Which Lamp DAC provides the best bang for the buck?

krisgel

Which Lamp DAC provides the best bang for the buck?
« on: 29 Aug 2019, 11:09 am »
Wondering which DAC will get 80% - 90% of the flagship Lamp DAC at 40% - 50% of the price? Assuming there is a DAC in the lineup that does this.

Shredder

Re: Which Lamp DAC provides the best bang for the buck?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2019, 03:33 pm »
Take a look at the Lampi Atlantic TRP  thread on What's Best. A number of people have favorably compared the TRP to the Pacific.

I recently had my Atlantic (balanced plus, DSD 512) upgraded to the TRP version. It is fantastic. I have not, however, been able to compare it to the Pacific. I heard the Pacific briefly at RMAF in 2017 and it was great. Obviously, my auditory memory is not good enough to make a fair comparison. Plus, the Pacific was mated with very different gear than my own.

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2019, 04:37 pm »
Wondering which DAC will get 80% - 90% of the flagship Lamp DAC at 40% - 50% of the price? Assuming there is a DAC in the lineup that does this.

krisgel,

I would second Shredder on his suggestion you strongly consider the TRP, which is our most popular DAC this season.   The feedback it has received is universally over the top and it delivers a lions share of the performance of our higher end pieces.  It's not quite a Golden Gate 2 it's is an absolutely class leading piece which would be at home in a million dollar system.  In fact I've listened to it extensively in a friends over the top system featuring Infiniti IRS Vs.

Here is an interesting video review a customer (at the time auditioned) of ours did on the TRP.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=_At1cvOlVzU

krisgel

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2019, 10:49 pm »
Thanks Gopher and Shredder. I will look into The Atlantic TRP.

Audiophile58

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2019, 03:32 pm »
How about the Lampi Amber -3 ?
With SS rectification , and with tube rectification ? Any feedback ?
I just had Vishay Hexfreds installed as a great alternative,very tube like but faster,and more accurate Bass
And no rectifiers tubes to replace . It doesnot miss a beat !!
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2019, 12:32 pm by Audiophile58 »

unitygain

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2019, 10:16 pm »
The Lampizator Atlantic TRP is my first Lampizator DAC. Even acknowledging the generous and helpful trade-up policy, I personally understand that digital source technology rests on quickly changing sands, so am entirely sympathetic with aiming for bang-for-buck; it's what I did here and I couldn't be happier.

I have had some good units: Audio Alchemy DDP-1/PS-5, Chord Qutest, PS Audio (DS and DSJr) in the past. The Lampizator blows them out of the water in terms of tactility, presence, and tone. So far, with the tubes I've rolled, I would say the Chord (best of the others) has moderately better attack, microdetail and bass control (if not profundity), but the Lampizator outdoes it in every other meaningful way: sound staging, tonal richness, and all the other things that let you feel and really connect with the music. Especially with the tubes, I'm using I have no urge to upgrade or switch.

I have tried the Soviet EL34s (stock), very fine NOS 1950s RCA 6v6 tubes, and now the plain old new Gold Lion KT-66s, which are my favorite. I also rolled in a 1950s NOS RCA rectifier tube, but am sticking with the new one that shipped in box. As much as I kind of wish I tried the Amber, the joy of tube-switching has been a real revelation, and will aid lifetime system matching. I have no regrets about buying this great unit!

soundslikemusic

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2019, 12:18 pm »
Any other experience someone can share ?
How about the Big 7 vs the Golden Atlantic Dac TRP ?

npdang

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2020, 06:37 pm »
A little late... but I had the same question months ago and could not get a response either.  I just upgraded from an Amber 3 to an Atlantic TRP so maybe this can help others.  The Amber 3 is very, very good.  You could easily stop there.  I could not find anything better from the usual suspects Chord, PS Audio, etc. if you like the Lampizator sound (natural, dynamic, upfront 3d presence).

The Atlantic TRP with stock tubes adds a somewhat modest, but noticeable improvement in clarity, dynamics, and soundstage size.  The biggest advantage in my opinion is the tube rolling aspect.  There is a larger difference in rolling tubes than between Amber and Atlantic with their stock tubes.  Once you dial in the TRP to your system and preferences, the difference to the Amber is quite large... at least to me.  The Amber by nature is not a meaty or harmonically dense sounding DAC, and being able to roll tubes to achieve that with the TRP was worth the difference in price.

twodolphins

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2020, 05:44 am »
In my opinion it would be Big 7