How important is it to update firmware in BDA 2

Lancelot

How important is it to update firmware in BDA 2
« on: 3 Jun 2021, 11:26 pm »
 I am interested in buying a BDA 2 to be used solely as a DAC connected to my CD player using a coax connection. No computer, downloads, hires etc.
 Strictly using CDs that I own. Do I really need to update the firmware ( if a newer version is available ?)  I am concerned that I could screw up the process and would only do it if there is some significant advantage given the way I'm using the DAC.

Thank you.

R. Daneel

Re: How important is it to update firmware in BDA 2
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2021, 11:26 am »
I am interested in buying a BDA 2 to be used solely as a DAC connected to my CD player using a coax connection. No computer, downloads, hires etc.
 Strictly using CDs that I own. Do I really need to update the firmware ( if a newer version is available ?)  I am concerned that I could screw up the process and would only do it if there is some significant advantage given the way I'm using the DAC.

Thank you.

Hello!

I own a BDA-2 as well and as far as I know, upgrading the firmware is pretty useless and potentially hazardous. It is my guess that the revised F/W was to complement the newer revisions of PCBs inside, not to add features or change the manner in which the DAC behaves.

So, if your BDA-2 came with a specific F/W, then I would leave it as it is.

In fact, now that we're talking about it, I would have liked to see the BDA-2 muting the output before the UP-SAMPLE is engaged as it sometimes produces a loud click through the speakers. That would have been one F/W revision I would have liked to see. But I doubt it will happen now that BDA-2 is on it's way out, or has already been discontinued.

Hope this helps!

Cheers - Antun

mrhyfy

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2022, 10:36 pm »
Hello!

I own a BDA-2 as well and as far as I know, upgrading the firmware is pretty useless and potentially hazardous. It is my guess that the revised F/W was to complement the newer revisions of PCBs inside, not to add features or change the manner in which the DAC behaves.

So, if your BDA-2 came with a specific F/W, then I would leave it as it is.

In fact, now that we're talking about it, I would have liked to see the BDA-2 muting the output before the UP-SAMPLE is engaged as it sometimes produces a loud click through the speakers. That would have been one F/W revision I would have liked to see. But I doubt it will happen now that BDA-2 is on it's way out, or has already been discontinued.

Hope this helps!

Cheers - Antun

I too have the loud click through the speakers when the UP-SAMPLE is engaged or dis engaged, so it's safe to assume that's a normal condition?
Another problem my BDA-2 has, is static (scrathcy music) for the first few seconds of play through the USB port.  Only when first connected. It will play for hours then with no issue.  Is this normal??
Many thanks
John

R. Daneel

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2022, 11:45 am »
I too have the loud click through the speakers when the UP-SAMPLE is engaged or dis engaged, so it's safe to assume that's a normal condition?
Another problem my BDA-2 has, is static (scrathcy music) for the first few seconds of play through the USB port.  Only when first connected. It will play for hours then with no issue.  Is this normal??
Many thanks
John

Hi John!

Sorry for the delay! Yes, the "pop" when engaging and disengaging the uplsampling is normal. I think the built-in AK4399 chip has a mute function so it's a shame whoever wrote the firmware didn't make use of it to mute the signal before the operation takes place in the SRC4392 chip.

As for the "crackling" noise you hear, it's an interesting one. The fact it only appears for the first few seconds and then disappears tells me it probably isn't a hardware problem. The good thing (and the bad thing) about digital is that it either works fine or doesn't work at all, most of the time. I really have no idea about that! The X-MOS chip that's responsible for handling the USB signals is a complex one and no one apart from the manufacturer of that chip can say for certain how it works. If you are using your BDA-2 with a computer, the problem might be in your software player. Impossible to tell.

Cheers,
Antun