Used M3 Triode Masters or new M5 Sapphire??

VonHess

Used M3 Triode Masters or new M5 Sapphire??
« on: 14 Nov 2019, 03:23 am »
TMs a little bit less expensive.  Are the M5 Sapphires worth the extra money?  If so, why?

SnowPuppy77

Re: Used M3 Triode Masters or new M5 Sapphire??
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:32 pm »
Not a slam dunk decision.  Would depend on budgets and room.  I have only heard the M3TM and the M3 Sapphires so I have to speculate on the M5.  But for my personal situation I would choose the M5 for a "little bit" more money. Here is why:

+ I like the M3 Sapphires significantly more than the M3TM and the M5 should have most of the M3's strengths

+ Highs on the M5 should be more extended and detailed.  Lack of crossover results in significant insight into mids and highs.  But still low fatigue like M3TM.

+ The tweeter on the M5 is up a higher than the M3TM.  That and the full dispersion of the tweeter results in an increase in sound stage height.  Should be wider as well.  Now a much bigger room may even the playing field for the M3TM IMO as controlled directivity becomes more of a benefit.  As a result the M3TM stage could project larger.

+ The new woofer and inductor coil for the Sapphire's is much better.  You should get better bass quality with the M5 when it comes to tone and detail.  Will also do its part of the midrange better IMO.  My guess is that the bass power of the M5 will be less than M3TM.  But bass power of the M5 has to be decent and may have that more palpable nature like the M3.  In other words with punch of ported box speaker without drawbacks.

+ I really like the M5 wood finish and think the M5 is more attractive.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2019, 01:37 pm by SnowPuppy77 »

VonHess

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2019, 01:14 am »
Great insight, thanks.

yakbob

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2019, 01:48 pm »
Consider the size of your room and whether or not you'll be running one or more subwoofers.

I'm not sure I'd want to give up the M3's two additional  15" drivers due to the open baffle design of both. While I haven't heard the new sapphires, there is a displacement difference.

Rosswell105

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2019, 11:19 pm »
I had the same issue choosing between M3TM and M5. Not having heard OB speakers, it was a tough decision. M3TM costs around $2000-2500 but it is an old technology - according to Clayton. I had M5 for about 2-3 wks and I have no regret. If any, M3 might have been better, but my listening room is too small for M3. The base is not an issue. In my setting, M5 goes to down to 32-34Hz. I am not sure of M3TM spec but I doubt it’s base is better than M5. After about 130-150hr of playing the speakers opened up nicely. The height of sound stage is one of the best I have ever heard.  One note was it took me a day or so to get used to the look of OB speakers, but the wood finish is beautiful.

James Edward

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2019, 12:04 am »
I'd go with the M3TM. I have the M3 Turbo S, and as has been said, the extra woofer is a big give up. The M3 Turbo S ain't too shabby either. Also, the price difference would help us armchair decision makers seal the deal one way or the other...

thetakeout

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2020, 09:11 pm »
Rosswell

what amp/preamp do you have with your m5's?

geerock

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2020, 11:39 pm »
In my humble opinion go with the latest model for a little more money.  Clayton wouldn't have replaced an older model unless there was a significant change to the new ones.  Sooner or later you will want to upgrade probably, so why not get the current model? 

ric

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2020, 01:34 pm »
I don't know, "worth the extra money" is such a subjective area. If you can afford it, go for it. As someone (possibly here) once said, when you buy quality, it only hurts your pocketbook once" (paraphrasing).
I have the Turbo S, and DID upgrade the crossovers, because even though I love the Turbo S' soundstaging, slam, liveness, etc., the poor quality crossover parts covered up a lot of what they are capable of. Good luck!