Subwoofer opinions needed

I.Greyhound Fan

Subwoofer opinions needed
« on: 26 Jan 2021, 06:55 pm »
My son wants to buy a subwoofer in the $1K range for music only.  He has narrowed it down to these subs-

Rhythmik F12SE, SVS 3000 pro (and a  used SVS 4000).

His  speakers are the Wharfedale Evo 4.4  https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/evo4-4/

He will probably be crossing the  sub over somewhere between 48hz to 60hz. 

Right now his system is in my large basement.

I told him that those subs are excellent and that he is probably splitting hairs but I prefer the SVS subs due to the fact that they have a 3 band adjustable parametric equalizer and a phone app that can used to control all  the settings.  The Rhythmik has a 1 band equalizer and no phone app.  The SVS uses a 13" driver vs 12" for the Rhythmik.  However, the Rhythmic is servo controlled.  Both are non ported.

I told  him that both subs will sound great and but I would go with the Rhythmik if he had planar or electrostatic speakers.  I feel that having a 3 band parametric  equalizer would be better so he could help tune the bass to his room.  In addition, if he ever wanted to use it for hometheater he could change the settings with the phone app.

All opinions welcome but please limit it to these subs only. My son wants to get more opinions.  He wants a sub that is musical, well controlled and where you can feel it. 

Thanks,

Larry

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Subwoofer opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2021, 12:14 pm »
You and your son should be aware of inherent in-room bass peaks/dips that can reach 30 dB!  Using of a single subwoofer or lining up one/two subwoofers along the line of the main loudspeakers exasperates the phenomena.  The best solution is carefully located multiple subwoofers.  Floyd Toole, in the 3rd edition of his book "Sound Reproduction" recommends 4 subwoofers located either in the corners or midway along each wall.  Try elevating one and/or connecting one out of phase.  Take a look at AudioKinesis.com "swarm". 

One sub can only add special effects rumble and boom.  For that just add any subwoofer that goes deep, louder for larger spaces.  I use (3) 10 inch carefully placed subwoofers in my audio room and a single used 15 inch subwoofer in my modest A/V system.  No need to spend $1000.  Most would suggest a sealed subwoofer for music, ported for A/V use. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2021, 02:51 pm »
I've been using my SB3000 for close to a year now and love it. Before purchasing I looked at Rythmik, HSU and a couple other sealed subs. I can't recall exactly what sold me on the SVS, but I'm glad I did. Aside from the sound, which never ceases to thrill me, the remote app is the biggest selling point over the other subs. It's one of those things that once you experience, it's hard to imagine living without it.

Being able to fine tune the sub without getting up and down, over and over, is invaluable to me. Also, not all recordings are EQd equally, and being able to dial the sub up or down instantly to accommodate is indispensable. I'll never own a sub without it.

NoDisco

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2021, 02:55 pm »
Agree with others. I have 2 tiny reps that once I moved from behind the speakers to a position perpendicular to them, I got much better bass. Neighbors are happier too. As I’ve discovered in this hobby, it’s not the gear so much as the setup. A lot of people of upgrade bc they don’t see the options of working with what they have. I’ve been guilty too.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2021, 09:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  My son's plan is to eventually go with dual subs.  I run dual subs and he has heard the difference.  He has also heard the difference between cheap subs and more expensive ones.  He is considering 2 of the cheaper offerings from Rhythmik.  They make a $500 sub that is sealed and servo controlled that has good reviews.  He could buy 2 of them. 

I agree that a swarm of subs is the way to go but you have to have the money and space.  Eventually when he gets his own place he will not have the amount of room that my basement has.

I will post his decision when he purchases a sub.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2021, 12:21 am »
My son purchased the Rythmik F12se after talking with a guy from Rythmik.  Will report back on it after its broken in.

Harley90

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2021, 02:58 pm »
Looking forward to the update as this is on my radar as well or multiples of the lowest price version....provided my new living space is a good fit, will have to sound great a low volumes...close neighbors 

Clinton

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2022, 03:13 am »
I ended up with dual SVS PB-3000 in my home theater project and love them. May add a third to get rid of some nulls in the room. Maybe a PC-4000 so it's easier to place in the back of the room.

I will say that I did test an SB-4000 and preferred it for music. There is some real magic in that sealed box over the ported 3000 that took bass clarity to a whole different level.

Vince in TX

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2022, 03:42 pm »
I ended up with dual SVS PB-3000 in my home theater project and love them. May add a third to get rid of some nulls in the room. Maybe a PC-4000 so it's easier to place in the back of the room.

I will say that I did test an SB-4000 and preferred it for music. There is some real magic in that sealed box over the ported 3000 that took bass clarity to a whole different level.

If you're looking for some real magic, try open baffle subs at the front of the room and a sealed sub at the back.    :thumb:

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2022, 03:25 pm »
Make sure whichever subwoofer he buys is compatible with the available connections.  I'd pick Rythmik all else being equal with their servo-sub design. 

genjamon

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2022, 08:34 pm »
How large is the basement?  The reason I ask is that I had dual 12" Rythmik sealed subs that were perfect in an 11 x 20 room with large opening to rest of house, but when I moved to a 20 x 25 room with cathedral ceiling and some door openings, those subs couldn't quite fill the space.  I needed to upgrade to dual 15's to properly energize that larger volume. 

I also recall having an AV system in my parents' unfinished basement one summer during undergrad and hooking up two 10" floorstanders with pretty good low end extension to the subwoofer output of my receiver using an extra amplifier, and it was almost like they weren't playing.  The basement was the size of the entire house footprint - probably >2000 sqft, and outside the listening area was largely filled with boxes and crap, used as a storage space.  That basement completely ate up bass waves for lunch. 

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2022, 09:56 pm »
Every time I build a home sub I lament about how less powerful they feel vs a car sub.

Cabin gain in a car is SO simple to leverage and get stupendous bass in a car without massive subs.  Or with them if that's your thing.

Always a consideration for HT etc.

FireGuy

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2022, 02:13 am »
Above most or all room accommodation issues is that of placing multiple subs.  One in each corner is what I understand to be optimum...ergo the "swarm" being your best option.  Size, type, power etc. are the next considerations.

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2022, 03:30 pm »
Single driver designs tend to be weak in bass, so a subwoofer for them should be able to crossover at relatively high frequencies, like 150 Hz or so.