New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!

Chilkoot

Re: New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!
« Reply #200 on: 25 Jan 2020, 06:43 pm »
Danny, Thanks for putting this package together. I have started saving up the funds. :)

Norb

« Reply #201 on: 26 Jan 2020, 01:08 am »
Can the Studio Monitor be laid on its side with the tweeters towards the outside?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #202 on: 26 Jan 2020, 02:35 pm »
The Studio Monitors were not designed for that orientation. The back wave of the tweeter needs to be able to reflect off the wall and ceiling behind them in order to give the spatial effect of the open baffle concept.

Rock Ball

« Reply #203 on: 26 Jan 2020, 06:09 pm »
My brother and I made a trip to Danny's this weekend to pick up some parts and got to hear these speakers.  We were astonished at the quality of sound coming out of this size of speaker.  Wow, what great sound!  My brother, who wasn't in the market for new speakers, changed his mind after hearing how good they sounded and wanted to buy them.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #204 on: 26 Jan 2020, 06:19 pm »
 :thumb:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #205 on: 26 Jan 2020, 06:43 pm »
"Rock Ball" thanks for posting that! I'm very excited to hear them for myself. I'm putting together a system for my father based on these Studio Monitor's. He is a bit unsure of my decision to go with something that he has not heard of and that neither of us have heard in person. So I am trusting this community to steer me in the right direction. Sounds like they will be amazing loud speakers.

Rock Ball

« Reply #206 on: 26 Jan 2020, 07:57 pm »
He is a bit unsure of my decision to go with something that he has not heard of and that neither of us have heard in person. So I am trusting this community to steer me in the right direction.

Actually, we were picking up parts for a pair of the NX-Treme speakers and triple H-frame servo sub kits that I purchased on faith alone.  I had never heard them.  I bought them relying only on reviews on this forum.  Some people would suggest never to buy speakers that way, but I had faith in Danny because my brother has done business with him over the years.  Well, when I heard the NX-Tremes at Danny's, I couldn't have been more happy.  I made a great decision to buy these speakers.  The reviews were spot on.  (I'll post info on this in a separate thread.)

In my opinion, you made a great choice.

mr_bill

« Reply #207 on: 26 Jan 2020, 08:05 pm »
I still can’t find the new Studio Monitor on the website.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #208 on: 26 Jan 2020, 09:12 pm »
Ya they are not on the web site yet. You have to call on the phone. I'm going to be calling to place my order this week.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #209 on: 26 Jan 2020, 09:33 pm »
Rock Ball I know that many don't recommend that approach to buying speakers but nowadays that kinda goes for audio equipment in general. With the rise of online sales and the subsequent decline of brick and mortar outlets, we have to be a bit more adventurous and trusting of reviews from others. This forum seems to be a good place to get good advice. After poking around a while you can get a sense of what others know and even see photos of their systems etc. That gives me more faith in the recommendations I get. Plus I have never been afraid to try new things and technology.

Yes please post you thoughts and findings on your new NX-Treme's and subs. I'm very interested in these. That should be a fun project! Enjoy.

kkchome

« Reply #210 on: 27 Jan 2020, 03:48 am »
I am quite interesting in these monitors as I am in the market for new speakers in my office system.  However, I don't have experience or the tools required to build the cabinets.  Is there any intention of supplying these kits in flat pack format, with all the mdf panels of the cabinets already pre-cut?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #211 on: 28 Jan 2020, 02:30 pm »
I think there is someone on here that could build a set for you. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164355.0  Maybe start a new thread asking that question in the title.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #212 on: 30 Jan 2020, 01:53 pm »
Just placed my order for the kit Tuesday. Danny said he was out of No Res but is expecting more today (Thursday). Hopefully the kit will ship tomorrow. I'm very excited to try these! I'm planning on building at least two sets of cabinets maybe three. I have a feeling I will want a set for myself (the first pair are for my Dad) and just an extra pair in case someone else wants one. It's easy enough to cut all the parts at the same time so why not. Plus MDF is inexpensive.

