Which Song have You Heard Too Many Times?

dB Cooper

Re: Which Song have You Heard Too Many Times?
« Reply #40 on: 20 May 2020, 11:27 pm »
I heard once (I know, terrible way to start a post) that stations get a break on the royalty payments if they purchase "packages" of songs over a certain period of time. I don't know if this is the case, but a couple stations here seem to have a rule they play HC or Bohemian Rhapsody every day.

Most commercial stations are owned by just a few companies who pipe the same old boring, market-tested playlists to all their stations, which is why radio sounds the same wherever you go.

dB Cooper

« Reply #41 on: 20 May 2020, 11:34 pm »
I can't stand the fact that in the rock genre alone there are literally tens of thousands of songs that could be played yet radio stations rotate the same "hits" day after day, year after year, yes, decade after decade. Obviously they've determined that audiences prefer familiarity over hearing something new or different. However, with few exceptions even great songs become somewhat annoying to me after I've heard them dozens of times.

Exactly. Springsteen, almost all they ever play is 'Born in the USA'. Zep, 'Stairway'. Etc etc etc. Only the big hits. Even on a road trip, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. . When you hear 'Stairway', you know 'Maggie May' won't be far behind. The commercial stations are all owned by conglomerates to whom music is just another mass-produced commodity. Why pay for an announcer in every market when you can just send one feed to all your stations?

Randy

« Reply #42 on: 20 May 2020, 11:46 pm »
If you were living in the 70s you may have unwillingly heard "You Light Up My Life," about a million times. Mercifully it was the only "hit" for Debbie Boone.  Jeeze, how I loathed that song. The same can be said for "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue."  Nice song, but it can turn your stomach after you've heard it hundreds of times. "Familiarity breeds contempt" is so true.

kbuzz3

« Reply #43 on: 21 May 2020, 04:12 pm »
Anything by Phil Collins of Billy Joel.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2020, 04:57 pm »
"Which song have you heard too many times?"

All of them.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #45 on: 21 May 2020, 05:17 pm »
I haven't heard this often, but it was still Too Many Times!
Music videos have come a long way since 1964.
That's Bert Goulet guesting on a 1993 Yamaha YG1, an 80cc bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ge8_6rtQvs

calsaint

« Reply #46 on: 21 May 2020, 05:36 pm »
vote 1 for me goes to " Don't Stop Believin' " Always disliked and still always comes up on those dreaded playlists already mentioned.
votes 2 and 3 are "Start Me Up" and "Welcome to the Jungle" just for their constant use at sports venues and it's always made me wonder why places that have been using them for the last 25 years+ can't come up with something different.

Loki57

« Reply #47 on: 21 May 2020, 05:47 pm »
Stairway to heaven

Brettio

« Reply #48 on: 21 May 2020, 06:33 pm »
Stairway to heaven

I used to hate that song until Dread Zeppelin covered it.  Who doesn’t love a reggae, Elvis version?  I heard it live and it was magnificent!  :green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7DqjyNGHJU

mhconley

« Reply #49 on: 21 May 2020, 06:57 pm »
Shallow .

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #50 on: 21 May 2020, 07:30 pm »
I had to listen to "In A Gadda Da Vida" just seconds ago. I'm certain it's the first time I've heard it. I hope it's the last time.  :o

It's a good thing I read through this thread. It helped nudge my memory. One of my most disliked songs is "I shot the Sheriff." From the very first time till the last time (and future times), I have never understood why anyone liked this song.

Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" comes in a close second.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #51 on: 21 May 2020, 09:19 pm »
Although I haven’t heard it lately, Leroy Brown used to get played at every wedding reception 30-40 years ago. Yikes!

JCarney

« Reply #52 on: 21 May 2020, 10:04 pm »
afternoon delight and pina colada, gettin cau..... you know the rest.

JCarney

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #53 on: 22 May 2020, 04:36 pm »
That rap song I've been hearing from passing cars for the last 20 years.  You know, the one with the booming bass.  They always seem to be playing that same song.  :wink:

So true, Circleman.  If I didn't know any better, I would almost think they don't mind if people outside of their car can hear it.

A couple more:

Monster Mash

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #54 on: 22 May 2020, 04:38 pm »
Light my Fire by the doors. Fucking horrible!

Mag

« Reply #55 on: 22 May 2020, 04:50 pm »
I forgot to mention you have to have the song in your playlist rotation, but you've heard it too many times.

Like the music they Stream at work I can't stand and don't even want to hear the first time.