Netflix: What to watch?

WGH

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #500 on: 7 Aug 2020, 06:47 pm »
ZeroZeroZero. 8 episodes....somewhat brutal, but a unique story line with never a dull moment. If you speak Spanish.... I don't, but I watched Instinto anyway.

Reminds me of one Halloween night I watched "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". I had never seen it. The movie was on a local Spanish language TV station and dubbed in Spanish, I don't think I missed much and it was quite funny since I don't speak Spanish either.

wushuliu

« Reply #501 on: 15 Aug 2020, 07:28 pm »
Amazon Prime currently has the best catalog of obscure/genre/interesting content right now.

I've watched:

Daughters of the Darkness. 'Erotic' vampire film from the early 70s. Moody and European with some gorgeous cinematography and strong performances.

VOODOO - A documentary by Djimon Hounsou. Djimon Hounsou is one of my favorite underrated actors. Best known for Amistad and Blood Diamond and some Marvel movies. He directs this doc about Voodoo in his home country of Benin, higlighting its misconceptions in the West. Really good.

The Party - Peter Sellers as an Indian actor who gets wrongly invited to a Hollywood party. Blake Edwards directed. This movie is fascinating in that Sellers is straight up *brilliant* with his physical comedy, but the brownface is such a facepalm you can't help but groan.

Time Team - Long running British archaeology show hosted by none other than Baldric from Blackadder. Currently my binge favorite as there are tons of episodes. From Bronze Age to Industrial age, the team only has 3 days to excavate in each episode. Great show for the kids as well.

Some Kind of Hero - Here's a rarity. Little known Richard Pryor film from the early 80s. Pryor plays a Vietnam vet who returns home and faces all the pitfalls of adjusting. Co-stars Margot Kidder. This is more of a dramedy so don't expect nonstop belly laughs.

WGH

« Reply #502 on: 15 Aug 2020, 08:08 pm »
Norseman is a farcical, brutish satire featuring sensitive Vikings. A lot more bloody than Monty Python, men and women get poked in various places so not for the young kids unless you are real good at explaining what is happening.

Connected is for all ages, the kids will like the episode on Poop.

Giri/Haji is a well done crime drama that takes place in Tokyo and London. The series is about family and the modern Yakuza crime organizations. In English and Japanese (subtitled).

WGH

« Reply #503 on: 22 Aug 2020, 08:26 pm »

Shadow

A beautifully filmed epic tale of intrigue in ancient China directed by Zhang Yimou (HERO, HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS). Filmed in a hybrid black & white/color technique, the images never fail to impress. You could use this film as a demo to show off the amazing grey scale and black level of your new TV or projector.
94% on RT. Watch the trailer at the link below.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shadow_2018

twitch54

« Reply #504 on: 22 Aug 2020, 08:41 pm »
watched the series, 'Hinterland' ..... 4 stars

'Last Tango in Halifax' ..... 4 stars

Really enjoyed both

sunnydaze

« Reply #505 on: 25 Aug 2020, 02:30 pm »
Just finished both seasons of "Trapped" on Amazon prime.

Icelandic murder mystery that's a slow burn and really pulls you in.  Takes a bit of work because of the subtitles, but worth the effort.  Very well done.

sounddog

« Reply #506 on: 25 Aug 2020, 07:22 pm »
I too really liked Trapped. The Valhalla Murders, on Netflix, is another good Icelandic mystery series. Several other good Scandinavian murder series on Netflix are Bordertown and Deadwind (both are Finnish), Borderliner (Norwegian) and Quicksand (Swedish).

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #507 on: 26 Aug 2020, 12:55 am »
Umbrella Academy, Exceptional!

BobM

« Reply #508 on: 26 Aug 2020, 02:06 pm »
Just finished the first season of "The Great" on HULU. It's a fictional and satirical take on Catherine the Great. They call it an occasionally true story. Very good, even Great..

rodge827

« Reply #509 on: 26 Aug 2020, 02:10 pm »
Just watched the first two episodes of Hell On Wheels last night... looks good so far any feedback?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #510 on: 26 Aug 2020, 04:25 pm »
Just watched the first two episodes of Hell On Wheels last night... looks good so far any feedback?

I've watched and enjoyed all of it. Perhaps a little overacted at times, but the imagery makes up for it. And I guess I like the historical perspective, which is often not the case.

WGH

« Reply #511 on: 28 Aug 2020, 04:40 pm »
Ip Man, Ip Man 2, Ip Man 3, Ip Man 4

The four films loosely follows the life of real life marshal arts Master Ip Man of which Bruce Lee was his most famous student. I was surprised by the excellent production values, sound and choreography, especially in the first film. Ip Man 3 is a must see, Mike Tyson shows off what a dangerous animal he was with a ferocious fight sequence with Ip Man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQsxcbo6gk

All the films portray Ip Man as a quiet thoughtful person, always reluctant to fight unless honor is at stake. And there are plenty of fights.

I enjoyed my Ip Man film festival.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #512 on: 28 Aug 2020, 08:55 pm »
Dark on Netflix. Really liking it so far. It i pretty... dark.... :icon_twisted: Nice sci-fi with great production.

twitch54

« Reply #513 on: 28 Aug 2020, 08:59 pm »
Currently watching the series 'Wanted' , a cross between 'Thelma & Louise' and Harrison Fords the 'Fugitive'

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #514 on: 29 Aug 2020, 03:40 am »
I'm having fun watching the second season of The umbrella Academy.

rodge827

« Reply #515 on: 29 Aug 2020, 03:48 am »
I've watched and enjoyed all of it. Perhaps a little overacted at times, but the imagery makes up for it. And I guess I like the historical perspective, which is often not the case.

Thanks Peter I’m through 4 episodes and will stick with it. A lot better than the network garbage out there right now!  :duh:

sunnydaze

« Reply #516 on: 22 Oct 2020, 02:20 pm »
"Bad Blood" on Netflix.  First season is based on the rise and fall of the real life Rizzuto family and organized crime in Canada.   Dark and gritty, good cast.  A gripping and superior crime drama.   

:thumb:

BobM

« Reply #517 on: 22 Oct 2020, 03:17 pm »
Watched a movie last night - Rebecca - good flick.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #518 on: 22 Oct 2020, 04:15 pm »
On Netflix

Sense8 is an interesting psychological sci-fi foreign series.  Very slow start that gains momentum.
Space Force was a bit of a laugh.
Altered Carbon seemed good, but I really didn't get into it.
Better Than Us is I think Russian, another robot with feelings and a dangerous past, but I liked it.
Colony was pretty good, a bit too much everything is horribly out of control until miracle happens here, but watchable with actors you'll recognize from other hit shows.

Hell on Wheels is great, I watched it on the original broadcast.
Umbrella Academy is the best series on Netflix.

I'm teeing up Warrior Nun, Halt and Catch Fire, The I-land.

audibleguy

« Reply #519 on: 22 Oct 2020, 09:49 pm »
Try the The Haunting of Bly Manor series, Bill Burr Paper Tiger Special, etc.