Differences between 3, 7, and Alnico?

yyz67

Differences between 3, 7, and Alnico?
« on: 5 Nov 2014, 07:01 pm »
Hi Omegans,

I've recently become interested in Omegas. Since I won't have the opportunity to hear them before buying, I'm thinking about starting with a 3 series monitor (RS5) and if it clearly goes beyond my current reference 2-way either keep it or upgrade. Although I'm very curious about the Alnico line, I've got too much $ in speakers right now even though there is a 30-day return policy.

I've asked Louis in an email but I wanted to ask owners who have had speakers from each line (3/RS5, 7/RS7, or Alnico 6 HempCone) how similar vs. different they are. That is, because they are single-driver designs are they 90-95% similar in tonality, imaging, soundstaging, transparancy, dynamics...  Or are they entirely different takes on single-driver designs with obvious sonic differences/tradeoffs.  Also, is the Alnico an unqualified improvement over the RS5 in all attributes or is it again a matter of trade offs?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2014, 09:42 pm by yyz67 »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Differences between 3, 7, and Alnico?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2014, 07:31 pm »
I have compared the RS7A and RS7V in an XRS cabinet.  The RS7 Alnico, IMO, is a much more refined sound with a nicer feeling texture (eg, guitar strings, breath, etc) and more defined mid-bass.  The RS7V has a more extended top end, but tires me more quickly.  I imagine the RS7F has even more top end than the 7V (whizzer cone in 7F, none in 7V).  I've not heard the top of the line Alnico, but would love to!

........Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2014, 07:52 pm »
The sound quality of the three Omega speaker lines (3, 7, Alnico Hemp) are a progression in sound quality, and price, but not in value.  They are all equal in value for the dollar, and they all IMO are a far better value than anything near their price.  It doesn't matter whether it's a Super 3 Desktop, an Alnico Monitor or XRS, or any Omega in between - they are a steal. 

Without a doubt the Alnico Hemp Monitor and XRS are the best speakers Louis makes, and they have been for years.

Sadly, many believe single driver speakers should be lower cost than multi driver ones.....because.....well.....it only has one driver.  They don't realize that in many cases that single driver is worth far more $ than an entire array of drivers in many, if not most multi driver speakers, not to mention the engineering required to make a great full range driver.  Can't rely on a crossover network to sort everything out like with multiple drivers.  Everything must be done by that one driver.  One reason many manufacturers have tried their hand at single drivers and given up, is because they either haven't the patience or the skills to do so.  Louis has both.

rob303

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2014, 03:14 pm »
I would love to hear more on the comparisons between these drivers too. I have heard the 3XRS and I was amazed at the speed and detail! Has anyone compared the 3XRS to the 7XRS (and AlNiCo) and noticed any lessening of detail when jumping up to the larger driver? How about noticeable gains in bottom end?

Thanks!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2014, 10:43 pm »
I would love to hear more on the comparisons between these drivers too. I have heard the 3XRS and I was amazed at the speed and detail! Has anyone compared the 3XRS to the 7XRS (and AlNiCo) and noticed any lessening of detail when jumping up to the larger driver? How about noticeable gains in bottom end?

Thanks!
I have had many Omegas go through my place, but nothing sounds like the 6.5" Alnico Hemp.  It wins on every count.  The RS5 is faster, but the Alnico is more detailed and refined.  It is so easy to listen to, yet utterly jaw dropping when matched with the right front end. 

The 2 Alnico Hemp Models (Monitor and XRS) are priced way too low, causing prospective buyers to discuss them in the same breath as the lower models.  They shouldn't, they're in a class by themselves.
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2014, 07:30 pm by Canada Rob »

Good Times

« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2014, 02:12 am »
Heard both, if budget is not a consideration (i.e. if you can afford either of them) then I don't see any reason not to go the Alnico range. Sure in the upper range there might be slight advantages with the smaller driver, but the boost in performance at the mid to lower frequencies far outweigh them imo.

beowulf

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2014, 03:21 am »
I have had many Omegas go through my place, but nothing sounds like the 6.5" Alnico Hemp.  It wins on every count.  The RS5 is faster, but the Alnico is more detailed and refined.  It is so easy to listen to, yet utterly jaw dropping when matched with the right front end. 

The 2 Alnico Hemp Models are priced way too low, causing prospective buyers to discuss them in the same breath as the lower models.  They shouldn't, they're in a class by themselves.

