any Hyperion 906 owners?

Itzibitzi

any Hyperion 906 owners?
« on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:52 am »
Hi,
my name is Brian. I live in Denmark and I'm new to this forum. I would like to know if there are any 906 owners here? I have some questions for you, cause I feel a little confused right now.  :?

I have recently bought a pair of 906's, and are quite happy for them. The idea of the M.F.D.S spiderless units, made me wanna try these speakers. Now I have listened on them for about 3 months, and still love their sound. But......the other day I was curious to see how they look from the inside. I remowed the screws and was surprised to see that the bass/midrange speaker has a "Spider" and not the M.F.D.S system, as shown on their homepage: http://www.hyperionsound.com/m_f_d_s_.htm  :o

I took a picture of the units in my speakers, so you can see that it has a Spider. Does anyone knows why it doesn't use the M.F.D.S units? I felt pretty disappointed, as the homepage claims that it's fitted with that  :(

If anyone here has a 906, I would kindly ask them to check if their speakers also have conventional "spider" units, and not the M.F.D.S system.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 12:11 pm by Itzibitzi »

Roy S

Re: any Hyperion 906 owners?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2008, 05:35 pm »
Hyperion's website states that the 906 uses a SVF driver with spider. As far as I know, the spiderless drivers are confined to the midrange drivers of the 938 and 968.

I think it's dangerous to use a spiderless design as the main driver due to the large extrusions coming from bass signals!

Itzibitzi

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2008, 04:25 pm »
Hi Roy,
thx for the reply. I did send a mail to Hyperion, asking the same questions, and they replied with almost same answers as you did.  :wink:
But I still find it very hard to understand why all reviews on the internet shows the speaker with the "Spiderless" units.? :scratch: I don't think I'm the only one, that's confused about the info on the Hyperion website. "Our  M.F.D.S replaces the spider completely, increase the driver speed dramatically, and enable the purity of sound reproduction."

I'm pretty sure that they have changed the info text within the last few days, so now it says "M.F.D.S. Driver with spider"
But can it be a M.F.D.S driver, when it's having a spider?  :?

I guess I have to accept this, and just enjoy the sound of these baby's. I simply love them and their performance  :drool:

Regards Brian

Roy S

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan 2008, 05:42 pm »
Brian,

The MFDS "technology" simply refer to the use of ferrofluid damping. Actually nothing new as this has been used in tweeters for many years already. Main reason is for better power handling. Hyperion extends this technology to the main drivers.

Cheers  :D