Flushing my tax refund down the toilet

Don_S

Re: Flushing my tax refund down the toilet
« Reply #40 on: 29 Mar 2014, 04:31 pm »
I am resurrecting this thread but shifting the focus.  My vanity cabinets arrive on Thursday--two weeks ahead of schedule.  :thumb:  Now I am scrambling to get all the other pieces and parts--floor tile, faucets, lights, sinks, etc.

I am still deciding between a Kohler Wellsworth or an American Standard Cadet 3.  Comments appreciated.

My new questions focus on faucets.  I have narrowed it down to several Moen models (Caldwell and Banbury). I think the Banbury might be too tall for my tastes. The issue is whether to go with wide spacing "separates" or "centered" 4" spacing.

The wide spacing units use plastic hoses and quick connects to connect each valve with the spout. Since these are pressure lines I worry about leaks, or worse--catastrophic failure of either a hose or connection. Yet they sell thousands of these and the assistant at Lowes said separates are the most popular now and they sell a lot of the Caldwell model I like.  The Caldwell also comes in a centered version which is significantly less expensive.  Since I need two and other things are costing me more than anticipated saving on faucets is welcome. However, since they are so important I am willing to spend extra if it is warranted.

I like the look of the separates better and feel more comfortable with spacing the holes in my quartz top farther apart. But the hose thing bothers me.

Centered is easier to install but essentially drills out most of the counter top at one location.

Regardless of which way I go, once the counter tops are drilled that is commitment to that style forever.  However, with Moen my thoughts are I am too old to worry about it.

Shared experiences would be appreciated. What do you prefer--separates or centered?  Should I worry about leaking separates?  All supply lines I provide will be screw on SS.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: 29 Mar 2014, 04:34 pm »
Tax refund?   :scratch:   What's that?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #42 on: 29 Mar 2014, 04:44 pm »
Tax refund?   :scratch:   What's that?
This.

I keep hearing those words, but I do not understand......  :dunno:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #43 on: 30 Mar 2014, 04:01 am »

I am still deciding between a Kohler Wellsworth or an American Standard Cadet 3.  Comments appreciated.

We renovated two bathrooms in recent years - installed a Kohler Cimmaron in the first reno, a Toto in the second. The Toto is better in every way. I would be unlikely to buy another Kohler toilet based on my experience with this one.

D.D.

Don_S

« Reply #44 on: 30 Mar 2014, 03:34 pm »
D.D.,

What specifically were the issues with the Kohler?  I have precious little to choose from here without resorting to internet ordering.  I also worry about purchasing parts in the future.  Lowes and Home Depot both stock parts for Kohler and American Standard.  If I would as a clerk for parts for a Toto he would tell me to go to Kansas.  :lol:

We renovated two bathrooms in recent years - installed a Kohler Cimmaron in the first reno, a Toto in the second. The Toto is better in every way. I would be unlikely to buy another Kohler toilet based on my experience with this one.

D.D.

sonik

« Reply #45 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:04 pm »
If you decide on the American Standard Cadet 3, make sure you inspect it before lugging it home.  We just purchased two Cadet 3s from Lowe's, and one had several serious flaws in the glazing.  Returned it with no problems - Lowe's is good that way - except for the time and effort.  They did not have a replacement in stock (10 inch rough-in), so I picked up a Gerber Viper at a local plumbing supply house.  Overall, I think the Viper is a better quality toilet.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #46 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:29 pm »
D.D.,

What specifically were the issues with the Kohler?  I have precious little to choose from here without resorting to internet ordering.  I also worry about purchasing parts in the future.  Lowes and Home Depot both stock parts for Kohler and American Standard.  If I would as a clerk for parts for a Toto he would tell me to go to Kansas.  :lol:

Hi: If you're eating a sandwich, put it down as there is no real way to euphemise the design problems with that unit. Plainly put, the flushing system that Kohler used on the Cimmaron doesn't work very well. You will need to double-flush more often than not. It also doesn't do a very good job of rinsing the bowl interior. Apparently a common issue according to the vendor I purchased it from. Needless to say, that little tidbit of information came a little late in the game. We would have been better off keeping the water-wasting old toilet we replaced.
If a toilet doesn't flush properly, what the hell good is it?  We didn't buy it for storage...:evil:

D.D.

finsup

« Reply #47 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:38 pm »
I realize the OP has said a comfort height toilet is not for him and the Toto Drake is out of his price range.  For others considering, I purchased a Toto Drake II comfort height with a soft close seat in 2012.  Not to be too graphic, but I have a couple of special needs children and one of them just seems to "hold it" for awhile.  He was constantly clogging our American Standard toilet.  Since the install, I have needed to unclog it just twice.

I plan on getting two more for the rest of the house.  I find the comfort height just that - comfortable.  The soft close lid is essential in our house since both boys were fond of just dropping the lid with a loud klang. Geez.

No mechanical issues yet.  It is loud but flushes very quickly.  The water tank fills quickly.

Don_S

« Reply #48 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:39 pm »
D.D.   I get the picture.  :no_see:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #49 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:58 pm »

Sorry Don, but it is what it is. :dunno:

D.D.

Don_S

« Reply #50 on: 30 Mar 2014, 09:05 pm »
I am having an awful time picking a faucet.  I am still undecided between a center set and wide spread. Reviews on modest priced faucets (up to $160 retail) are very mixed with some otherwise good products cheapened by exposed plastic parts.  I mean parts like the base covering or the "chin" under a low spout.

Has it been too long since I replace a faucet or am I missing some critical issue?  It seems that all the faucets I look at have a maximum deck thickness of ranging from 1"-1 3/8". Some manufacturers prominently mention an extension kit others do not.

Granite and quartz tops are either 3cm stand alone or 2 cm plus plywood backing. Why don't manufacturers make the threaded parts that protrude below the deck a fraction of an inch longer?  What am I not grokking?  :scratch: