Great Articles about the Audio Hobby

roscoeiii

Great Articles about the Audio Hobby
« on: 23 Jul 2012, 04:24 am »
Hi folks,

I have come across a few great articles about the audio hobby and how we listen to music, and thought that we should start a thread that collects these truly great and important articles for those who are new to the hobby. I am thinking not about technical articles of the sort that are appropriate for the Lab Circle. But instead, I am thinking more of thoughtful treatments about listening to music and the role that equipment plays in our enjoyment to the music. As well as laying out the various positions that different listeners and reviewers take toward audio. Maybe those articles that lay out the terrain of the audio world and those articles that we find particularly thought provoking. Anyways, this seemed like the most appropriate circle for this, even though these articles may be of great interest for ACers who may be far from beginners in this hobby and even though some of the content of these articles may be a bit above the heads of folks just starting out. 

roscoeiii

Re: Great Articles about the Audio Hobby
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2012, 04:25 am »
Getting started (with a long one):

http://www.stereophile.com/features/203/index.html

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2012, 12:25 am »
A fascinating article that offers an alternative approach to evaluating equipment:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0601/audiohell.htm

The route to AUDIO HEAVEN, claim the authors...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2012, 05:32 am »

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2012, 05:44 am »
Great piece laying out amp design.  :thumb:

hilde45

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2020, 02:37 am »
Great resources, here. I'd love it if some of the knowledge of the audiophile community could filter out to a bunch of my local restaurants, who are so loud that I cannot hear the others at my own table. They need a crash course in sound-dampening!

herbtwocrows

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2020, 09:07 pm »
This thread has been idle for almost 8 years, until the previous post. however, just this afternoon I was explaining to my son about amplifier classes and just saw the Harley article referenced here. Its explanation is far better than mine. If you come to this thread and are at all interested in the tech, I highly recommend this article.

reverberate

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2021, 08:22 pm »
A Philosopher Looks At the Audiophile Hobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWPSYLFxuPo&ab_channel=DH

interesting way to frame the issues we all face

Lemak91

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2022, 01:29 pm »
These are great, thanks for sharing!

orrman

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2022, 12:28 am »
Thanks for sharing!

Moby

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2023, 04:45 am »
Here are my top 5:

"The End of High Fidelity" by Michael Fremer - explores the ways in which the rise of digital music and streaming services has impacted the traditional audiophile pursuit of high-fidelity sound.

"The Absolute Sound" by Wes Phillips - an exploration of what it means to be an audiophile, from the pursuit of sonic perfection to the communal aspects of the hobby.

"How to Listen to Music: A Beginner's Guide" by Alex Ross - Cultivate a more discerning ear.

"The Audiophile System Builder: Part One" by Steve Guttenberg - This is a "read-me-first" type of article series

"The High-End's Ultimate Challenge" by Robert Harley - The artistic considerations that go into achieving sonic perfection.

bleaston

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2023, 03:17 am »
Hi, bleaston here. I plan to read the audio heaven piece. I like where it was going.

I have two paradigm titans bought 1998, always pleasant and just re-foamed by me. I have a NAD 3045 on its way. I will be able to stream highest resolution by wire. Will also experiment with CDs. The room is like 10 by 12 or 9 by 11, everything hard surfaces. using them as true bookshelf speakers, one on a wooden drawer, the other on a sturdy wire-metal shelf, both about a foot from the wall. I have never owned an almost-audiophile level receiver, dedicated to stereo. I had a Yamaha RXV793 driving the Titans as surrounds. Not to be the lonely hearts club, but I want the music to feel like a companion. Low volume, integrated with the day. I will be playing mostly from Tidal, 1001 Albums Before You Die - stuff I know mixed with stuff that is different.

My other project is with the Paradigm CC-150, 1999, just re-foamed by me, sounding good. I am trying to use it as a soundbar - aka the only speaker producing the audio while watching streaming. When I re-foamed it I thought two mid-range speakers and a tweeter should be able to carry the load of TV audio. It's attached to a little Fosi-BA20 bluetooth amp (using 1 of the 2 stereo channels). The results are what would be expected - works great for Jeopardy (all dialogue), miserable for Batman. So...I am looking at a unit (5.1 or 7.1) that would be able to pull out dialogue best on that center channel. I want to see how much I can accomplish with the CC150. My current target is the Marantz nr1510 - 5-channel discrete power amplifier, 50W per channel (8-ohm, 20Hz – 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Ch. drive). The room is again about 10 by 12, and I am competing with the fan of the projector, so distinction/clarity with a little power will be needed. Is 50W going to do it?

I do have a pair of Paradigm Mini-Monitors and Paradigm 10 inch woofer, to eventually supplement or complete a system, but I am going about this systematically. I live on a top floor, so I am playing around in the mid/high ranges for now.

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2023, 10:50 am »
A fascinating article that offers an alternative approach to evaluating equipment:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0601/audiohell.htm

The route to AUDIO HEAVEN, claim the authors...

For those who don't want to read the whole thing, this is the most important statement:

It is our contention that, while nothing in the recording or playback chain is accurate, accuracy is the only worthwhile objective; for when playback is as accurate as possible, the chances for maximum recovery of the recorded program is greatest; and when we have as much of that recording to hand – or to ear – then we have the greatest chance for an intimate experience with the recorded performance.

I agree. All of those flowery audiophile terms boil down to one thing we're all searching for -- accuracy because the more accurate the sound, the greater your emotional attachment to the music. Just thought I'd state the obvious.