World Cup 2018

dig_a_pony

Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:29 am »
I was rooting for Iceland, pity that they're already leaving. I'm not a big fan but it was fun to see unexpected outcomes in many games, kind of a shout out for all the teams to do their best every single game

Emil

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2018, 12:04 pm »
I was rooting for Iceland, pity that they're already leaving. I'm not a big fan but it was fun to see unexpected outcomes in many games, kind of a shout out for all the teams to do their best every single game

Head coach is also a dentist :lol:
Interesting article on the team
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2018/06/10/in-iceland-world-cup-players-arent-gods-theyre-neighbors/?utm_term=.a384832c13af

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2018, 01:10 pm »
Even as a guy that does not follow the sport, that goal by Messi was mesmerizing.  What a beautiful couple of touches on the run and then fading off the shot.  Wow!

Mudslide

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2018, 04:33 pm »
Even as a guy that does not follow the sport, that goal by Messi was mesmerizing.  What a beautiful couple of touches on the run and then fading off the shot.  Wow!

'Twas a thing of beauty!  But, without seeing any replays, he sure looked off-sides to me.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jun 2018, 08:59 pm »
Germany is out! The biggest sensation of the cup so far ...

JoshK

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:10 pm »
Commentator - "This will be the first time that Germany are knocked out of the group stage since 1938"

Other commentator - "And we know how the Germans reacted to that."

Officially the second most humiliating German retreat from Russia.

Seriously though, I am a big German football supporter (Bayern Munich for a club), but they deserved to loose.   Out of the 3 games, the only half-way decent half was the 2nd half against Sweden when Kroos scored one of the best free kicks I've seen in a while.  I will happily route for Mexico (rep' Concacaf), Croatia (my dark horse) or mildly Belgium & Colombia.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2018, 09:25 pm »
Agreed that they deserve the elimination as it was just a shadow of the team that won the world cup 4 years ago.
Hope that the second biggest sensation will be on Sunday when Russia beats Spain  :D

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jun 2018, 08:34 am »
@#%$#^*%$(&^%)^^*&)$^&#$^&$%&*^(&+)(&*&%$^%#%^&$&*)^)(&)(+&*%$^&#$^%&$&*^_+)(&

Emil

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2018, 11:15 am »
@#%$#^*%$(&^%)^^*&)$^&#$^&$%&*^(&+)(&*&%$^%#%^&$&*)^)(&)(+&*%$^&#$^%&$&*^_+)(&

Not exactly sure what this means but I would dare to guess Klaus is not happy with Germany losing :D

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2018, 12:45 pm »
Not exactly sure what this means but I would dare to guess Klaus is not happy with Germany losing :D
Astute speculation. But considering that nearly everything else in the news is upside down, demonstrably false or indefensible, I'm able to absorb the hierarchical inversion of World Cup expectations rather easily. This too shall pass, Klaus. At least you have the comfort of disappointment. Most of us have never had a sniff of the trophy and cannot foresee a time when we might.

dig_a_pony

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2018, 03:57 pm »
Head coach is also a dentist :lol:
Interesting article on the team
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2018/06/10/in-iceland-world-cup-players-arent-gods-theyre-neighbors/?utm_term=.a384832c13af
yeah that's what I like about them! they are normal people who love the game and can play well

Art_Chicago

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2018, 06:10 pm »
Japan is in and Senegal is out because of the number of the yellow cards... Man, this world cup RULES!

Art_Chicago

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jul 2018, 01:54 am »

Hope that the second biggest sensation will be on Sunday when Russia beats Spain  :D

:smoke: :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 2 Jul 2018, 08:52 am »
I think I'm seeing how Russia will win the World Cup. They plan to reduce scoring by the opposition by knocking them down, tripping them, taking them out by any means necessary if they are in position to score. In the games I've seen, Russia cannot get called for fouls in the box. They intend to win the whole thing on penalty kicks.
In yesterday's game against Spain even the goal scored accidentally by Espana, the Spanish player was tackled on the goal line as the feed was headed his way. The score came from a ricochet off the Russian tackler's leg, making it an own goal. Spain never put a ball in the net. Expect shutouts from Russia henceforth. Their strategy seems to be to win it all on penalty kicks.
How do you suppose they manage to draw refs who look the other way?

Emil

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jul 2018, 12:39 pm »
I think I'm seeing how Russia will win the World Cup. They plan to reduce scoring by the opposition by knocking them down, tripping them, taking them out by any means necessary if they are in position to score. In the games I've seen, Russia cannot get called for fouls in the box. They intend to win the whole thing on penalty kicks.
In yesterday's game against Spain even the goal scored accidentally by Espana, the Spanish player was tackled on the goal line as the feed was headed his way. The score came from a ricochet off the Russian tackler's leg, making it an own goal. Spain never put a ball in the net. Expect shutouts from Russia henceforth. Their strategy seems to be to win it all on penalty kicks.
How do you suppose they manage to draw refs who look the other way?

I noticed that also. The last one was even reviewed. Spanish player was obviously pulled down.

Must be some sort of collusion going on  between Russia and the refs :lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #35 on: 2 Jul 2018, 01:01 pm »
I noticed that also. The last one was even reviewed. Spanish player was obviously pulled down.

Everyone in Russia knows you either satisfy Vlad or die trying.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #36 on: 2 Jul 2018, 03:25 pm »

I guess I was watching a different game... Anyone who is familiar with Sergio Ramos&Co knows the quality of acting and diving they can demonstrate.   They grab the shirt, they hug and then they go down as the ball is approaching.  Glad that video review showed that and no faults on the defensive side.

Spain has not created enough chances, and De Gea did not stop at least 2 savable PKs. 

Hope that Russia-Croatia game will be a better game to watch. After all, these are 2nd and 3rd most scoring teams of the cup so far.

charmerci

« Reply #37 on: 2 Jul 2018, 03:37 pm »
It's looking like the real final will be France-Brazil. Whoever wins that will win the Cup in the next game.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #38 on: 2 Jul 2018, 04:14 pm »
It's looking like the real final will be France-Brazil. Whoever wins that will win the Cup in the next game.

true if Brazil can beat Belgium, which is a very balanced team this year

Unfortunately, the top 4 teams of the tournament ( Uruguay, France, Brazil and Belgium) are on the same side of the bracket. It gives a good chance for England or Croatia to make the final.

charmerci

« Reply #39 on: 2 Jul 2018, 05:03 pm »
I didn't know that Uru and Belgium were that good.