Longtime Audiophile - New Member Here

NeilBlanchard

Longtime Audiophile - New Member Here
« on: 17 Sep 2020, 03:58 pm »
Hi folks,

I was very lucky to find a pair of amazing speakers, the Linaeum LT1000 on eBay for $400 for the pair, at a pawnshop in Danbury CT - right before the pandemic. The star of these speakers is the TLS tweeter - 6" high monopole driver that covers 440Hz on up. This driver is a masterpiece - and I hope that Paul Paddock, who designed it, will sell his current generation (with 40 years of development) in an updated tower speaker, based on the TL1000.

The stock 8" woofer was a Vifa, and it is in a simple transmission line cabinet. I have replaced it with a Dayton Audio unit, that has an additional 0.1 gram moving mass and a magnet structure that is at least 2X as powerful - so it was a big improvement.

The other huge improvement I have made, is something that may be controversial - and I was a huge skeptic - until I heard it. I am using a miniDSP 2x4HD as an active crossover, and made custom DSP filters for each driver, and for the system. It was amazing speaker in its stock form - and it is a revelation now!

Bass is quick and very clean, and extends to the mid 30's. Midrange and highs are better than *any* speaker I have ever heard, in my nearly 60 years. Horizontal dispersion is better than anything I can remember. I was able to get a virtually perfect mild "house" curve - +1dB / octave below 200Hz, nearly flat from 200Hz to 1kHz, and a 0.5db / octave rolloff up to 20kHz. Here's the REW measurement from 3' on the listening axis (speakers are straight ahead):

I used REW to measure it, and make the DSP filters for the miniDSP 2x4HD. The waterfall graph is the cleanest that I have ever seen - everything 500Hz and up is essentially a totally consistent and smooth cascade. There are a few distributed resonances below 500Hz. Here is that waterfall graph:

Here is the modified Linaeum LT1000 speaker:

The rest of my system is doing these speakers proud: Linn Axis with Dynavector cartridge, Schiit Audio Bifrost 2, Audible Illusions Modulus 2C, miniDSP 2x4HD, Schiit Vidar driving the Dayton woofers, and my old B&K ST140 driving the Linaeum TLS (true line source) tweeters. Oh, and I have a VPI 16.5 record vacuum.

« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2020, 05:56 pm by NeilBlanchard »

Blackmore

Re: Longtime Audiophile - New Member Here
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2020, 05:37 pm »
Welcome to Audiocircle

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2020, 06:02 pm »
Welcome!

NeilBlanchard

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2020, 06:03 pm »
Thanks! I am happy to be here.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2020, 08:28 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Neil   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:14 pm »
Welcome  :thumb: