MMGs as a midwoofer, tweeter assembly.

aceinc

MMGs as a midwoofer, tweeter assembly.
« on: 7 Feb 2017, 06:30 pm »
I am looking at building some main speakers for my HT system, which I also listen to music on. I currently switch between KEF 105.4s and B&W 802 Matrix S3s, depending on my mood.

My room is 15'x25'x8.5' untreated it sounds great with my existing speakers either 2 channel or 7.2. I can just get the front baffle 3' off the front wall and I can get 2-3 feet off the side walls.

My thought is to use as a base (bass) the Open Baffle dual 12" subwoofers available from GR-Research. The claim for this subsystem is 20-200Hz with authority.

The question then comes to what to use for 200-20,000hz. I currently have it narrowed(?) down to three choices;

• Magnepan
  • GR-Research NX-Otica OB kit
  • Roll my own OB mid/tweet.

For the mid/tweet assembly, I was putting my max budget at $1,000, the cost of option 2. For Maggies that only leaves the MMG.

My post in this group is to get an opinion of using the MMGs to cover the mid-bass frequencies, with a crossover in the 100-200hz range.

My intention would be to build a mounting frame that would allow me to attach the MMG to the "top" of the OB woofer cabinet. The quotes around top, is because I could lay the cabinet horizontal which would make the height of the bottom of the MMG ~ 15" or vertical which would make the bottom of the MMG ~ 25" off the floor.

So the questions are;
  • Is an MMG up to the task? The folks on the GR-Research say that the NX-Otica would be substantially better. If the answer to this is no, then ignore the rest.
  • Should the MMG be modified, crossover wise?
  • What frequency should I cutoff the MMG on the low side? The lower the better, but no lower than 100hz
  • Would mounting it at a height of 15" off the floor or 25" be better?

I was ready to move forward with this plan until yesterday when I talked to Magnepan, and they told me that the MMG isn't worth using in this environment. They said I should use a .7 at a minimum and really I should scrap my idea and buy a 1.7.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: MMGs as a midwoofer, tweeter assembly.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2017, 10:20 am »
I was thinking used 1.6 or 1.7 until I got to the last line, too.
Listen to Magnepan.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:03 pm »
Yeah, why all the complexity?  Just pick the Magneplaner of your choice and run it with the OB subs.  Frankenstein speakers rarely work out as expected. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2017, 12:22 pm »
I owned both MMG and 1.6QR's.  I really liked the 1.6's for all kinds of music.

If I were you and could afford the 1.7's I would be looking to hear those.   I would imagine they will serve you very well. 

aceinc

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2017, 01:54 pm »
Actually this is a hobby. Buying a set of ready made speakers takes a lot of the fun out of it.

For me, having something different that I had a hand in conceptualizing is at least half the fun. Financially, while not wealthy, I could afford more or less most speaker systems (unless you are talking stupid money), if I was willing to put up with the heat from my spouse.

Anything bigger than say a .7 will not fit into my woofer integration plans. Anything more expensive than MMGs will not fit into my budget.

What I take away from the comments so far is the MMG might be OK for the mid range, but I would need a better tweeter section.

Does anyone make Magnetic Planar panels similar to those in the ET LFT8b or the larger Magnepans for DIY use, that are affordable?

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2017, 03:03 pm »
I continue to enjoy building speakers myself.

You may try Newform Research.  They sell their 30 inch ribbons for DIY too. 

Else a kit from Danny would be a legit option as you intend to use his OB subs. 

pansixt

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2017, 09:03 am »
I was hoping that jarcher would sound off on this. Maybe with pictures. :thumb

1.7' s and a good sub or two  up front. MMG's on the rear. If your HT room is tight, be hard to beat IMO.