The Jeff Hedback connection

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
The Jeff Hedback connection
« on: 23 Apr 2011, 11:35 am »
I've been in communication with studio and dedicated room designer/fixer Jeff Hedback, and he has introduced me to an internal damping technique that has worked quite well for me.  Briefly, I asked Jeff to imagine that he was tasked with solving the room resonance modes of a certain Mr. Mouse, whose home just happened to have the same internal dimensions as one of my speaker cabinets.  I had in mind a particular technique that I'd read about, but Jeff steered me in a different (and considerably less expensive) direction, which imo worked extremely well.  His approach doesn't use anything really "new", but uses things in ways that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. 

I am extremely impressed with Jeff's ability to come up with an innovative and practical solution to "room problems" in this very unorthodox "room".   I am quite confident he's equally if not more adept at making improvements in rooms sized a bit closer to the norm.  Jeff is not selling stuff; he's selling knowledge; namely what stuff will do you the most good and how to use this stuff optimally.  You can spend a great deal of money on the wrong room treatment tools for your particular room and goals, or less money on Jeff's analysis and knowledge + enough of the right tools to deliver the end result you wanted.   

Jeff posts around here from time to time, but I had no idea "who" he was in the industry until we'd been in communication for a while.  I'd like to introduce you to him.  Meet Jeff Hedback.  His contribution will be inside my speakers from now on.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: The Jeff Hedback connection
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2011, 11:45 am »
Sounds interesting.  Can you tell us more without telling us exactly what he / you are doing?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2011, 11:51 am »
Hmmm.... I think any hint would be a potential give-away, sorry.  I can tell you that it does not involve internal Helmholtz resonators tuned to certain frequencies... that is the idea I had originally fixated on. 

Okay, I'll tell you this much, as I think it's something I've gone on record with before:  One of the products I use is Danny Ritchie's No Rez.  I have been using it for a while and like it very much. 

One of the overly simplistic tests I do at some point just out of curiosity (and perhaps not even worthy of being called a "test") is to snap my fingers inside the cabinet and see what it sounds like.  Too "live" is obvious... but I also think there is such thing as too "dead".  With the Hedback approach, I noticed that the finger-snap sounded just like a finger-snap, only quieter.  It was like the spectral balance of the fingersnap wasn't distorted; rather, the amplitude was diminished but the spectral balance remained pretty much intact.  I did not expect this, but with speakers in box I like what I'm hearing.  It's like what he's doing inside the box is somewhat analogous to what I'm trying to do outside the box, out in the room. 

KJ

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2011, 01:33 pm »
Quote from: Duke
You can spend a great deal of money on the wrong room treatment tools for your particular room and goals, or less money on Jeff's analysis and knowledge + enough of the right tools to deliver the end result you wanted.

Well said.  Jeff is a wealth of knowledge and a master at what he does.  He'll unravel the mysteries of your room and offer multiple avenues of attack while maintaining a constant check on your stated goals in a cost effective manner.  I have no doubt he can assist on challenges whether they exist inside or outside the speaker itself.

Can't recommend Jeff enough.  My room completely transformed as a result of his expertise.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2011, 02:16 pm »
Jeff is the man!  I love what he did for my room transformation, and his knowledge not only of my acoustics, but of the likely dispersion patterns and tonality of my speakers (waveguides from Sp Tech), etc....all remotely!   A Duke-plus-Jeff combo is a killer combo.   :thumb:

Jerrin

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2011, 02:35 pm »
Best of all, Jeff is very nice and is super knowledgeable.  He is currently working on my future listening room and trust me, he is VERY patient.

A pleasure to work with and he is full of great ideas.  I should have sought out his help years ago.  He gets an A++ from me.

Will2

« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2011, 02:40 pm »
A Duke-plus-Jeff combo is a killer combo.   :thumb:

I can't speak with the benefit of any results yet but I have to say that working with Jeff on my room has been a pleasure so far - and with Duke's Dream Makers as my main speakers (coupled with surrounds we're trying to work on together right now) I'm really looking forward to the results.

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2011, 03:26 pm »
Cool timing! I just met with Jeff for my initial consultation on wednesday for my attic build. We have the benefit of living in the same city too!
He proposed some very interesting ideas that really wowed me.
 The props in this thread so far, are a quick testament to how talented and busy he must be... I am truly honored and beyond excited to be working with him.

mikeeastman

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2011, 04:13 pm »
We'er only part way though doing my room, but I have to whole heartily agree , Jeff is great to work with. Even though I'm very new at this , Jeff make it a very collaborative effort and really tries to balances the sound with the aesthetics. He also gave me a great suggestion for a sub I'm building, lining the inside with built up layers of lead shot mixed with a sound deadening material.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2011, 04:35 pm »
He also gave me a great suggestion for a sub I'm building, lining the inside with built up layers of lead shot mixed with a sound deadening material.

Very very interesting.  Care to explain more about this?

Jeffrey Hedback

• Industry Participant
  • Acoustical Design & Consulting
    • Acoustical Design & Consulting
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2011, 04:52 pm »
well...thank you to each.  You are all greatly appreciated. 

I do want to point out to Mike E that the sub construction method must have been someone else, 'cause I know it wasn't me.

Duke, you're awesome.  He did in fact propose a quandary of mouse proportions.  It's a TRUE honor to have assisted in any way.

I'm very humbled by the support.

mikeeastman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2011, 05:17 pm »
My bad, early onset Alzheimer's, it was actually Clayton Shaw who made the suggestion. What I'm doing is painting on a layer of e-dead ,from Elemental Design, then a layer of lead shot spread over the e-dead while its still wet, then after that has set up I do it agin until I have a 3/8"-1/2" layer. After that has fully curd I plan to line with no-rez.

Clarity

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2011, 07:34 pm »
I am with Clarity Incorporated, sound reinforcement system design and build company.  We have, for years, used Jeff's amazing talent for churches, recording studios and other spaces.  His gentile manner, incredible sounding results, and ethic are beyond reproach.  You will not get a better design elsewhere. 

Jeff is amazing!

arthurs

« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2011, 11:29 pm »
I probably need to get to know this Jeff Hedback person.....   :D 

Jerrin

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2011, 02:15 pm »
I probably need to get to know this Jeff Hedback person.....   :D

You know...if you need a referral, I could probably do that for ya Art.     :icon_lol: