New Guy Assembling a System (on the cheap)

Scott F.

« on: 13 Mar 2004, 11:05 pm »
Hi Guys,

I just got off the phone with Nick B.
Nicks been lurking for a little while around GAS (Say Hi Nick) and asked for some help assembling a decent system on the cheap. Nick is an Architecture student down at Wash U, recently engaged and wants to get into hi-end (the bugs been nibbling at him).

By on the cheap I mean dirt cheap. Less than $500 (lower if possible) top to bottom. This means used gear almost exclusively. I think we all can probably help him out.

His room is about 12x25. His musical tastes are rock, jazz and classical (pretty much in that order). He prefers a mid-hall or slightly relaxed sound.

I've got a fair amount of used gear sitting around. I can throw in a Spectro Acoustics SS pre (has a nice phono stage) and I might be able to find a decent Spectro amp in my pile.

He'll need a decent CD player and pair of speakers. I mentioned to him the Philips line of CD players (at Best Buy). They are cheap and don't do too bad a job on music, a little agressive but not too bad. I also mentioned spending a tad more on a decent Denon.

For speakers, he has a slightly larger room and could probably use a 3 way with a 10" or 12" woofer. Any suggestions? Maybe Zah or Rich (at Maplewood Pawn) has a pair - cheap. That or maybe one of you guys has an old pair of speakers gathering dust?

The Spectro gear doesn't sound too bad but if anybody has something a little more relaxed (the Spectro's are bi-polar SS) it might be a better fit, please list it.

My thought is to have everybody with spare gear (that might want to help Nick get going) post it here. After we all post, we can figure out what will sound the best (demo it of course) and help to corrupt another lost audio soul.

I'll start with the gear listing.

Pre - Spectro Acoustics 217R, SS with a nice phono stage - condition 8/10
Tuner - Marantz 2100 - condition 7/10
Amp - Spectro Acoustics 200R, 100wpc, condition 8/10
IC's and Cables - I'm bound to find something

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2004, 11:17 pm »
see the 500$ system post at starter circle-all your looking for is there

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2004, 01:17 am »
For what it's worth, they've been raving about the Toshiba 3950 DVD player used as a CD player over on AudioAsylum, the Digital Forum. $60 at BestBuy--they claim it has a big soundstage, plays forward with very smooth mids and highs, very little grain, light on bass until it burns in. I haven't heard one, just passing it along. I noticed it's mentioned in some of the $500 systems that Rosconey refers to as well.
steve k

Mike D

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2004, 01:20 am »
I have broke musician friends who ask me this question about twice a year.  This is my most recent, and researched answer:  Pioneer Elite $500 receiver (this will allow room for the inevitable HT bug with a good power supply to back up 2 channel honesty) and Klipsch Reference 3 series 2 floor standing speakers  ($500 off the internet).  The dynamics of this pairing is surprising.  When I first heard these speakers with my Jolida 302a, my friend and I both were flabbergasted with the untapped capabilities of these seemingly frat house speakers.  My friend was the former director of the U of Illinois Jazz department who ownes Hartsfields drivers in JBL theater horn cabinets.  He was as shocked as I when these speakers met a fine amp.  

With the Klipsch Reference 3 series 2 speakers and the Pioneer Elite OR Denon reciever in stereo 2 channel mode, you will be entering a new world that will soon lead to addiction.  The Jolida sells for about $850 if you shop.  

Warning: if you meet me, I will turn you on to tubes and Klipsch.  You will soon find yourself dreaming of music.   8)

Gabes Dad

Thanks for the help!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2004, 06:17 pm »
Hey everyone, it's Nick.

I appreciate all the help and advice you guys have offered so far.  As an architecture student, I spend a lot of time working on projects late into the night/morning and so I burn through my collection music quite quickly, as well as many others.  This has helped me to really fall in love with listening to music.

Last summer, I bought my first piece of equipment that was a step towards better sound - a pair of Grado SR60 Headphones.  Listening to a favorite recording with these made me begin to realize what all I have been missing.

At the end of this May I will be graduating and getting married :o !  So, to help warm up the new house, and to satisfy my longing for sweet sounding music, I wanted to put together a system as Scott puts it "on the cheap."  Here were my thoughts about the progression of my system based on my budget.  Start of with a pair of speakers powered by an old 1970's Pioneer receiver I have but soon upgrading to better int. amp. or pre and amp.  I wanted use a pc with possibly a new m-audio sound card as a source and eventually add a nice turntable as my music collection grows.

I know that you all have advice or ideas in regard to what I was thinking and I would love to hear what you think.

I would like to make it down to the next meeting, but I have other obligations that weekend.

Again, thanks for the help - I am excited already!

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2004, 08:10 pm »
Depending on what they guys who know say, maybe you could keep the 1970s Pioneer receiver and have the gentleman from Musical Concepts/Musical Desing modify it to your tastes.  The gentleman I am refering to is here in St. Louis, but I have not met him.  If you look through the posts here, you will find his name. Go to his web page and check out what he has done.  www.musicalconcepts.com.  Based on what is on his webpage, he would be able to modify about anything if he has time.  He is changing locations.  There is another gentleman who would be able to help you.  I believe he ownes a store in St. Louis as well.  His signature says "JoLida mods" among other things.  If he can modify JoLidas and has the time, he would be able to help you.  Scott F makes a hobby of building audio toys.  A private email to him may really help you out.  Any of these guys would be able to tell you if keeping the older Pioneer and modifying it would or woudn't be wise.

