somewhat overlooked artists?

reddmadder

Re: somewhat overlooked artists?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jun 2007, 12:54 pm »
Stina Nordenstam,Bjork,The Frames,The Waterboys,Tanita Takaram,Art of Noise,Everything ButThe Girl,Massive Attack, Craig Armstrong,The Trucks...PLENTY MORE ... have to look in my library

rave959

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jun 2007, 02:11 am »
Paul Weller... very prolific but not a fan of the bluesy stuff he's been churning out. Just bought his cd the other day and I can say with certainty that I'll never listen to it again. Shame, cuz I'm a huge fan of the Jam and the Style Council.

Funny that New Wave was brought up. I've been on a big New Wave buying binge as of late. Just picked up all of Heaven 17's remastered cd's, Pete Shelley, Missing Persons, Ultravox, Cabaret Voltaire, Art Of Noise, Gary Numan and few others. Makes me want to go to my 20yr high school reunion. Like, totally.

Toxteth,

Cool bands.  Yeah, I got into British New Wave/Indie a whole lot back then.  I still collect records and hunt them whenever time permits.  Heaven 17 - Let Me Go - cool song, especially the 12" version. 

Ultravox got some cool songs as well - Vienna, Dancing with tears in my eyes and such. 

Ever listen to a german goth band called x'mal deustchland?  pretty cool.  If you ever listened to The Sisters of Mercy, you'll like this one. 

I was also big with The Cure, The Church, and Depeche Mode. 

Papajin

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jun 2007, 03:54 am »
If you like DM, Camouflage is quite good and sound similar.  Their first LP Voices & Images seems like a good place to start to me.

eric the red

« Reply #23 on: 7 Jun 2007, 04:28 am »
Uh beg to differ on Bjork unless 15 million albums sold is the overlooked cut-off point.
Agree on the Waterboys. Add the late great Michael Hedges to the list.
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2007, 04:47 am by eric the red »

Papajin

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jun 2007, 04:32 am »
I kinda was questioning bjork too.  I don't care for that much myself, but she's had some reasonable popularity over the years.

eric the red

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jun 2007, 04:44 am »
The Harlots Of 42nd Street were WAAAY overlooked right Wolfy? :wink:

rave959

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jun 2007, 05:20 am »
If you like DM, Camouflage is quite good and sound similar.  Their first LP Voices & Images seems like a good place to start to me.

Papajin,

I like your suggestion.  In fact, I do have that album on CD.  My brother, who's influenced me with this music used to have the tape, but my cousin borrowed it and never returned the damn thing! Anyways, regarding Camouflage, I also like the other album that had "Love is a Shield".  But of course, Voices and Images is what I like the most and still listen to after all these years!

Kraftwerk is pretty cool, too.  Newer new-wave techno pop such as Fischerspooner comes into mind as well! 

Once again, thanks for bringing Camouflage up!  Cool music!

Cheers,
ian

nathanm

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jun 2007, 06:19 am »
Thanks wolfy, "Death Walks Behind You" must be the song I was thinking of.  I always had a subconscious interest in bands like Cactus, Triumvirate, Budgie and Captain Beyond as they were mentioned in lists inside the liner notes of some of my metal CDs.  Budgie, what a great name!  :lol:  Uriah Heep - they had that red demon album cover didn't they?  Gotta love "The Wizard", I think someone's stepping on that backup singer's balls!

"Overlooked" is a tough one.  Hard to say just how well-known a certain band is.  My picks are: Agent Steel, Confessor, Jag Panzer, Ras Algethi, Trouble, The Fucking Champs.  Maybe they deserved more recognition than they got, I dunno.  Still, those bands all have record deals so they're not that overlooked. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jun 2007, 06:35 am »

they were a cool band, I can not remember the title I had unfortunitly on cassette, will amazon it.  Now if you listened to them you probably stumbled into Bloodwin Pig?

I think you mean Blodwyn Pig, don't you? Saw them (sort of) in Cardiff in 1970 .... I think .... :scratch: :?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #29 on: 7 Jun 2007, 06:43 am »
nathan...
Still, those bands all have record deals so they're not that overlooked.
They have or had deals....but I'll bet if you ask people about those bands, maybe 1 out of 10 to 20 people would  know who they were. :?
There's a lot of music out there....you just can't know them all.....but its fun trying... 8)

1000a

« Reply #30 on: 7 Jun 2007, 04:46 pm »
Gotta love "The Wizard", I think someone's stepping on that backup singer's balls!

true, but it was fun to listen to, singers with balls in vice grips are standard fare in a lot of metal of any era. :lol:

Some bands, singers sart with record deals (Steve Forbert) and lose em (find small label or other way), cause they do not sell enough, or will not cow tow to the record companies ideas about art and other demands.  Geez where would we be if someone was controlling the look of Van Gogh's paintings.  Gotta love the $$ changers they make the world so nice and full of soul.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #31 on: 20 Jun 2007, 05:20 pm »

Papajin

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jun 2007, 07:18 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-6veuSrN8I

Imperial

Marte Wulff does sound amazing... I can see why she's overlooked at least in North America though... She needs to get her CDs out there better!  According to her website there aren't any retailers in North America that carry her CDs.

nefertem

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jun 2007, 01:06 am »
two of my favorite artist Laura Nyro and Jan Akkerman

mihilli

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jun 2007, 01:30 am »
Jan Ackerman playing his Langcaster guitar from New Zealand.  Made of 25,000 year old swamp Kauri.  I bought one a few years back, great guitar with the Langcaster designed pickups as well.  Very quiet but she'll really scream when you crank it up.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:24 am »
What about Southern Culture on the Skids??

Sounds like a combination of the B52's and CCR, with maybe a bit of the Cramps thrown in as well.

A bit more mainstream, but still under the radar a bit would be Los Lobos. Everybody knows them from the Los Lobos soundtrack, but they did lots of other better stuff, IMHO.

Airborn

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jun 2007, 10:14 pm »
What about Southern Culture on the Skids??

Nice call with Southern Culture on the Skids. :thumb:  Somewhat similar overlooked artists with a "southern" rock flavor would be Reverend Horton Heat, Drive By Truckers and North Mississippi All Stars.

There are too many other overlooked artists to list IMO, but some of the ones that come to mind are The Crickets (w/o Buddy Holley), Fairport Convention, Mushroom, Kaleidoscope, Esbjorn Svensson Trio, Jeff Gauthier Goatette, The Minutemen, Bad Brains, Peter Case, Bob Schneider and even relatively well known groups in Canada like The Sadies (with and without Neko Case) and Blue Rodeo, that usually get greeted with a  :scratch: when mentioned to someone in the USA.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2007, 11:21 pm by Airborn »

PhilNYC

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:04 pm »
The Harlots Of 42nd Street were WAAAY overlooked right Wolfy? :wink:

Someone has GOT to make an Audiocircle T-Shirt out of this picture...!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #38 on: 27 Jun 2007, 04:20 am »
PhilNYC....
Someone has GOT to make an Audiocircle T-Shirt out of this picture...!

I did Phil...... :lol:

The company that does the Audio Circle shirts also allows you to upload your own image and put it on a t-shirt. So....I did. Check my gallery for that concert photo..... :guitar:

Link...