DT1350 Beyerdynamic headphones ....I love new toys!

Wind Chaser

Re: DT1350 Beyerdynamic headphones ....I love new toys!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2014, 10:11 pm »
For any Canadians interested in these, I just bought a pair from NCIX for the equivalent of $170 USD.

When you get a chance, post your opinion. Mine just arrived in the mail and I'm thinking they might need a few hours to open up. Lots of bass and good isolation.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2014, 02:04 am »
Mine are still breaking in, I do remember about an hour in from being new they sounded perfect and then a little bit later got scary kinda crappy. I've been using these everyday for 2-3 hours maybe and they are starting to smooth out now...which is 7-8 days in so do not fret..YET!!!!   Lol.......

I remember when I first got my Virtue amp thinking after day one that I made a huge mistake, by the next day at approx. 24 hours later saying "WOW!!!! I love this thing!!!".
 I still have it and just finished listening to my main rig in fact.....I firmly believe in break in time.....

:lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2014, 02:30 am »
...do not fret..YET!!!!  .....I firmly believe in break in time.....

Not fretting yet, just a little underwhelmed. But to be fair, you're right; gonna wait it out.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2014, 02:47 pm »
My 1350 just totally fell apart today. I was opening the split headband and the spot/button where all the parts come together and connect to the stem that holds the earcup sorta exploded. The silver button looking thing is a silver ring with the middle part/disk that has the rivet kinda looking thing (that's not visible) just failed and the three parts sprang open :slap:....LOL.....my birthday is 26th Wednesday, and these were my present to me.  :violin:
 Amazon has returns/exchanges set up so efficiently that within a matter of minutes a replacement order was placed (due the 27th-OH YEAH!!!)  :banana piano: :drums: :guitar: :rock: :dance:

In my opinion, Amazon rocks...easy peasy, so far so good!!!

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2014, 06:18 pm »
omg LOL

milford3

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2014, 06:48 pm »
Hey Eclein, why were you opening the handband for?  :scratch:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 26 Feb 2014, 06:58 pm »
Well the new replacements are here, burning them in now......... :thankyou:

ajzepp

« Reply #27 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:56 am »

Hope this pair doesn't explode! lol

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 27 Feb 2014, 06:31 am »

How many hours would you say that should take?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2014, 09:51 pm »
I let them play about 4-5 hours yesterday and then started listening last night...........I remember the first pair sounding weird off and on the first few hours so I did some time on them but I've never been able to let a pair play overnight, or a week, I gotta hear them!!!!!!!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #30 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:48 pm »
This is all very bizarre. I've put 40 hours on mine; the clamp is tight and and the bass is good but I have a cheap $30 pair of headphones that sound significantly better to my ears.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2014, 07:13 am »
Wind Chaser I think these puppies are just not for you. You've tried really hard to make them work, sometimes you just have to bail out. Can you get a refund??

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 28 Feb 2014, 11:11 am »
Dale I was talking to Wind Chaser, you understand that right?

ajzepp

« Reply #33 on: 28 Feb 2014, 11:27 am »
 :duh:

Dale I wouldn't really say it's bad news that you didn't like them...if you didn't like them the first time, and didn't like them the second, it was patently obvious that nothing was going to change with the third time.  :wink:

ajzepp

« Reply #34 on: 28 Feb 2014, 01:35 pm »
Neither obvious nor patent. The earpads changed and now (with EQ) the headphone is usable. In fact the DT1350 EQ's better than the T51p, since the worst feature of the 1350 is the 8 db lower mids emphasis, while the 15 db emphasis in the T51p's treble is a screamer and can't be fully compensated - not without creating side effects.

Why in the world would you want a headphone that is "usable"? If I ever found myself describing a headphone as you have with these, "Unfortunately the sound is far worse than the previous 1350, and while EQ will help, it's so far off from neutral the best I can hope for is 'good but not great'. The new sound is very dark, very hollow, and weak in the bass." I wouldn't be able to get rid of them quickly enough!

And these headphones are the exact opposite of "weak in the bass"...I don't know if your head is just a bad match for these or what, but I get plenty of thump and nice clean sub-bass on both my pairs.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #35 on: 28 Feb 2014, 05:08 pm »
Wind Chaser I think these puppies are just not for you. You've tried really hard to make them work, sometimes you just have to bail out. Can you get a refund??

If I could return them, I probably would, but I bought them used. Even though I prefer the sound of my other phones, the Beyers are better in other ways... build quality for sure. The Sony's are pretty wretched in this regard. If I move my head around, that puts strain on the plastic headband which is annoyingly audible, even at moderate volumes. The Beyers are also much smaller, so that can be an advantage.

Another one of the defining differences is they are closed design whereas my other phones open. I guess I am partial to that. But having better acquainted myself with the Beyer's, I have to say I prefer the overall warmer tone of the Sony's. It wouldn't surprise me if someone else much preferred the tone of the Beyers. There's no objectively right or wrong answer here. Just preferences--and there's no accounting for taste.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #36 on: 28 Feb 2014, 07:31 pm »
Hi Dale:

Where are your headphone reviews?

WindChaser:

Guess I'll just have to buy your 1350s like I do with all your other discarded gear.

You should state what model your Sony's are and that they do not retail for $30.00 but were over $100.00 until cleared out at $30.00.

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2014, 11:07 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

ajzepp

« Reply #37 on: 28 Feb 2014, 09:38 pm »
The bass on the pre-refresh has major problems because of the earpad seal (but it may work for some people).

Other than that, when you find the perfect headphone you just let me know.  In the meantime I will fulfill my responsibility to report all of the warts with this headphone (review pending). Other than that, it would just be a chat forum, yes?

EDIT: Click refresh on that EQ curve - I changed 40 hz to zero and 110 hz to minus 3. Good EQ, if there is such a thing, is an iterative process.

EDIT #2: Selecting a headphone isn't just about finding something that sounds arbitrarily good on my favorite music tracks. It's also about the learning and growing process - learning about the various aspects of high fidelity and how it relates to reproducing imperfect music recordings. Then finding a headphone that's usable to achieve whatever goals I may set in that learning process.

I'm not sure you really answered my question, but...carry on!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #38 on: 28 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm »
So, can anyone confirm that there is some indication on the box or otherwise that you are getting the facelift version of the DT1350?
I just emailed Beyerdynamic in NY as to what serial number the facelift version starts at, but it's5:46pm NY time, so I don't expect I'll get a response until Monday.
From all this talk I don't think I want the older version of the 1350!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #39 on: 28 Feb 2014, 10:57 pm »
I just ordered the DT 1350 'Refresh' version, straight cable, from HiFiHeadphones. It will take about 12 days to ship across the pond, and then I'll be able to compare to the originals as well as the T51p version. Although, the T51p headband does not split, and its cable is dual entry.
I wonder why you are buying from HiFiHeadphones in England at £239 or $400 USD when they can be bought for half that here.