Transmission line speakers

bummrush

Transmission line speakers
« on: 15 May 2011, 02:19 pm »
 Speaking of transmission line speakers,,has any body heard the Atlantic Technology speakers,designed in part by Phil Clements?

bummrush

Re: Transmission line speakers
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2011, 03:43 pm »
 anybody out there

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2011, 03:50 pm »
Does a "no" answer count? :) Perhaps it would help if you said why you asked the question, people might be able to offer something in that case. Or not. I've only owned one pair of TLs (Kestrel) and would be interested in building a pair with a FR driver one day. Just because.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2011, 12:22 pm »
Found this regarding their High Tower System:

"The new patent-pending system, called H-PAS™, (Hybrid Pressure Acceleration System), combines elements of several speaker technologies: bass reflex, inverse horn, and transmission line. Using a unique cabinet design, these technologies are cascaded one to another to pressurize and accelerate low frequencies. In addition, the signals travel through a passive resonance/harmonic distortion line filter. The final result is the ability of an H-PAS design to deliver extended deep bass with exceptionally low distortion."

Seems complicated and I'm a KISS/purist.

walkern

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2011, 01:36 pm »
Dr. Amar Bose used to claim that his 901 speakers bass loading accelerated the speed of the bass frequencies in the box and launched them out via a tunnel effect of some sort.  If you hung the speakers from a ceiling, and played them loud, they would swing back and forth as a result of the air pressure flying out of the ports. 
And, in an unrelated note, don't some motorcyles use a compression chamber (I believe they called it an expansion chamber) technology to speed up the exhaust in an area so that it exits more quickly than if it was just using a straight exhaust pipe?  I seem to remember some of the racing bikes (motocross in particular) bragging that their exhaust systems created pressurized systems that allowed the exhaust to exit faster and more cleanly.
Seems like you could compress the area behind the bass driver in a box (like the mouth a rear loaded horn), and then expand it and load it into a tunnel and you might get the benefits of both horn and transmission line (or bass reflex?) systems?  Just guessing here.