Fire Doors

Don_S

Fire Doors
« on: 29 Jul 2014, 03:04 pm »
I need to replace the door between my attached garage and house. Current code is 20 minutes.

Any experience would be appreciated.  HD offers hardboard and steel versions.  I can't understand why they both come with 4 9/16" jambs as standard.  Code here (and probably most other places) requires 5/8 sheetrock in the garage.  Add that to a standard stud and 1/2" sheetrock inside and that is 4 3/4".

What am I missing?  I am  :scratch: as to why manufacturers offer a standard jamb that is too small.

srb

Re: Fire Doors
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2014, 03:25 pm »
Standard width of a 2X4 stud in the US is 3-1/2"; adding 1/2" + 5/8" drywall = 4-5/8".  A 4-9/16" jamb would only be 1/32" low on each side and only 1/32" high on each side in locales where 1/2" drywall is used on both sides.

I'm assuming 4-9/16" was chosen as a nominal width suitable for either application where +/- 1/32" would hardly make any difference.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2014, 03:58 pm »
Did they shrink studs?  I always figured 3 5/8".  I have not done any new construction in decades.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2014, 04:14 pm »
Did they shrink studs?  I always figured 3 5/8".  I have not done any new construction in decades.

Don, now that you mention it I seem (?) to remember that 3-5/8" width from years ago too.  But I think it has been specced at 3-1/2" for quite some time and I just went and measured a stud purchased within the last few years and it measured ..... 3-1/2".

So let's get that door installed this weekend!

Steve

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2014, 04:24 pm »
My basement (studded last winter) is 3.5 per stud.

I have a steel door between house and garage.  Builder installed.

I don't know the thickness of the drywall in the garage though, and the specs could be different up here in Canada.

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2014, 04:26 pm »
Steve, mcgsxr,

Thanks for the responses.

My house was built in 1977.  I had a similar issue when I installed a new grade door on my garage.  5/8" T1-11 siding and 1/2" sheetrock.  I had to use 3/16" screen molding to fill the gap. Not a perfect fit but hey it is a garage and the door is the least of the uglies. I may have to do that on the garage side of the fire door.

No install this weekend.  I have to special order an outside swing version. All HD and Lowes stock are inside swing doors.  Besides I have a leak in my pool solar system.  A glue joint is leaking.  Cutting and cleaning pipe that is clamped tight to the roof is a pain.  Guess I will have to take off some brackets and reinstall them with new silicone. Glad it is only going to be 100 degrees the rest of the week.

Crap, it is always something. I am so tired of house repairs and remodeling.  The thrill is gone.