Electrostatic headphone amps any opinions?

seadogs1

Electrostatic headphone amps any opinions?
« on: 19 Feb 2016, 12:08 am »
 :scratch: :scratch: any opinions on the Woo WES, the Headamp Blue Hawaii SE, the Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2T or any others?

dB Cooper

Re: Electrostatic headphone amps any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2016, 08:03 am »
I've only heard the Blue Hawaii (with the Stax SR009) but that was some of the best, maybe THE best, headphone sound I have ever heard.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2016, 12:06 am »
I have no experience with them, but I know on head-fi the Blue Hawaii is always the one people rave about.

L1C4

• NOTORiOUS!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2016, 07:35 am »
Bottlehead Paramounts... I think they would be a great affordable solution compared to some alternatives.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2016, 10:06 pm »
Bottlehead Paramounts... I think they would be a great affordable solution compared to some alternatives.

But that's just a power amp (and likely can't swing high enough anyways). You still need something to provide the bias voltage.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2016, 10:20 pm »
I have a Stax SRM-007TA, which sounds great with the Stax SR 507 phones.  It needs a step down transformer, but they are not expensive.  The amp's performance is improved when changing out the Russian 6FQ7's with NOS tubes.

seadogs1

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2016, 12:40 am »
Free-1, What boat were you on? I was on the James Monroe SSBN622.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2016, 01:53 am »
Ah, you were on a boomer!   I was on SS243,  SS377 and SS394.
Hibuck...

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2016, 10:04 am »
I've listened to the Blue Hawaii, I don't remember which Stax headphone. What I heard was really nice, just realistic, not "blow you away" anything. You can still find the schematic online (possibly an earlier version) for anyone sufficiently motivated DIY-wise.

kp7

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2018, 01:50 pm »
a bit pricey

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2018, 10:14 pm »
I've got a KGSS-HV ESL amp driving a pair of SR-007 MK2.  I really like the sound of the combo.  The KGSS-HV is very well built and is very reliable.

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2018, 10:30 pm »
:scratch: :scratch: any opinions on the Woo WES, the Headamp Blue Hawaii SE, the Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2T or any others?

By 2T, if you mean Stax T2,  that's what I would take myself given the choice.  Of course, the modern DIY version costs $$$$/time to build and even more $$$$$$ to buy one from builder/owner. 
Blue Hawaii SE is much less expensive but still $$$. 
Don't forget the Sennheiser electrostats and amps, but those are rare and $$$ also.  See the pattern here..?
As far as Woo, Cavalli, I recommend some serious googling before putting down $.