"R" Version of Omega speakers

Bayreuth

"R" Version of Omega speakers
« on: 17 Feb 2016, 12:27 pm »
Omega used to offer "R" versions of some of their speakers which included an upgrade to Cardas binding posts, Cardas Litz wiring and R compound applied to the inside of cabinet.  Louis still offers R compound as an option, and he can install just about any type of binding posts or wiring as an option also.  Louis said that a high percentage of his speakers are now sold without these options.  The standard binding posts and Supra wiring are all very high quality.  The R compound adds more cabinet dampening, reduces cabinet resonance and standing waves, with some improvements in midrange.

Does anyone have any experience with R compound, upgraded binding posts or wiring on current Omega models?  How much improvement is offered by R compound compared to stock versions?  I expect there will be some subtle differences with these options because every component impacts the sound quality, but wondered if these effects are minimal for the added cost. 

Thanks for your comments.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: "R" Version of Omega speakers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2016, 02:40 pm »
I recently sent Louis some of our internal wire, a set of tube connectors, and a sheet of No Rez. It should be a notable upgrade over what was previously used including what was just mentioned. Louis was going to install it all into something to try it out. So maybe he'll have some feedback pretty soon.

OmahawkSCM

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2016, 04:03 pm »
I would be interested in this as well. Looking for a way to squeeze even more magic out of these Omega speakers!!

Ultralight

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2016, 06:15 pm »
Danny, fantastic. I've been thinking about that but wasn't sure.  Good that Louis will test it out. 

The Omegas are such high performers that they are really worth maxing out.

I recently sent Louis some of our internal wire, a set of tube connectors, and a sheet of No Rez. It should be a notable upgrade over what was previously used including what was just mentioned. Louis was going to install it all into something to try it out. So maybe he'll have some feedback pretty soon.

radarnyc

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2016, 01:51 pm »
Just wondering if there was any feedback on these upgrades. Thanks

Sense63

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2016, 08:05 pm »
I own both the SAMs and the new floor stander with the R compound and it makes a significant difference IMO.  Prior to these models, I owned the 7" Alnico monitor without the R compound and it wasn't quite as tonally accurate.  The R compound really tightens up the presentation and provides more of the "magic" the Omegas are known for.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2016, 01:46 am »
Hi Bayreuth,

Thanks and your right I did offer R versions. The most important was the R compound. This material made the biggest difference. I have been using it for over 12 years and it's a very heavy vinyl/silica based sheet that's about a 1/4 inch thick. I lay it up underneath the damping  inside of the cabinet. I will be offering it again as an option and it does come standard already in all my DeepHemp/DeepOmega subs. It adds more definition and a cleaner more articulate mid range. The results are amazing. Adds a lot more weight to the cabinet too.

I'm a big fan of Supra cable and it's standard. I have made many speakers with Dave's excellent Zenwave cable inside. This is an excellent upgrade.

Danny's tube connectors are also an upgrade path with great results. Banana only, but far less metal than most posts.

Thanks again,
Louis