Tung Sol 6sn7 New Production

Escott1377

Tung Sol 6sn7 New Production
« on: 8 Apr 2021, 10:34 am »
Curios if anyone has tried these?  I bought a few just to try in my pre amp for the 6sn7 flavor.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tung Sol 6sn7 New Production
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2021, 11:39 am »
Curios if anyone has tried these?  I bought a few just to try in my pre amp for the 6sn7 flavor.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Oh nice, since you bought some I look forward your impressions after the break-in.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2021, 01:18 pm »
@$24.95 per tube?!? What’s not to like?

I haven’t tried them, but it cannot hurt to try out a couple (or even a quad). I’ll keep my eyes peeled for your thoughts on these. I’ll try to remember to order a pair in about a week from now. [I’m really busy this week.]

Escott1377

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2021, 02:12 pm »
If you read the reviews at Tube Depot they are very positive, even when compared to NOS.  I bought the new pre from Musical Paradise which allows you to run almost any tube in it as well as capacitors.  I have a pair of late 50’s WE 5670s in there right now.

batcheloro

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2021, 03:17 pm »
I've been a fan of their new production preamp tubes for a bit (12au7). Extremely quiet.

In my limited experience (not to state the obvious), but it really does ring true that sometimes you get a "good one" or "bad one" from a manufacturer and it shapes your brand loyalty.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2021, 04:47 pm »
Interesting. These seem to be well reviewed on several sites. I haven't kept my eye on new production 6SN7's because they're usually pretty mediocre quality (both in terms of sound and reliability) even in comparison to the less "audiophile approved" / reasonably priced NOS 6SN7's. Good to know that someone is taking new production 6SN7's more seriously.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2021, 06:06 pm »
I've got a massive stash of new production as well as NOS 6SN7 tubes and I'll tell all you bargain hunters a secret.  Go out and get you a 7N7 tube plus a 7N7-to-6SN7 adapter socket. 

The 7N7 is the exact same tube as the 6SN7 except it has a 9 pin base instead of an 8 pin base.  And they are cheaper than even new production 6SN7 tubes.  But lets keep it that way, don't tell anyone else!

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2021, 06:19 pm »
I've had people whom I respect tell me that they like the new Tung-sol 6SN7.   I purchased one and didn't like it, as I felt it made my system sound more boxy and constrained.  Tried it on three different occasions, over the course of over a year and this was my impression each time. 

I've liked many of the vintage 6SN7s better, even the less expensive ones like 1960s Westinghouse and relabeled Organ brands like Conn and Baldwin.  I've been able to find these in very good condition for $15-$20 each.

I have heard from manufacturers that the new Tung-sol is a very consistent tube, that the failure rate is low and that they are easy to match.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2021, 06:20 pm »
The only new production tubes I've heard that compete with NOS are the high end (expensive) Psvane and Shuguang tubes.

lokie

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2021, 09:06 pm »
I like em in my amps. Probably not quite up there w Shuguangs but I always seem to find a better place to spend that couple of hundred bucks.

rotarius

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2021, 10:45 pm »
They are decent, dry mids.