..you folks seen this yet!! Astell & Kern AK100

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
..you folks seen this yet!! Astell & Kern AK100
« on: 10 Apr 2013, 09:18 am »

http://www.aloaudio.com/ak100
The new portable I saw at Alo, 24/192, Wolfson DAC, 32 GB internal PLUS - 2 MicroSD slots each holding up to 32GB more = 96GB total !!! damage done to finances is  $699

eclein

• Volunteer
Re: ..you folks seen this yet!! Astell & Kern AK100
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2013, 04:43 am »
.....I mention the cell phone not just because it's there in addition to this player, but more because outdoor use really masks detail, the kind of detail you're paying a bunch for. This player would make sense to me in a hotel or in a waiting room/office where the background noise level is comparable to being at home, but not so much outdoors or on public transport where the noise levels mask the hi-fi detail.
I never thought of that before but your right, with good sealed IEM's its less of an issue but thats something I hadn't considered before. Just the fact that while I'm walking or just out and about whatever takes the music to a different spot/focus in my mind while listening anyway.
 You also wrote that..."It certainly seems more convenient than having an iPod etc. with an outboard DAC/amp that's connected by cable and strapped together. " which is another consideration for me. I used to have a HM-602 from Hifiman that I sorely miss (had to sell it to get some quick cash awhile back), and everytime I step out with my current rig/s all lashed together with a stylish rubber band I think about picking up another similar piece to the 602 and this one is a totally new one in my consciousness.

Has anybody heard this one? Know anything about the manufacturer etc......

Steven Stone

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2013, 08:45 pm »
Thanks guys.....well I just added another thing to my "get before I forget too" list. (You have to be old like me to get the "forget too" reference).
I appreciate you guys taking the time to inform us!!!! :thumb:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2013, 09:07 pm »
Seems tempting. Fiio is also launching a cheaper media player (the X3) but we will have to wait to see how they compare.

Btw Glad to see more reviewers joining Audiocircle. I've seen some of Steve's writings.

ejlif

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:54 pm »
Here's a good reference review with 61 comments - these guys are pretty solid and reliable.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-player-astell-kern-ak100/

This guy really hated it didn't have much of anything good to say about it. Seems weird other reviewers are raving about it saying iPod is not even in the same league at all.

ejlif

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2013, 04:56 pm »
For me the big selling feature of this player is the ability to play ALAC files. That is how all my music is stored.

WC

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2013, 07:06 pm »
For me the big selling feature of this player is the ability to play ALAC files. That is how all my music is stored.

So can an iPod. :scratch:

ejlif

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2013, 03:28 pm »
So can an iPod. :scratch:

Yes bu I mean a high sound quality portable like the hifi man for example won't play ALAC. There are few other not widely known players that won't play ALAC either.