Welcome! - The Vinyl Circle

vinyl_lady

Re: Welcome! - The Vinyl Circle
« Reply #20 on: 16 Sep 2009, 09:28 pm »
The very thought of burning an LP to CD makes me ill.

Wayner

Wayner, I couldn't agree more. About the only time I use it is for situations like RMAF and when I do an annual CD compilation that I give to friends and family for Christmas--A "what's Laura been listening to recently."

See you in Denver

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 16 Sep 2009, 09:43 pm »
Laura,

We'll just try talk you into some AVA stuff  aa

Just kidding!

Wayner  8)

orthobiz

« Reply #22 on: 16 Sep 2009, 10:13 pm »
After a month of listening on my B & O Beogram from the mid 70's,

Hey, I had a Beogram 3000 from 1975. What did you have?

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:47 am »
After a month of listening on my B & O Beogram from the mid 70's,

Hey, I had a Beogram 3000 from 1975. What did you have?

Paul

Paul,

Mine is a Beogram 2402. It is packed away in my basement in the original box which still has the price tag on it--$325, which was a lot of money for a turntable in the mid 70's.

Are you going to RMAF?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #24 on: 17 Sep 2009, 01:49 am »
Laura,

We'll just try talk you into some AVA stuff  aa

Just kidding!

Wayner  8)

Hey Wayner,

I hear good things about AVA stuff. I am looking forward to doing some listening in the AVA room at RMAF.

Wayner

« Reply #25 on: 17 Sep 2009, 11:50 am »
We won't have a table this year, but you can hear the rest of the electronics (amps, preamps with great phono boards and DACs) all available in solid state, or hybrid designs. Frank's DAC will make you tolerate your CD listening experience.

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #26 on: 17 Sep 2009, 02:27 pm »
Are you going to RMAF?

No, but I had so many things to do this year during the AKFest weekend. I'm gonna plan that one months in advance. I'm in Michigan...

Paul

Bob A (SD)

Denon MC carts
« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2009, 09:35 pm »
I'm posing simply because there seems to be missing some classic carts that I consider not only excellent performers but extreme overachievers for their prices.

As a sexagenarian I've had numerous carts over the decades (e.g.  Denon DL301, Shure V15 various series, Grado ZF3E+, Shure M91ED, MicroAcoustics 2002e, Empire 66QE/X, and others I simply can't remember).  But those that floated to the top and grabbed me were the Denon MC carts.  I'm currently running the superlative DL103D and very low output DL304.  My TT is a highly modified Merrill - AR "The Turntable" coupled with a DIY step up transformer based on a pair of CineMag CMQEE-3440A cans.  I sincerely believe I'm at the cusp of diminishing returns with this setup against higher cost newer fare.

At any rate, I highly recommend the Denon MC carts, especially the venerable 103 series.

Older snap as the table is now using a Target wall shelf and a PIB-1 among other things

Stark

« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2009, 05:30 am »
New here, looking forward to learning as much as I can and applying as much as I can afford. :)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #29 on: 21 Oct 2009, 08:24 am »
New here, looking forward to learning as much as I can and applying as much as I can afford. :)

Stark,

Welcome to AC and in particular the Vinyl Circle. I met a bunch of ACers at RMAF this year. All great folks who are passionate about music and this hobby. I look forward to your posts.

Laura

vinylphilemag

• Vinylphile magazine
« Reply #30 on: 21 Oct 2009, 02:35 pm »

Welcome from a relative fellow newcomer!

Nels Ferre

Re: Denon MC carts
« Reply #31 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:10 pm »
I'm posing simply because there seems to be missing some classic carts that I consider not only excellent performers but extreme overachievers for their prices.