I have mentioned that I am building a system for my dad. He gave me a budget of $5,000. I have been shopping the second hand market and have ordered so far: a Rogue audio Pharaoh integrated amp, a Music Hall MMF 7.3 TT with Ortofon 2m bronze cart, a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC and a Pangea Vulcan X equipment rack. The Pharaoh is Rogue's top of the line integrated and has a tube pre section with a class D amp plus a very good tube phono section and headphone amp. I'm hoping it will be a great match with the Studio Monitors. One thing for sure, it is fun spending other peoples money! HaHa!

electronicsfanatic

« Reply #213 on: 11 Feb 2020, 02:35 am »
WHy do I have to read these forums.  Danny now you got me interested in the mini floor stander you mentioned with the three M165 drivers.  I’m not even done with this build!  Damn!!! 

WarmColors

« Reply #214 on: 11 Feb 2020, 08:14 pm »
Danny,

On page 5 you mentioned you were working on a floor standing version? Any updates on that version? Would love a pair of the NX series but they are OB, I don't have the space.
A larger version would be amazing.

Thank you.

Danny Richie

« Reply #215 on: 11 Feb 2020, 10:23 pm »
Danny,

On page 5 you mentioned you were working on a floor standing version? Any updates on that version? Would love a pair of the NX series but they are OB, I don't have the space.
A larger version would be amazing.

Thank you.

There are some options there.

The best thing is to allow some flexibility down low so that they will work well in any room.

The easiest way to make them into a three way design that works well is to add two M-165/16 woofers in a sealed box right below them and power them with a separate sub-woofer style plate amp.

So you'd basically be adding the lower section of the X-Statik but having the flexibility of output level adjustment and phase.

Or just add a servo sub, but you could implement what is discussed above and add a servo sub. That would really work out well.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #216 on: 12 Feb 2020, 02:31 pm »
Hi guys.

Well the NX-Studio kit arrived yesterday (Danny is that going to be the new name for these?) Man these are some very high quality looking drivers and well just all of it. Very excited about this project. Planning to start this weekend.

I opted for the copper cap upgrade. Those look real nice.

I have a couple questions for Danny:

1. Can you talk about the purpose of the "Yarn Mod" to the tweeter? Have not seen that mentioned. I assume it's a tuning mod? (the tweeters come with a length of yarn and instructions for weaving it through the grills of the back of the tweeters)

2. Looking at the cabinet drawings, which way does the internal U-shaped brace face? I would think the open end would face the rear so the closed end can support the side walls closer to the center. Looks like there would still room behind the woofer. That should be indicated in the drawing.

3. Do you know what kind of wood the veneer on the baffle is? It looks like either cherry or alder. I'm hoping its cherry because I have selected cherry for the side panels and would be great if it matched. Was planning to paint the baffle black with black grill on top, but if it's cherry, that would look very cool also. (the MDF on this pair of baffles is veneered on both sides)

Thanks Danny.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #217 on: 12 Feb 2020, 03:52 pm »

1. Can you talk about the purpose of the "Yarn Mod" to the tweeter? Have not seen that mentioned. I assume it's a tuning mod? (the tweeters come with a length of yarn and instructions for weaving it through the grills of the back of the tweeters)

The yarn goes on the side that will face you.  Here’s the link to explain the yarn.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152039.0

Jaytor

« Reply #218 on: 12 Feb 2020, 06:41 pm »
The yarn basically reduces the output near the outside edges of the driver. This makes the driver act like it has a narrower diaphragm, which improves it's lateral off-axis response.

Danny Richie

« Reply #219 on: 13 Feb 2020, 12:06 am »

Those other two guys already nailed that one.

2. Looking at the cabinet drawings, which way does the internal U-shaped brace face? I would think the open end would face the rear so the closed end can support the side walls closer to the center. Looks like there would still room behind the woofer. That should be indicated in the drawing.

And that U shaped brace faces forward. That means the open end faces the woofers.

3. Do you know what kind of wood the veneer on the baffle is? It looks like either cherry or alder. I'm hoping its cherry because I have selected cherry for the side panels and would be great if it matched. Was planning to paint the baffle black with black grill on top, but if it's cherry, that would look very cool also. (the MDF on this pair of baffles is veneered on both sides)

I think it might be Cherry. I don't know for sure. I got a great deal on sheets of that stuff at an auction.