Hello! / Building GR Research XLS Encore

chrispychris

Hello! / Building GR Research XLS Encore
« on: 26 Feb 2020, 09:57 pm »
Hello!

I'm a young audiophile studying computer engineering. I have been progressing further into the hobby over the past couple of years. Started by modding some headphones, then put a modest stereo system together, built a kit tube amp, and have just begun my dive into the DIY speaker community. I got the GR Research XLS Encore kit with the flat-pack CNC cut cabinet. I have a few things I'd like to do different that I would like some input on:

1. External modified crossover

2. Speakon connectors?

To start ill preface with the question, what are the opinions on speakon connectors for home audio/hifi? Mainly related to electrical/sound differences. I make my own cables so I dont particularly care about availability.

Besides the satisfying click when you lock the connector in, I am interested in the speakon connector for it's ability to use 4 contacts. If I were to house my crossover externally I could run signal for the woofer and the tweeter in a single cable. Opinions? That brings me to the external, modified crossover. I have attached the schematic. Would it be detrimental to separate the woofer and tweeter sections of the crossover for bi-amping? I would just separate the ground and input rails to two sets of terminals like in the schematic. I ask because the schematic shows them separate but every one that I've seen built has a single pos neg input.

I simulated doing this in NI Multisim (a circuit simulation tool) and based on the AC sweep I ran on both configurations I did not see any difference but am I missing something? Also I know all of the arguments for and against bi-amping, modifying the crossover is a interim step that I can do right now while I am designing an active crossover circuit.

If you have any feedback let me know, and I'm happy to be part of the community!

Thanks,

chrispychris
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2020, 04:08 am by chrispychris »

Wind Chaser

Re: Hello! / Building GR Research XLS Encore
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2020, 11:24 pm »
Hi Chris,

Welcome to Audio Circle.

I’m going to suggest you copy and paste the bulk of your post in the GR Research circle where it will get the attention it deserves.  :D

John

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2020, 11:46 pm »
Welcome Chris :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2020, 12:36 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Chris   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2020, 01:16 am »
I will move this topic to GR Research Circle.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2020, 02:18 am »
Welcome!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2020, 03:20 am »
Chris,

Welcome

First a point of propriety, those schematics are Danny’s intellectual property and how he makes his living. He doesn’t mind us asking questions or posting pics of crossover builds as long as the parts values are not visible. Please modify you post to delete the schematic.

You can separate the woofer and tweeter circuits. You can make the crossover external but it is not necessary just for separating the circuits for bi-wiring.

You can use Speakon connectors, but tube connectors will give you better sound.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2020, 02:59 pm »
A couple of things.

I like the SpeakOn connectors as well. We use them on all our subs. But for ranges about 200Hz they give a lot up to the tube connectors in clarity and detail.

Mounting the crossover externally doesn't hurt, but doesn't gain you anything either, and you need twice the connectors to connect it.

Bi-amping is great for a speaker that is full range, has large woofers with big voice coils, and have a lot of travel. Those larger woofers will create a large back EMF that can affect the rest of the speaker to some degree.

However, for a small two way design the benefits of bi-amping are little to none.

Use that separate amp to drive your subs and don't worry too much about the main speakers.

If you want to take things up a notch then add an inline filter (single cap value) in front of the amp driving the X-LS Encores and remove the first octave. Now the speakers never see those long exerstions, the amp sees less current demand, and that will increase its headroom.

Rock Ball

« Reply #8 on: 29 Feb 2020, 02:02 pm »
What value of cap would be used to roll off below 125-150 Hz and how is it connected to the speaker?  I need to do this to my smaller speakers until I get my NX-Tremes built.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2020, 01:19 pm »
What value of cap would be used to roll off below 125-150 Hz and how is it connected to the speaker?  I need to do this to my smaller speakers until I get my NX-Tremes built.

We use a small cap value inline with your amp to roll those lows off. The value needed depends on the input impedance of your amp.