As a sexagenarian I've had numerous carts over the decades (e.g.  Denon DL301, Shure V15 various series, Grado ZF3E+, Shure M91ED, MicroAcoustics 2002e, Empire 66QE/X, and others I simply can't remember).  But those that floated to the top and grabbed me were the Denon MC carts.  I'm currently running the superlative DL103D and very low output DL304.  My TT is a highly modified Merrill - AR "The Turntable" coupled with a DIY step up transformer based on a pair of CineMag CMQEE-3440A cans.  I sincerely believe I'm at the cusp of diminishing returns with this setup against higher cost newer fare.

At any rate, I highly recommend the Denon MC carts, especially the venerable 103 series.

Older snap as the table is now using a Target wall shelf and a PIB-1 among other things

Micro Acoustics...that's a blast from the past.

I'm thinking of trying a Denon DL-301 myself. It must be a classic for a reason. If I do, I hope it works out better than the Shure V15 Type V MR, it may be a classic, but it didn't float my boat at all.

midfi

• nisi credideritis, non intelligetis
« Reply #32 on: 7 Feb 2010, 07:09 am »
I personally prefer the V-15iii and even the IV over the V.  The V didn't do it for me either but I love the iii almost as much as my AT15Sa, almost... :wink:

mjcmt

« Reply #33 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:36 am »
About a year ago I bought an Alesis Masterlink ML 9600 hard disk recorder. It does a nice job of making CDs from vinyl. It allows one to make both Red Book and 24 bit/96kHZ recordings. http://www.alesis.com/masterlink. I haven't taken the time to learn how to use all the bells and whistles that came with it. I insert the track changes on the fly as I record vinyl to the hard disk. It allows me to burn a CD straight from the hard disk. It does a very nice job.

Does anyone use, or has considered, the Benchmark ADC from TT to their computer?

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/adc1/

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #34 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:44 am »

Same here.

msm_1

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jul 2010, 02:24 am »
Hi

Just thought I'd say a quick hi to everyone. Being 50 this year ( never thought I'd say that in public ) and growing up with 5 older brothers, gave me the chance to listen to, and inherit, some great albums over the years ( both 33 and 45's )

Right now, I'm using a VPI Scout, and 2 arms. 1 using a Koetsu Black, other will have a rebuilt Jade Platinum ( as soon as I get it back from a rebuild from Koetsu )

Thanks and look forward to reading everyone's posts!

Mike

bauzace50

« Reply #36 on: 20 Mar 2011, 09:43 pm »
Greetings,

this is my second post in the Audio Circle (the first one being in DaveyW thread about Basic DIY Steam & Vac...).

It's great to do the first navigations in this Circle, knowing several of the regulars here  :D.  I will probably  post infrequently, but with the intention of bringing value to the discussions. 

Best wishes to all, in this great forum,
bauzace50

DaveyW

« Reply #37 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:11 pm »
Hello Old Friend,
Glad you made it over here, looking forward to your onward contributions.
Cheers
Dave

orthobiz

« Reply #38 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:11 am »
Greetings,

I will probably  post infrequently, but with the intention of bringing value to the discussions. 

Best wishes to all, in this great forum,
bauzace50

Post a lot! I've seen your other elsewhere posts and you always add value. BTW I think John sold me your HW-19 periphery ring!

Paul

bauzace50

« Reply #39 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:34 am »
Hi Paul,
things go around a lot on this planet!  So glad to hear of that periphery ring!  My episodes with it rubbed against my wish to have the HW-19 Mk III look as close to "stock" as possible.  But it was necessary to change the suspension, and that brought some other dislocations, so I opted for "stock" status instead of a "modified" look.

The only things that could make me change from my HW-19 Mk III would be a huge load of funds :green:   to purchase one VPI Classic with its peripheral ring, or, the Townshend damped turntable system.  The Townshend "The Rock 7" would probably be my first choice, due to my personal ignorance and unfamiliarity with unipivot tonearms...aversion to explore the unknowns of unipivots. :oops:

Thanks, and regards,
bauzace50
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2011, 08:00 am by bauzace50 »