All wood; what happens with seasonal movement?

Kooshball

All wood; what happens with seasonal movement?
« on: 1 Aug 2013, 05:13 pm »
I just stumbled across this mfg of speakers and am curious about the solid wood construction.  I do understand how thickness and bracing can yield a cabinet of appropriate stiffness but how is the long term integrity of the baffles?  It seems to me that the width is not negligent in terms of movement with the seasons so how many of these front baffles have cracked over the years?

Thx

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
Re: All wood; what happens with seasonal movement?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2013, 08:00 pm »
I just stumbled across this mfg of speakers and am curious about the solid wood construction.  I do understand how thickness and bracing can yield a cabinet of appropriate stiffness but how is the long term integrity of the baffles?  It seems to me that the width is not negligent in terms of movement with the seasons so how many of these front baffles have cracked over the years?

Thx

good question!  we have in twenty years had only a couple of these develop a minor crack, and have changed the design to minimize that.  those couple that have cracked are easily repaired and it is not in any way structural.  as for the sides which are much more critical in this construction we have not had any issues with cracking with our current woods.  many years ago we made a few pro cabinets from hickory and stopped that after a couple cracked.

btw the solid hardwood is inherently much more stiff than MDF, and we do brace these extensively to go well beyond what is possible with an MDF cabinet of any reasonable weight.

thanks,
lou

Kooshball

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2013, 11:15 pm »
Do you sell to the DIY community or only completed sets?

Thx

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2013, 06:08 pm »
Do you sell to the DIY community or only completed sets?

Thx
sorry but we do not sell any parts or plans. these systems are more than the sum of the parts, the craftsmanship and detail in making these is easily as important as  the parts to achieving this level of sound quality.

thanks,
lou

audiogoober

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2013, 11:09 pm »
I am one of the customers Lou was referring to. Living in Northern NH the humidity level gets quite low every winter and high in the summer. Two winters ago, one of my Daedalus maple/walnut bases separated on a joint. Lou was quite surprised and took care of me. A few weeks later my wife noticed another piece of fine furniture in our home that "separated" from movement" at the joint... I think this is mostly caused by moderate to severe changes in temp/humidity.... and most of know that - but I wasn't thinking or doing anything about it at the time.  Since then I use automatic humidifiers to control the climate and haven't had any more issues with movement, doorways closing stiff in rainy weather, etc. I'm in the process of installing a split AC unit with temp and humidity controls in my room and will post an update after I spend a few seasons with it.     
« Last Edit: 10 Aug 2013, 12:15 pm by audiogoober »