Subwoofer And The Back Wave?

James Edward

Subwoofer And The Back Wave?
« on: 31 Jan 2021, 01:53 pm »
I’m about to purchase a sealed Hsu sub, but one question has me concerned- I will be placing it in a corner behind the M3 Turbo S; am I wrong in thinking that the back wave of the M3 will be out of phase with the sub, thereby cancelling each other out? The M3 is about 44” from the wall- that space between is where the sub will be going.
My options are limited regarding placement. Has anyone found what I’m talking about to be a problem?
Thanks.

ric

Re: Subwoofer And The Back Wave?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2021, 02:23 pm »
I couldn't say, but you should have a phase switch or dial on the Hsu to determine what sounds best. I have an older Hsu sub 1220 and use it in conjunction with a DSpeaker and have had no problems. Of course if your room is sensitive to certain frequencies, moving the sub away from the corner as much as possible should help. Good luck!

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2021, 05:33 pm »
There shouldn't be a problem because the M3 Turbo S and the subwoofer cover different ranges. Based on Steven Stone's review of the M3 Turbo S the speaker goes down to 32 Hz.
https://hometheaterreview.com/spatial-m3-turbo-s-floorstanding-speakers-reviewed/

A subwoofer would cover the 20 Hz - 32 Hz portion. Steven used a pair of JL Audio Fathom F-112 subwoofers in his review with excellent results. Your crossover setting may be different than the 50 Hz Steven used. My speakers go down to 34 Hz and because of my room and speaker placement my sub is set to 28 Hz - 30 Hz depending on the music, any higher and I get bass bloat (which is a lot of fun for the first couple of weeks).

James Edward

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2021, 05:57 pm »
I like that idea- as long as they are outputting different frequencies I’ll be ok. My system is in a domestic environment, so there is not a lot of room for placement experimentation. One of the reasons I chose the sub I did was it being sealed- placement is slightly less critical. It also has adjustable Q, further adding to its versatility.
Thanks for the thoughts. Much appreciated.

James Edward

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2021, 10:12 pm »
Ok. My sub is on its way. https://hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html
With any luck, it’ll make it to NY by Friday, giving me the weekend to play...
If anyone cares to chime in with their setup choices, I’d be grateful. I know that
many different subs are out there, but where you chose to cross over the sub, etc.,
would be helpful to get me started. If you care to do so, take a look at the two EQ
settings and let me know what you think.
I hope I made the right choice in going for a sealed sub; it does seem to be the popular
choice for music only systems. BTW, if it impacts your recommendations, I will be using
the high level (speaker) inputs- I have an integrated amp with no bass management.
Thanks for any thoughts.

DRHamp

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2021, 01:56 pm »
I am considering implementing a pair of SUBs into my system with the M5 Sapphires.  I am interested in hearing your comments after you have had the HSU in place for a while.

ric

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2021, 02:25 pm »
James, I too have an M3TS, an integrated amp (tube), and a Hsu sub (the older 1220TN  model). The difference is that I am using a DSpeaker, as I said. I doubt you'll have any problems, with the exception of the  sub placement being limited to the corner, may amplify those lower bass notes, but then you just turn the sub down. Since you can adjust the crossover you should ok. Experiment with in phase/out. There are also low bass test cd's to play certain frequencies, but really your ears will tell you if somethings off. Have fun!