Experience with Audio Aero Prima CDP or MW Sony 9000ES Signature Mod players?

Big Red Machine

I would like to pick up a CDP and keep it in the $500 range as it will not get much use when setting next to the SB.  But if I am going to purchase, this time I want it to have a good analog section as I will probably use it as a standalone versus going to an outboard DAC.

Looking at used units and I would really like a unit with digital inputs to have options to use its internal DAC someday, but not a hard requirement.

The two units mentioned here are approx same pricing when perusing Agon.  The Aero is tube output stage and the 9000 is not a tubed mod but looks very enticing.

The unit MUST play CD-R's.  And all Sony's I have ever had did not, so not sure on this unit.

toobluvr

Can't comment on the Sony, but I owned the AA Prima II.

Sound was refined, relaxed and lovely, but still lots of grunt, speed and detail.  My bias is towards tubed players for their warmth, refinement and ease, and overall the way they tend to ameliorate digititus better than SS...at least at this price point.

Similar sound to the other tubed players I own:  Cary 308t and Metronome CD2v Sig.  So if you know these, you know the AA Prima.   All so similar to me in their analog like delivery, that it was difficult to choose the sell victim.  I decided to sell the Prima mainly because the tubes were soldered into the socket.  Who needs that hassle when it's time to replace them?

Don't know that you will get one for $500.  I see version 2 in the 600 to 700 range.  Version 3 is around $1000 to $1200.

Good luck!

Big Red Machine

Thanks.

Anyone else have input?

How about CDP's with digital IN to be able to tap into the internal DAC?

rydenfan

You may get more responses by posting this in the Source to the Ear Circle rather than The Starting Block.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
You may get more responses by posting this in the Source to the Ear Circle rather than The Starting Block.

Well....lets give it a shot in the Source to the Ear circle...
Switching you over Pete.... :thumb:

guest1632

I would like to pick up a CDP and keep it in the $500 range as it will not get much use when setting next to the SB.  But if I am going to purchase, this time I want it to have a good analog section as I will probably use it as a standalone versus going to an outboard DAC.

Looking at used units and I would really like a unit with digital inputs to have options to use its internal DAC someday, but not a hard requirement.

The two units mentioned here are approx same pricing when perusing Agon.  The Aero is tube output stage and the 9000 is not a tubed mod but looks very enticing.

The unit MUST play CD-R's.  And all Sony's I have ever had did not, so not sure on this unit.

Hi, I know this is slightly outside the price range, but why not try the new Cambridge 650C CDPlayer for 700, from Audio Advisor. It just came out.

Ray Bronk

Big Red Machine

I hear alot of bad things about CAmbridge as far as sterile sound goes.  Plus too much moola right now.  Thanks and I'll look at it in the new catalog for grins.

toobluvr

One of the best sub $1000 cdp that I have ever heard is the Opera Consonance cd 120 linear.  I own it.  Check out the glowing reviews.  Its used price is right where you wanna spend, and for the $$ I think it's killer.

But it only has analog and digital outputs.....no digital inputs.

I also owned the more expensive and tubed Consonance 2.2 Reference.  I actually prefer the 120 Linear, and sold the 2.2.   Believe it or not (I know I didn't) this SS player actually sounds more relaxed, smooth, involving and well, yes...."toobey"....... than the 2.2 Ref.  It is a well-balanced player that has a very pleasing and easy to listen too presentation, while still maintaining good dynamics and detail.

I am in a "cleaning out the closet and pare down the gear" mode.  Shoot me a PM if you might be interested. 

~John

PS:  Lest you think I made the above positive comments on the player cause I am selling it....I did not.  Check some of my posts from months ago....I said the same things about it.

Big Red Machine

Is it a NOS configuration?  I thought I remember it to be that and I haven't had much luck with them although the Audio Sector dac is doing very well so far.

I might be interested in it.

toobluvr

It is indeed non-oversampling.

details here:

http://www.ultravioletaudio.com/products.htm

I pretty much concur with these reviews:

http://www.stereotimes.com/cd051506.shtml

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/opera_cd120_e.html

Read the "conclusion" section here for an interesting comparison / contrast of the two Consonance players:

http://www.stereotimes.com/CD010707.shtml