New Flagship Hyperion

miklorsmith

New Flagship Hyperion
« on: 4 Nov 2005, 04:58 pm »
Apparently, Hyperion is releasing a new Flagship model, the 968, along with a few other tasty-looking choices.  Check out the tiny teaser:

http://6moons.com/news/news.html

Dracule1

• Facilitator
New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2005, 05:05 am »
Thanks for the tip.  The HPS-968 is advertized to go down to 25 Hz with new aluminum woofer drivers and it's ported in the rear, unlike the 938 which is rated to 30 Hz and ported in the front.  Looks like you can adjust the tilt of the upper module too, like the Wilson Watt Puppies.  Tweeter looks differnt without the copper horn.  And looks like they rear ported the upper module which isn't necessarily a good thing.  What the hell is Rear Pressure Reduction Device?  I wish they could have done better with the aesthetics because they look almost identicle to the 938s. Although I don't like the sound of the Wilson Watt Puppies, I do like the looks - beefier looking with more rounded edges and better finish, but then again the Wilsons are over $20K.   Wonder what the MSRP will be?

Roy S

New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:18 pm »
The HWS-733 is more interesting to me. Looks like a mini floorstander 2-way design. Good for the bedroom  :)

ndeslions

New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2006, 11:41 pm »
The MRSP will be 6500$ i heard.

Roy S

CES
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2006, 01:24 pm »
Anyone going to CES? How did the new Hyperion speakers sound?

ndeslions

New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2006, 04:10 pm »
Still no one ? :(

Roy S

New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2006, 03:40 pm »
Hmm, maybe the 938 is so hard to beat that the new models from Hyperion can better it much...

Roeland

New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2006, 07:05 pm »
I haven't been to the CES (way to expensive for a student :D ), so I can't comment. I'm waiting till they arrive here and I have a chance on hearing them... It might take a while i think :(

Greetz from Belgium

Dracule1

• Facilitator
New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2006, 09:57 pm »
Well, a guy on Audiogon responded saying that he thought the 968 sounded just OK at CES.  I'm hoping it was just a set-up/room issue and not the speaker itself.  Hard to imagine the 968 not sounding better than 938s.

miklorsmith

New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2006, 10:06 pm »
Quote from: Dracule1
Hard to imagine the 968 not sounding better than 938s.

:lol:  :lol:

I knew what you meant, but, funny phrasing.

Roy S

New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2006, 06:27 pm »
By Mike Wright of Stereo Times:

"I had heard and read a lot of great things about the Hyperion speakers so I was eager to see what all the talk was about. I must admit that I was impressed by what I heard and enjoyed listening to the new Hyperion 968 loudspeakers ($6500/pair). The Hyperion speakers were being driven by the Hyperion’s HT845 amplifier ($4600) and BEC-P25 preamplifier ($1500) and a Sony SACD1 CD player. Hyperion’s own interconnect, speaker cables and power cords were used throughout. The sound was detailed, had a lot presence in the midrange that gave a very good portrayal of vocals and nice, full, tight bass. Not sure what the talk is about the Hyperion speakers but if you like the sound of music, you’ll like this line of electronics and speakers."

Dracule1

• Facilitator
New Flagship Hyperion
« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2006, 08:46 am »
Glad to hear someone liked the 968s.  The real question for us is how much better the 968s are compared to the 938s.  I hope someone will do a side to side comparison soon.