World Cup 2014

Cacophonix

Re: World Cup 2014
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:25 pm »
Robben was clearly play acting there. From the slo-mo, we can see the mexican defender's foot *just* clip Robben a *wee* bit. But Robben went down like a heap of sack attracting the penalty. Clearly overly harsh. Mexico should've been through this round.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:41 pm »
Re: Ned/Mex game: Penalty kick.

Opinions will vary, but even ESPN's fairly biased announcers eventually agreed that there was definite contact and the call was correct.

ADDED - Oh, and w/o the penalty kick, it was still 1-1 headed for extra time - anybody's game

Ron D

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:43 pm »
One would think given the Ref's placement he got a good look at it and at the end of injury time you typically really have to have a quite obvious infraction to get awarded a penalty kick. I think it should have gone to extra time but the boys in Orange had a better second half and might have still pulled it off given their momentum. I think Mexico fielded a strong team and would have liked to see them advance.

RDavidson

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:56 pm »
I would've liked to see Mexico advance also.
But, I agree with others that the ref made the correct call regardless of the extra flopping. The player was just ensuring he got the call, by making it super obvious.
It's unfortunate that such a critical play/call happened with so little time left in regulation, but that's the nature of the sport (and many other sports).

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jun 2014, 07:16 pm »
Also didn't like to see Holland win by a penalty kick, but they were more fit as the end progressed, more opportunities on goal, and ultimately even without the penalty kick I think they would have come ahead in what was left of over time or in the sudden death round. Still a very impressive effort by Mexico.  Going into the World Cup I wouldn't have expected them to get this far - they have been underwhelming for many prior World Cups. 

US VS Belgium : have not watched any of the Belgium games, so don't know how strong they are.  Here's still hoping that if they can come so close w/ Germany that they have what it takes to pull out a win vs Belgium.  Argentina : if it wasn't for Messi, they could very likely been out.  Sorta of tired of "one hero" teams like Argentina / Portugal, and possibly even Brazil.  Brazil BARELY squeezed by.  I could see Colombia closing the door on their lucky streak at the next game.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 29 Jun 2014, 07:35 pm »
As one announcer pointed out, Robben was already on the way down when contact was made. Given the circumstances, it was a ridiculous giveaway.

And as for speculating about who will win ensuing games, don't bother to guess. Only Sepp Blatter and his well trained officials know that answer.

RDavidson

« Reply #46 on: 29 Jun 2014, 09:19 pm »
As one announcer pointed out, Robben was already on the way down when contact was made. Given the circumstances, it was a ridiculous giveaway.

And as for speculating about who will win ensuing games, don't bother to guess. Only Sepp Blatter and his well trained officials know that answer.

I'm not certain he was on his way down. He was making a quick move forward (trying to steer his body back in-bounds) and his body was in a natural forward position. Hard to say. I'd have to watch the replay more than I really care too. What I think we all can agree on was regardless of whether Robben was going down or not, there was definitely leg contact and the Mexico player's leg was in the path of Robben's trajectory. I still have to agree with the ref's judgement call here. It's not like it was an obvious "fake flop" where virtually zero contact was made......as we've all witnessed countless times, where you'd think the player has a career ending injury to his knee after the opposing player crop dusted nearby. :lol:

charmerci

« Reply #47 on: 30 Jun 2014, 05:15 pm »

Mag

« Reply #48 on: 1 Jul 2014, 08:29 pm »
Belgium is taking it to the US, two scoring chances already early in the game.

How the US got this far in the tournament. :dunno:

Cacophonix

« Reply #49 on: 1 Jul 2014, 09:25 pm »
watching this at the office .... Belgium is all over the US. Completely outplaying them.

stlrman

« Reply #50 on: 1 Jul 2014, 09:39 pm »
Outstanding goalkeeping !!! :thumb:
Go us

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #51 on: 1 Jul 2014, 09:57 pm »
Outstanding goalkeeping !!! :thumb:
Go us

Damn straight - Howard deserves a medal!

Way to blow that goal opportunity in the last minute.  Hope USA comes back rested enough to make a real attempt at attacking / winning.