2 AlNiCo HEMP models?  Is the RS7 actually HEMP based?  I didn't realize that if so ... How about a comparison of the RS7A against the 6.5"?  Are we talking subtle or OMG when comparing those 2?

rob303

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2014, 05:29 am »
What about the AlNiCo vs. this new 8" we are seeing?! I have heard the 8 has better speed and detail than the 7" - similar to the 4.5" - but with the slam of a bigger driver.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2014, 07:25 pm »
What about the AlNiCo vs. this new 8" we are seeing?! I have heard the 8 has better speed and detail than the 7" - similar to the 4.5" - but with the slam of a bigger driver.
The 6.5" Alnico Hemp Driver has advantages over all Louis' other drivers. 
1) Alnico Magnet: you just have to hear a well designed speaker that has this type of motor.  In the golden age of audio, alnico motors where much more common.  Manufacturers went away from them because they are expensive to manufacture.
2) HempCone: In this size driver hemp has a tonal quality that paper just doesn't match (although paper still sounds very good, as in Omegas other drivers).
3) The Basket: Look at the website pictures and you will see the basket with it's motor cooling vents is in a totally different class than his other driver baskets.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2014, 07:29 pm »
2 AlNiCo HEMP models?  Is the RS7 actually HEMP based?  I didn't realize that if so ... How about a comparison of the RS7A against the 6.5"?  Are we talking subtle or OMG when comparing those 2?
When I said 2 Alnico Hemp models, I meant Monitor and XRS.  Sorry if I was unclear.
All RS7 drivers are paper.

ZLS

« Reply #10 on: 3 Dec 2014, 08:57 pm »
    I have the RS5 Bipole (2 41/2 " Drivers per side) and the Alnico 6 Monitor.

Before I speak of the differences, it is important to note that both Drivers excel in timing,

that is that they let the notes go.

This translates into the Music making sense, and being easy to follow. 

The difference between the two Drivers?

The 4 1/2" Driver is all about transparency. 

The 6 1/2 " Alnico Driver is all about tone. 

How does this translate into reproducing Music?

The 4 1/2" Driver loves Guitar.

The 6 1/2" Alnico Driver loves Piano. 

So, it will all depend on what you listen to. 

yyz67

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2014, 10:57 pm »

Can I ask your progression was in getting them and why you have both?

Do you run them in the same 2-ch system and switch based on taste/mood or do you have two systems?

What do you drive them with?

Thanks!

FireGuy

« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:00 am »

Before I speak of the differences, it is important to note that both Drivers excel in timing,

that is that they let the notes go.

This translates into the Music making sense, and being easy to follow. 

The difference between the two Drivers?

The 4 1/2" Driver is all about transparency.  Totally correct...with remarkable staging and depth.

How does this translate into reproducing Music?

The 4 1/2" Driver loves Guitar. Plus female vocals and synth and anything acoustic.  Especially acoustic.   The RS5 generates that wow factor you've got to hear to understand.

A few endorsements.  I find your description to be quite accurate.  I recently added a 2nd sub with my Super 5's and it's added another layer (dimension) of sound. 

beowulf

« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2014, 03:41 am »

Where did you hear/read this about the 8"?

ZLS

« Reply #14 on: 4 Dec 2014, 04:04 am »

I listen to both speakers in the same system; a combo Stereo and Flat Screen 2 Channel Home Theater.

After listening to various forms of the 4 1/2" Driver, I decided to hear for myself what all the talk was about concerning

the 6 1/2" Alnico Driver.  No regrets for doing it. 

I listen to the 4 1/2"s with a Pure Class A SS Amplifier (Pass Labs Aleph J)

I listen to the Alnico Driver with a more conventional SS (Brown Electronic Labs 1001 Mk 4)

Which one do I like better?

The truth just happens to be the ultimate copout;

Whichever one I am listening to at the moment.   

yyz67

« Reply #15 on: 4 Dec 2014, 05:43 am »
     Which one do I like better?
    The truth just happens to be the ultimate copout;
    Whichever one I am listening to at the moment.

That is actually a high endorsement for both/either!

A way to not allow you to cop out: if you had to choose just one to live with forever on a desert island...

rob303

« Reply #16 on: 4 Dec 2014, 12:43 pm »
I spoke with Louis over the phone after originally reading the OP. The announcement/release of the new 8" is serendipitous as I have been researching Omega for the past month. After experiencing the 3XRS, I was blown away by what a full-range driver can do, much less one that is 4.5"!!! Anyway, I wanted something with more boom and slam but with the speed and detail of the RS5. I was vacillating between doing the RS5 w/ a Speed 12 or going with the 7XRS. Then I saw the 8" here and called Louis. Without prompting, he explained this 8" has the speed and detail of the RS5 (mush more so than the RS7) while offering the "slam" of a larger driver. Then add the 98dB sensitivity and this model hits my top-3 requirements in a new speaker!

I will probably order this speaker today ;-)

yyz67

« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2014, 08:08 pm »
I'm confused about the 8". There used to be an 8" hemp (I think). Is this 8" Alnico or ferrite + paper or hemp?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2014, 08:11 pm »
I'm confused about the 8". There used to be an 8" hemp (I think). Is this 8" Alnico or ferrite + paper or hemp?
The new 8" driver is ferrite + paper.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #19 on: 4 Dec 2014, 10:09 pm »

You made a post in the thread.  :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130573.0