RIP Lyle Mays

BobM

RIP Lyle Mays
« on: 11 Feb 2020, 03:10 pm »
Lyle Mays, keyboardist for decades with the Pat Metheny group has died after battling a long standing illness.

I don't know that he ever got the credit he deserved for his role in all those spectacular compositions and recordings. He did play with other people occasionally but most of his work was with Metheny. He was a unique voice in that group and a fabulous orchestrator. He was 66.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: RIP Lyle Mays
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2020, 06:06 pm »
Very sad news. His work definitely elevated Pat's already signature sound. His solo efforts were stellar as well. A shame his talents are lost so soon. His contribution to jazz will be missed by many.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2020, 06:24 pm »
Oh wow.

I love his piano playing. I kept wishing that he and Pat would play together again.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2020, 06:24 pm »
Great jazz musician, a underated jazz side man.
RIP

Ohmcomm

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2020, 09:54 pm »
The very cool thing about Lyle's (and Pat's) music is that it puts my mind in a position to think and consider things from angles that aren't normally possible. ..and I say this without any additional mood-altering chemicals!

The song of his (Lyle Mays) - "Long Life"  comes to mind right now. 66 is not a long life but the beautiful music he gave us will have a very long life <3

Bwanagreg

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2020, 11:59 pm »
Very sad and unexpected.

I had the pleasure of seeing him perform with Pat Metheny Group a couple of times, and those shows still stand out in my memory.

I also just learned today that while he was a student at North Texas State, he wrote one of my favorite high school jazz band charts, called Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. All these years I had no idea. Sadly there does not seem to be any professional recording of it aside from a few hard to find NTS Lab Band recordings from the mid 70's. Lots of student performances on YouTube though.

RIP
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2020, 01:13 am by Bwanagreg »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2020, 12:36 am »

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2020, 12:58 am »
Awe shit! He's too young!
Thanks for the announcement, Bob.

I was talking with pianist James Williams between his sets at The Willow in Somerville, MA in 1984 when Lyle walked up and James exploded with a big smile and a shout and they hugged like long lost brothers. James introduced me to Lyle and Lyle later sat in on a ballad. About a year later Lyle came to my gig at that same club, quite an honor to be sure, but I think he lived nearby and a young John Medeski was in that band. 

Lyle was a very, very gentle soul with a huge, warm and welcoming heart that you could feel standing next to him.
It is easy to hear his love in his music.

RIP, Lyle Mays

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2020, 12:59 am »
I saw this on Facebook this morning. Sad...I wondered why he hadn't been playing with Pat Metheny. Now I understand.

I've had the pleasure of seeing the PMG perform six or eight times. They are always in my spin list.

Lyle will be missed  :cry:

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:00 am »
An inseparable part of the Metheny sound on those ECM albums. RIP

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:09 am »
Very sad and unexpected.

I had the pleasure of seeing him perform with Pat Metheny Group a couple of times, and those shows still stand out in my memory.

I also just learned today that while he was a student at North Texas State, he wrote one of my favorite high school jazz band charts, called Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. All these years I had no idea. Sadly there does not seem to be any professional recording of it aside from a few hard to find NTS Lab Band recordings from the mid 70's. Lots of student performances on YouTube though.

RIP

So sorry to hear this. I saw Lyle with the PMG three times. Not only a great keyboardist but also writer and arranger. In high school jazz band we only made it to a few bars while attempting to play one of his N.T. charts. Incredibly difficult!

adam2VR

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2020, 03:20 pm »
An inseparable part of the Metheny sound on those ECM albums. RIP

Totally agree with that. There are a lot of things, which people cannot control and they read horoscopes and astrology articles to get some information about their present time or even future. This zodiac signs dates article helped me one day, when I needed to understand how to react on some new obstacles in my life.
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2020, 10:37 am by adam2VR »