try to sneak to the feeder when he isn't' looking!
It said online too, that if one was running others off from the feeder, let him have it. Put other feeders out for the others. He can't protect them all. They have one at Wal Mart, that's less than $5, I think. We got one, and it's the easiest one to clean. It comes all apart, and the other ones don't. We have two hanging up now. We have a third one, but need to get another shepherd's hook to hang it on.

I fell in love with them, after watching Phoebe's nest live web cam. I've watched two clutches of her's from the time the eggs were laid, until they fledged (left the nest). It's really neat watching them leave the nest, for the first time. Phoebe has two now that's going to be leaving the nest anytime now. They are on a fledge watch. They may leave tomorrow, or it may be 3 more days. The first pair I saw fledge, they left within 5 mins. of each other. The second pair fledged about a day apart. Phoebe usually has 3-4 clutches per season (she's in California). When they fledge, she usually has two more eggs in a nest within 3-4 days. Her last two were lost. About a week before their fledge, a crow destroyed them and the nest. They never found them, or the nest. The crow probably took them away. If you want to check them out, see them here: http://www.ustream.tv/hummingbirdnestcam Remember to consider the time zones, for the light to see them. Enjoy! :)

Mag

« Reply #1678 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:08 am »

Oversized Load!

hdspeakerman

« Reply #1679 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:19 am »
Looks like an articulated truck that hauls about a 40 ton payload.  In the underground mine where I work we use straight frame trucks that haul over 70 ton payload.  I think that Cat's biggest truck hauls a 400 ton payload.
Howard