When I was in your shoes, I bought a JoLida amp for around $500.  It is still used.  It has been incredibly reliable.  Not even the slightest issue for 10 years!

Gabes Dad

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2004, 05:12 pm »
Mike D, thanks for the advice about musical concepts, however it doesn't appear that this will work out.  Here's what John at Musical Concepts had to say:

"Sorry to be blunt, but Nick a product of this age would need a total restoration to start with so I see it as not worth the effort. At any rate we would not be interested in such a project. "

Even if I did choose to use the old receiver, and thus needing to restore it, would it be worth it and where could I have this done? Alpha Audio Labs?

Also, I was thinking about DIY from what I read in the starter circle.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a speaker DIY project for me, or does anyone perhaps have an old DIY project that they would be willing to let go of for a reasonable price?

Figo

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2004, 07:54 pm »
for $500 what I would do:

build a fostex Fe207 voigt pipe ($300)

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ11.html

build this ultra simple SET amp($150)

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblok.htm

and the toshiba cd player mentioned earlyer($60)

total = $510

easy, cheap, and should sound superb.

or, if you want super detail over warmth and musicality:

Sennheiser HD600s used - $200
scott nixon DacKit $110 DIY
NEC CDR 602 transport $20
go to your local dump and pick up any vintage technics/marantz/fisher receivers.  There should be at least 1 or two any day.
$330

sturgus

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2004, 01:41 am »
Hey Scott,
We need to find Nick an old Fisher or Scott and a nice speaker kit. I also remember seeing an APT/Holman preamp at Rich's shop for cheap. I could talk to Lloyd, the guy who use to do the repair for( Speaker and Stereo). He always has a few speakers for sell real cheap.

Sturgus

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2004, 12:33 am »
When I was in your shoes, I bought a JoLida amp for around $500. It is still used. It has been incredibly reliable. Not even the slightest issue for 10 years!

Hey, Jolida has only been making amplifiers for 9 years. What are you trying to pull here? Huh? Just busting your balls.

I have a nice pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers in great shape that I would let go for $125?? They need only grill cloth but sound great, especially with tube gear.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2004, 12:38 am »
Oh! I forgot. If you are looking to add a tuner into this affordable system, I still have a Dynaco FM-5 SS tuner somewhere for about $45 bucks.

drummerwill

Vup Nick D.I.Y. is the way to go
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2004, 03:22 am »
For a nice DIY speaker cheap. Go to Gateway Electronics and get 2 of their little 5 1/4" fullrangers $10 bucks a piece. Put it in a voight horn or
 any other back horn, and you got some fun.
  If you have soldering skills and can understand schematics then build
 a simple amplifer.
   If you don't have skills then go for a used vintage piece. Then have it gone over by a pro. Alpha Tech is good.
     Anyway welcome to the group and keep your ears opened!
     Have fun
       Willie

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2004, 03:28 am »
If you come across some high-e speakers, look at the little 8 watt DIY tube amp from S5 Electronics. I think it is still only $139. I bought and built one when they first came out and still use it to this day. If nothing else, they are a lot of fun and don't sound to bad! Honestly.

electricbear

used gear
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2004, 05:12 pm »
I have a Mac 1700 receiver that I'm putting new outputs in to replace blown ones. If this works I'd part with it for $100. It has a tube tuner and solid state amp. This might make a good starter piece for a budget system. :)

Scott F.

Re: used gear
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2004, 06:49 pm »
Quote from: electricbear
I have a Mac 1700 receiver that I'm putting new outputs in to replace blown ones. If this works I'd part with it for $100. It has a tube tuner and solid state amp. This might make a good starter piece for a budget system. :)

Very nice!

If Nick mates that with Bill's (from Response Audio) Dynaco A25's (at $125), add a nice Denon CD player, and there you have it!

Hey Tim, got any decent used CD players in stock?

brun099

« Reply #15 on: 29 Mar 2004, 03:29 pm »
The dyna a-25's are a decent sounding speaker.  i have a pair in storage in rolla, although i am not planning to get rid of them.  i am going to be selling a pair of altec 755c's if anyone is interested in them.  i don't really have any low $ equipment to get rid of currently.  i have cleaned  all of mine out to move up to better gear.  ask tim about my amps, i brought em into his store a couple weeks ago, the brass mono-blocks

brun099

« Reply #16 on: 29 Mar 2004, 03:29 pm »
The dyna a-25's are a decent sounding speaker.  i have a pair in storage in rolla, although i am not planning to get rid of them.  i am going to be selling a pair of altec 755c's if anyone is interested in them.  i don't really have any low $ equipment to get rid of currently.  i have cleaned  all of mine out to move up to better gear.  ask tim about my amps, i brought em into his store a couple weeks ago, the brass mono-blocks

Scott F.

« Reply #17 on: 29 Mar 2004, 11:06 pm »
Ooou a new guy :!:  Hiya brun099.

Altec 755's. Bet Willie might be interested in those. So tell us about the Brass Monoblocks.