Boxing Rios-Alvarado

django11

• Canuckistani
Boxing Rios-Alvarado
« on: 13 Oct 2012, 07:12 pm »
Rios vs Alvarado.  On paper this is fight of the year.  I will be watching on HBO.

Anyone who didn't see Donovan "Da bomb" George vs Adonis "Superman" Stevenson might want to.  Pretty entertaining.  The winner is the mandatory for Froch.  On the same card you might want to check out Eleider Alvarez, it is a short fight.  I'm not sure what to make of Alvarez yet...

http://sweetboxingvideos.wordpress.com/

jimdgoulding

Re: Boxing Rios-Alvarado
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2012, 10:34 pm »
Rios vs Alvarado.  On paper this is fight of the year.  I will be watching on HBO.

Anyone who didn't see Donovan "Da bomb" George vs Adonis "Superman" Stevenson might want to.  Pretty entertaining.  The winner is the mandatory for Froch.  On the same card you might want to check out Eleider Alvarez, it is a short fight.  I'm not sure what to make of Alvarez yet...

http://sweetboxingvideos.wordpress.com/
Is Rios/Alvarado a pay for view?

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2012, 11:41 pm »
Is Rios/Alvarado a pay for view?

No. HBO Boxing After Dark.

Also features Donaire against Noshioka.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2012, 12:37 am »
Thanks, Dj.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2012, 01:57 am »
HBO-E @ 10:00pm est

HBO-W @ 1:00 pm est

Got too much going on to watch it live (alternative folk group Bon Iver Live on PBS @ 10:00 also) so I'll catch HBO's 1 am west coast feed of the fight card myself.  :duel:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2012, 02:29 am »
That sounds like a plan.  It's what I believe I'll do myself.  I'm engrossed in listening to music presently and for the next couple hours, you know.

no1maestro

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2012, 02:50 am »

Well Rios did it. I got tired just watching it. Non-stop slugging; I was afraid to blink. Can't believe the nexty fight could match it punch for punch!

well
rios did it

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2012, 01:58 pm »

Well Rios did it. I got tired just watching it. Non-stop slugging; I was afraid to blink. Can't believe the nexty fight could match it punch for punch!

"Bam Bam" couldn't be a better nickname for Rios. He is nuts. He seems to have fun doing that  :duh:

Donaire put on another performance.  World class fighters fight him showing fear.  That is something...

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2012, 03:33 pm »
I am a big fan of Donaire.  Looking forward to seeing a replay of both fights.  We had a houseful of family and friends last night and no time to watch sports.   Sounds like I missed some good action.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2012, 01:59 am »
I am a big fan of Donaire.  Looking forward to seeing a replay of both fights.  We had a houseful of family and friends last night and no time to watch sports.   Sounds like I missed some good action.

Well after watching the 1st fight, the Donaire fight was, for a lack of a better word, lackluster. The crowd was booing early but after the Rio fight, it's really quite understandable. If I had watched the Donaire fight 1st, I think me & the crowd would have enjoyed it more as it wasn't that bad of a fight. The crowd had just gotten totally wound up by an action packed, toe-to-toe brawl with 2 fighters that refused to back down. You just don't get fights like that one all too aften and it lived up to it's promoted expectations. Someone's 0 has got to go! I love them kinda fights.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:57 am »
In the Rios Alvarado fight they threw 1300 punches in 6 and 1/2 rounds :o.

Donaire Toshioka was fought on a much higher level.  As Donaire said the first guy to make a mistake was out of there so they were very tentative.  I have noticed that American crowds at big venues tend to be very impatient and get into booing very quickly. A lot of the time when they do this I have to think that they don't understand what they are seeing. I could understand them booing if the Rios fight looked like the Donaire fight.  Nobody was expecting Donaire Toshiaka to be a slug fest.  That one was a chess match...  I find the booing at Donaire Toshiaka type fights very disrespectful.

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2012, 02:12 pm »
I haven't seen either fight but I agree with your assessment regarding action and fan reaction. Sometimes fights that are more tactical are not as fan friendly but I appreciate them.  I also like to watch slug fears but its relatively rare to see closely matched technical boxers in a slug fest. Donaire is a great fighter and I usually enjoy his fights.   

This is what makes Manny's fights so popular. He is a sound technical fighter who often slugs with his opponents.  The Bradley fight was an exception, but he easily won it...despite te official robbery decision.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2012, 11:27 pm »
Jackman, ever find a way to see a replay?  I haven't.  Help a dude out?  Thanks.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2012, 11:51 pm »

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2012, 12:04 am »
Yes, it's hard to compare the two fights.  The first one, Rios-Alvarado featured two tough guys who came to fight.  They gave it everything they had and gave the fans a very good show.   Both guys were tough but Rios was a bigger puncher.  Like they say, styles make fights and two game guys who are willing to slug it out make some of the best fights. 

The Donare fight featured one guy who came to fight, Nonito Donare.  The Japanese guy he fought was just trying to "not lose" for most of the fight.  He was not aggressive until later and he was knocked out for his efforts.  He was never really in the fight and appeared to know it.  Donare is a tough guy and he was the aggressor for the whole fight.   It was admittedly not as entertaining as the first fight but I can blame Nonito.  He did everything possible to make it an"fight" but, as they say, it takes two to tango.  His dance partner was unwilling and unable to give Donare any competition.

I walked away with respect for Rios and Alvarado and continued admiration for Nonito Donare, IMO the best pound for pound fighter in the game or at least top five.  He's a tough little guy with excellent footwork, hand speed and power.   I'd like to see him with a better competitor but I'm not sure anyone in his weightclass is up to the task.  He'll fight anyone and I hope he gets more recognition because he's a pleasure to watch.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2012, 12:13 pm by jackman »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #15 on: 27 Oct 2012, 06:03 pm »
Both fights here, about 1/3 down the page.  http://sweetboxingvideos.wordpress.com/category/2012%E2%80%B2s-best-male-fights/
Thanks, Dj.  Man, what a fight!  Rios surprised me.  Just when you thought he was outmatched and bingo.  These kind of fights scare me.  Taking all those shots may be doing some lifetime damage. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2012, 04:09 am »
Neither guy has the kind of style that usually makes for a long career

jimdgoulding

« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2012, 05:37 am »
Neither guy has the kind of style that usually makes for a long career
And a worse post-career. 

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2012, 01:42 pm »
They had an interesting documentary on HBO before the boxing last night.  Called "Chinese Heavyweight".  I really enjoyed it.