Yoo hoo * K L A U S E * Answer me a Tempest mod if you will!

randog

Klause,

I know you will mod my Tempest for HT by-pass...

I know you will add subwoofer outs as well...

BUT, can you take it up another notch?

Can you:

a) add HT by-pass
b) add stereo subwoofer line-outputs

*AND*

c) add stereo subwoofer by-pass?

This would work in the same way as the HT pass-through except instead of "in" through an "aux" port and "out" through the line-outs to the amps, it would use another pair of "aux" ports for "in" and the stereo line-"outs" that you also added for the subwoofers (b) above.

This way, subwoofers could be used for both HT and music. The sub-out from the HT preamp can go to the sub-in on the Tempest. Then from the sub-outs to the subs. (same theory as HT bypass for the mains).

Meanwhile, the Tempest can control the subs in 2-channel (same as the mains).

I'm thinking the tape loop ports could be used for the subs and the Aux port could be used for the bypass since I would want to keep both phono and CD.

DOABLE :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2003, 04:50 pm »
That is a really good idea randog.  That would solve a lot of problems for those who use their subs for both setups.

OBF

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2003, 08:10 pm »
Depending on the various costs, what about just adding a good active crossover (some of the Marchands aren't too expensive used) between the preamp and amps and just setting center/surround to "small"  the mains to "large" and "no" sub.  Then, regardless of whether its HT or stereo, you get stereo subs without modding your preamp?  I plan on doing something like this.  The only thing I don't know about is whether there's any degradation by adding the LFE into the L-R channels and then actively crossing it back out again.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2003, 09:15 pm »
Randog,

$^%$^&^&Dammit,  make me think about even more options.  Damn ^$^%&^&^%%you,  hehehe.

Well,  interesting.  I'll have to have a word with Travis here.  Ultimately,  yes,  I believe that we can do a custom job for you.  Man,  that will be tight on the board,  but why not ??? hehehe.

We did HT BP and 2nd outs before, and there's enough room in the circuit and on the back plate to add and to do mods.  Obviously,  we'd take away inputs, such as either tape loop or phono,  but yes, why not.

Late,

Klaus