Cacophonix

« Reply #52 on: 1 Jul 2014, 10:01 pm »
It'd have been a miracle had US scored that goal in the last minute. 2 strikers, no defenders and just a goalie to beat.

Mag

« Reply #53 on: 1 Jul 2014, 10:38 pm »
USA is going home!

Thanks for showing up in the last 10 minutes of overtime. :thumb:

jackman

« Reply #54 on: 1 Jul 2014, 10:50 pm »
First, I'll admit that I only watch soccer every four years, during the World Cup.  It's kind of fun but this US team (with the exception of the goalie Howard) totally sucked.  They made it to the quarters but only won one game in the tournament against a fourth world country, Ghana.  Today's game sucked and I hope the American players and their useless coach stay in Brazil.  Maybe they can go live in a Favella or whatever they call those miserable, crime ridden slums that surround the cities.  Don't come home!   :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #55 on: 1 Jul 2014, 11:55 pm »
US played in an uphill battle against 4 of the best teams in the entire tournament and was not embarrassed by any of them. The fact that they were able to resist the onslaught of offense by the best team I have seen so far for a full 90+ minutes, says a lot about their courage and stamina. As you so eloquently indicated, they were very inferior in terms of skill. They had to do this without their best defender, Kyle Breckerman and one of their two strikers, Jozy Altidore. Nonetheless, they played their hearts out and acquitted themselves nicely.
What did you do this month? Why are you heaping on the hate? Surely you can understand that they wanted this win much more than you did. These guys are heroes in my eyes.

stlrman

« Reply #56 on: 2 Jul 2014, 12:23 am »
Booo Jackman, :o
The US showed a ton of heart throughout the game. Yeah they were out classed by a better team with more talent, but they played their hearts out in OT., and nearly tied it a few times.
 I have to agree that this was a success for the US team big time. They also played very well against Germany and Portugal.
Don't hate, be proud , I am!
Also Jackman, your Favela comment was ignorant and insensitive !

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #57 on: 2 Jul 2014, 12:54 am »
US played in an uphill battle against 4 of the best teams in the entire tournament and was not embarrassed by any of them. The fact that they were able to resist the onslaught of offense by the best team I have seen so far for a full 90+ minutes, says a lot about their courage and stamina. As you so eloquently indicated, they were very inferior in terms of skill. They had to do this without their best defender, Kyle Breckerman and one of their two strikers, Jozy Altidore. Nonetheless, they played their hearts out and acquitted themselves nicely.
What did you do this month? Why are you heaping on the hate? Surely you can understand that they wanted this win much more than you did. These guys are heroes in my eyes.

Very well stated. I'm proud of our Team.

Bemopti123

« Reply #58 on: 2 Jul 2014, 12:57 am »
I do not know if the US team was outclassed or not by the Belgian team but one thing that I do notice is the amount of goals that the Howard, the goalkeeper kept at bay.  An NPR comment said that he stopped 30 shots to the arch, meaning, 2 out of 30, excellent stats.  I just do not think that the Belgians were all that strong and so far what I have noticed about most of the teams that advanced, they were not incredibly better, simply that they were able to complete a couple of passes in the time that was given to them and the teams that lost, simply they were unable to score at the same rate. 

The best game I have seen all along was the Algeria vs Germany.....The Algerians really proved their tenacity continuously countering the air superiority that the Germans are known for. 

The US as an overall team, they were fine but to no standards a cut about the Belgian team.  And no, the US team and the coach should not stay in a favela.   :thumb:

rooze

« Reply #59 on: 2 Jul 2014, 12:58 am »
First, I'll admit that I only watch soccer every four years, during the World Cup.  It's kind of fun but this US team (with the exception of the goalie Howard) totally sucked.  They made it to the quarters but only won one game in the tournament against a fourth world country, Ghana.  Today's game sucked and I hope the American players and their useless coach stay in Brazil.  Maybe they can go live in a Favella or whatever they call those miserable, crime ridden slums that surround the cities.  Don't come home!   :thumb:

WOW!

What a horrible take on things.