A Legend of Motorsport Passes - Dan Gurney

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
A Legend of Motorsport Passes - Dan Gurney
« on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:52 pm »
One of the true gentlemen of modern motorsport passed on the 14th. For those who grew up in the 60's & 70's and enjoyed any form of auto racing he was an icon. If it had 4 wheels he could make it go faster, and drive it as well as the best. F-1, Indy cars, LeMans, CanAm, you name it Dan Gurney ran it, and ran it well. He was no slouch on two wheels either, designing his own motorcycle. Thank you for your fierce determination, ingenuity, and skill both at engineering & driving. Rest In Peace Mr. Gurney.

http://allamericanracers.com/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a15162343/american-racing-legend-dan-gurney-has-died/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: A Legend of Motorsport Passes - Dan Gurney
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2018, 09:58 pm »
In the 70s I started to buy magazines on F1 and I read Dan Gurney name in the F1 and CamAm races quite often. A era where pilots had a ethics code, honor and cars were manualy controled, no radio, no telemetry.
RIP

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2018, 10:06 pm »
Wow, we've lost a true legend within the sport of auto racing. There's not much Dan didn't touch. We in So Cal wouldn't have the Long Beach Grand Prix if it wasn't for Gurney.

Rest in wicked speed, Mr. Gurney.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2018, 10:11 pm »
Won the 1967 Belgium Grand Prix driving a car that he designed and built himself. The Gurney Eagle.

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm »
1967 LeMans ...........'Gurney & Foyt', two of my heroes, one left.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2018, 10:59 pm »
RIP, Mr. Gurney.  :cry:

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2018, 12:34 am »
RIP Mr. Gurney.  I went to high school with his sons Dan and Jim, I wish them and the entire Gurney family the best during this tough time.

Brett