Bryston Amps and Power Conditioning

rob80b

Re: Bryston Amps and Power Conditioning
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jun 2018, 02:12 pm »
Living in an older centrally located building in TO which still has a few un-grounded receptacles and probably overly polluted power lines I've occasionally considered getting a proper power conditioner...just not too sure which one...comes down to budget and which components will benefit the most.... probably all.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #41 on: 21 Jun 2018, 02:15 pm »
I think a decent p-cond is a systems-wide upgrade -- as is a good DAC that's fed by lots of players. The Venom 8-outlet may make a budget-sensitive positive improvement, but I haven't tried it.

rob80b

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jun 2018, 02:30 pm »
I think a decent p-cond is a systems-wide upgrade --......

Have to agree...back in the 80s had some Triplite stuff but times have changed...I've seen a few used Bryston Bit 20s which should suffice or even a 15...I'll check out the Venoms.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 21 Jun 2018, 02:38 pm »
Looks enticing...45 days on the block, though   :scratch:
The seller should really show the rear panel close-up.

rob80b

« Reply #46 on: 21 Jun 2018, 03:00 pm »
As an isolation transformer this would be my biggest concern..."The  outlets  they  are  plugged  into should  be  sufficient  to  provide  the current  to  operate  them  without tripping circuit breakers within your junction panel"

The 20 may be overkill, literally and I may not be able to turn my lights on simultaneously....the 15 might be kinder on my fuse box.  :oops:

and I may find one within my budget...
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649432555-bryston-bit-15/

zoom25

« Reply #47 on: 21 Jun 2018, 04:48 pm »
Last time I asked, I think you can still use a BIT 20 on a 15A circuit. It'd be good to get re-clarification from Bryston.

zoom25

« Reply #48 on: 21 Jun 2018, 04:53 pm »
Also, I have continued to use the stock unshielded generic power cables with the Torus. Sounds right to me.

rob80b

« Reply #49 on: 21 Jun 2018, 05:17 pm »
Last time I asked, I think you can still use a BIT 20 on a 15A circuit. It'd be good to get re-clarification from Bryston.

I was exaggerating slightly but I believe I've read somewhere  :scratch: ....that to take advantage of what the Bit 20 fully offers a 20A circuit would be best.
I had the same concerns with my lines when I first acquired a 4BSST.... but it ran fine.... but now that I've rolled back my power to a 3BSST sq a 15 BIT should be more than sufficient even with my center channel and all the associated components.

zoom25

« Reply #50 on: 21 Jun 2018, 05:37 pm »
Yes, you need a 20A circuit to take full advantage of BIT20. In my case, I was thinking of getting a BIT20 to run my desktop 15A circuit for a bit of time and then to move the BIT20 to a dedicated 20A circuit later on in the main room. I wanted to know if it was safe to use the BIT20 temporarily on a 15A circuit. I ended up with a BIT15 for the 15A circuit.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 26 Jun 2018, 10:29 am »
...I'll check out the Venoms.

rob, have you seen this site and review?

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/shunyata/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #52 on: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55 am »
Yes, you need a 20A circuit to take full advantage of BIT20. In my case, I was thinking of getting a BIT20 to run my desktop 15A circuit for a bit of time and then to move the BIT20 to a dedicated 20A circuit later on in the main room. I wanted to know if it was safe to use the BIT20 temporarily on a 15A circuit. I ended up with a BIT15 for the 15A circuit.

Hi Zoom

Yes using the BIT 20 on a 15 amp circuit is what I recommend for a number of reasons.

James

rob80b

« Reply #53 on: 26 Jun 2018, 03:49 pm »
rob, have you seen this site and review?

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/shunyata/

No I haven't ..at least his set up looks more like a snake den....

...than my rats nest.  :oops:...one day when I have some time though.......

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #54 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:19 pm »
all those criss-crossing cords can't be good for SQ. Magnetic fields, wire as antennae, etc etc
ymmv as always.

rob80b

« Reply #55 on: 26 Jun 2018, 04:29 pm »
all those criss-crossing cords can't be good for SQ. Magnetic fields, wire as antennae, etc etc
ymmv as always.

Wouldn't have been able to to that years ago without undesirable consequences...thank god for shielding.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2018, 05:37 pm by rob80b »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #56 on: 29 Jun 2018, 02:16 pm »
You can't plug a 20A component into a 15A circuit, the plug won't fit.
But anyway a 15A circuit will provide all the current most hi-fi setups require. Large Class "A" amps and large home theaters would be the exceptions.
A 15A circuit will provide upwards of 150 Amps for a large fraction of a second! Hi-fi amps don't draw the high continuous current that trips breakers.

zoom25

« Reply #57 on: 29 Jun 2018, 04:19 pm »
You can't plug a 20A component into a 15A circuit, the plug won't fit.
But anyway a 15A circuit will provide all the current most hi-fi setups require. Large Class "A" amps and large home theaters would be the exceptions.
A 15A circuit will provide upwards of 150 Amps for a large fraction of a second! Hi-fi amps don't draw the high continuous current that trips breakers.

Hi, I remember reading that there was an adapter cable required to make it work.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jun 2018, 04:41 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #59 on: 29 Jun 2018, 06:16 pm »
Hi

Yes we have power cables with the correct plugs on both ends.

james