Baseboards in the house

chip

Baseboards in the house
« on: 16 Jan 2014, 03:18 pm »
Let's see we have been in our house for a little over a year now. One of the next projects is the baseboards.

So when we moved in I am not sure if it was a project they had started but either way some of the trim they painted white and then there is a lot of trim left in oak.

The thought is to get it all white. Some ideas/thoughts
 -Cheapest way -  Just continue to paint the rest of the trim white. If we do this what is the best process? Can the baseboards be taken off easily or is it best to paint them as is?

- More expensive way ....Replace the trim with new White trim

Big Red Machine

Re: Baseboards in the house
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2014, 05:44 pm »
If both were not installed then pine or composite bb is cheaper.  Since it is installed, hire a good painter to paint it up.  It can be removed and reinstalled but why do that unless you suck as a painter.  I suck as a painter and always painted my trim in the 16 foot sections first and then just touched up after installation saving my back and flooring.  I also hate the composite/plastic cheapo moldings but man, even the basic pine trim is so costly these days.

Take your time and do what will give you the desired outcome for as long as you plan to stay.  A quality job makes you happy and helps resale.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2014, 06:10 pm »
Taping off the floor and wall as appropriate in order to paint in place is something I have done over the years.   I have also just used a piece of cardboard and jammed it under the baseboard for the section I was painting. 

Sometimes redoing the caulking at the top of the trim where it meets the wall after painting the trim can really make the difference.

Mdf molding seems to rule the affordable roost up here in Canada.  When we did the basement I painted the trim prior to install, but have had to touch up after installation for sure.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2014, 06:17 pm »
If it were me and there was baseboard to put on I'd have it installed.
Reason is you will have to fill nail holes+sand and paint them.
If you put latex caulk to finish off the top edge of the base board you paint that also as it will turn yellow if not painted.
New housing we will dust new drywall walls, prime+then sand walls next day and one finish coat of paint.
When all flooring,doors trim,base ect is installed,we will come back and fill all nail holes(2X)sand and caulk top edge of base+door frames start first coat of trim paint,then second walls.
Last we will final coat trim as then we can get a nice straight edge where the trim and wall meet.
Sometimes will use a 24"wall paper smooth edge knife to go along the top of the trim,but mostly by hand.
Good idea after first stroke of the brush is to wipe the knife off with a damp rag.
If there's too much paint on the knife from the brush it will go onto the wall.
Stroke/wipe ect.
Should add that if there is carpet under the trim we will put drywall tape under neath as you can push it under with a putty knife as the paper tape is quite tough.